Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    45

    Self-Righting Feature ... NOT

    OK, is it just me or does the self-righting feature not work!! I have tried at least a dozen times and no luck whatsoever!!
    Last edited by ntrovato; 04-17-2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: language

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    126
    I would stop trying if you like your drivetrain. I don't understand why they would add a feature like this.

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    110
    It's a neat feature and it works on terrain where the car can't slide. Is it good for the drivetrain heck no but when the car is 300ft away if it gets back on its feet it's nice to save the walk


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    162
    Mine works. I don't use it very often, but it's nice to have sometimes.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    5,644
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamState View Post
    Mine works. I don't use it very often, but it's nice to have sometimes.
    Pretty much this. Same here.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionisi View Post
    I would stop trying if you like your drivetrain. I don't understand why they would add a feature like this.
    And your facts of why his drivetrain may be in danger? I challenge you to find me a post where someone's drivetrain failed because of self-righting. Haven't seen a post on it yet. I've used it several times with no problem. With such a feature, don't you think a company like Traxxas made sure the drivetrain was up to par during initial testing of this truck???

    @ntrovato the self-righting works, BUT not 100% of the time. You have to be in PERFECT conditions for it to work. In sand it's iffy, on an un-even surface it's iffy, in grass it's iffy, MOST of the time it works on a FLAT dry surface. Speaking from experience.

    oh and I also learned that the self-righting doesn't work if the body you're running is trashed.
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 04-17-2016 at 09:24 PM.
    We are all one race. The human race.

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    And your facts of why his drivetrain may be in danger? I challenge you to find me a post where someone's drivetrain failed because of self-righting. Haven't seen a post on it yet. I've used it several times with no problem. With such a feature, don't you think a company like Traxxas made sure the drivetrain was up to par during initial testing of this truck???

    @ntrovato the self-righting works, BUT not 100% of the time. You have to be in PERFECT conditions for it to work. In sand it's iffy, on an un-even surface it's iffy, in grass it's iffy, MOST of the time it works on a FLAT dry surface. Speaking from experience.

    oh and I also learned that the self-righting doesn't work if the body you're running is trashed.
    Facts? No facts but also how do you know that the self righting didn't weaken a pinion and then the next few jumps did the diff in and then you thinking it was the jump. I can understand the 300 feet away save maybe but to each his own. I will rarely ever use it.Do you seriously think that every idea an rc company has come up with is a good idea. Take the tamiya tamiya terra crusher frat system, (forward reverse automatic trans) was so bad it rarely worked well. Yes that was back in the day and most won't remember it. Oh and challenge accepted even though it's not a post but a vid skip to 3:30

    http://youtu.be/REyVOklFTJo
    Last edited by Dionisi; 04-17-2016 at 10:04 PM.

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionisi View Post
    Facts? No facts but also how do you know that the self righting didn't weaken a pinion and then the next few jumps did the diff in and then you thinking it was the jump. I can understand the 300 feet away save maybe but to each his own. I will rarely ever use it.Do you seriously think that every idea an rc company has come up with is a good idea. Take the tamiya tamiya terra crusher frat system, (forward reverse automatic trans) was so bad it rarely worked well. Yes that was back in the day and most won't remember it. Oh and challenge accepted even though it's not a post but a vid skip to 3:30

    http://youtu.be/REyVOklFTJo
    All i'm saying is...you replying to the statement earlier that the self righting is a danger, which it is not. And yes I think a RC company like Traxxas in 2015 will learn from their mistakes and make a drive train that will handle the features they throw on a truck.

    Oh and thanks for the video. BUT to me this incident happening after he changed his gears sounds to me like he didn't adjust the slipper clutch properly and was over-tightened. Rookie mistake. All in all though, thanks for showing me my first "self righting fail" video out of the thousands that were made. Have yet to see an active member here post about it failing since the release in December.

    Peace.
    We are all one race. The human race.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    St. Helens, U.K.
    Posts
    631
    I've read quite a few posts on failures on 'a well known UK RC Forum', often quoting others sites' posted failures.

    I think that some of the drive trains are failing when its been used quite a lot, but what hasn't been clear in a lot of the posts where there have been failures is how many of these have changed gearing, or were even running on 8S, not 6S for example - this is possibly making the difference with some.

    Al.

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    582
    I used self righting many times with no failures except this last time. I believe it was because the wheels were still spinning fast when it hit the ground.

    Good


    Bad. Listen good.
    https://youtu.be/_zyif8DshZs

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    126
    Make that number #2. Snap right when the rear lands. Physics really, heavy tires spinning really fast hitting the ground also even more violent than a regular jump as with a jump you have some forward momentum.I mean yes these can be isolated incidents as well but my post wasn't intended to bash Traxxas. For me personally it's a flaw(that I feel anyways) doesn't really detract from the truck because I have the power to use it or not so its no big deal. It's the newbies that worry me as they might use it a lot and think it's fun to pull off then start hating on an amazing truck.

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    582
    Btw that was pure stock. I now have the spiral gears and 8s 1340. No way am I going to try it again. I'll walk the 300ft or better yet make my kids get it.

  13. #13
    RC Champion rizz0d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,168
    i used to use the self-righting a ton and loved it. i even thermal'd the truck once trying to self right it like 10 times back to back at the end of a run when i got stuck in the garden upside down(it was cold outside and i was in the living room). i did stop using it though since i put the spoiler on it and geared up from stock.
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

  14. #14
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    209
    Self righting can also be performed manually without the feature. The principle is really simple and it depends more on the tire and body equipped than anything else. All you need to do is flip the truck on its back with steering and throttle, then accelerate and brake in rhythm as body rocks back and forth. Need a rigid enough round back body to do that with nothing impeding the body rock.

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    St. Helens, U.K.
    Posts
    631
    The Walk of Shame is good exercise, humbling and teaches you to try harder next time to avoid tumbling ....

    Silly comments aside, as above, there must have been some development work performed to convince the 'powers that be' that it's safe to install into a relatively large and heavy truck.

    When I FINALLY build mine, in a couple of months, not sure if I'll be using the feature or not - I prefer the extra exercise!!
    Al.

  16. #16
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4
    6 times I've tried, never once has it been successful.

  17. #17
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    42
    Me too, I probably tried six time also and it never worked. It does not try to turn led or right...

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Wi
    Posts
    274
    I never use self right or reverse. Vehicle well last longer.it really would be awesome if came with balanced wheels too. Aftermarket well kick in soon,made for it.

  19. #19
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    105
    mine never worked it wont even rock, it just spins the tires when i press it, i can do it manually my self though so i know its not a power issue, i dont mind since i dont care to use it anyway, but if i had to guess why mine does not work is maybe its need calibration ?

  20. #20
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    18
    Broke a dog bone using the feature. It sucks!

  21. #21
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Vienna, WV
    Posts
    15
    I don't use it every time because like someone posted earlier, the conditions have to be right when you use it. It doesn't like wet grass or uneven surfaces like a hill. I don't think it puts any more strain on the differential any more than my 8 yr old running it all over God's green creations. I see people not even using it properly, example is: you only hold the set button on the remote until the wheels start moving, then LET GO of the button, give it a chance for a little bit to self right, if it doesn't straighten itself on it's back & start rocking well, hit the throttle once to make it stop. Something breaks & some people like to say it was the self right feature: couldn't have been all those jumps at the skate park on concrete, nope, they think it had to be the self right. I don't use it all the time, but I do know how to use it properly & I do use it especially if conditions are right & the truck is far away. It is an Awesome feature. It took a few times initially for mine to really start working well, maybe there is a break in period? Also when I first bought it I heard the talk that "It's rough on the diff, etc" & I was too cautious with it stopping it before it really got rocking. I suggest to go out and run it in some big water puddle to get the tires soaked & the lay the truck on it's back. Hold the set button down until the wheels start moving, then LET GO of the button. Let it do it's thing & watch it amazingly self right, you'll feel better & will appreciate the self right feature

  22. #22
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Vienna, WV
    Posts
    15
    A perfect example is shown in the 24 second video above that is "suppose" to show some kind of problem with the self right, even in the short 24 second clip the guy launched the truck 6 feet in the air full throttling until it hit and bounced on the ground tumbling end over end. Immediately he begins pressing the set button on the remote while the camera makes sure to show this, but it doesn't show whether he released the button after the wheels began to move, nor can we tell if the grass is wet, (like I posted earlier, self right doesn't like wet grass). What this video also doesn't show is the whole entire hour if not longer (like days) before-hand of the compilation of monsterous jumps/crashes or abuse this truck had to take before those diffs finally gave. This is just my honest opinion no offense meant to anyone

  23. #23
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Salado Tx
    Posts
    171
    Slipper clutch adjustment is also critical for self righting. I have used mine enough now to know when it will or will not work. When the conditions are right and the truck is a long way from you the self righting feature is pretty nice.

  24. #24
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    45
    Really strange how it works great for some people and not at all for others. I've tried mine on perfectly flat surfaces, grassy surfaces(not wet), and everything else I could think of to test it out and it has never worked once for me!!!

  25. #25
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    209
    I highly doubt that the driveline failure can be caused by self righting feature without anything happened prior to performing self righting. If people can drive the truck with 4 wheels down and all the weight on top no problem, when the car is upside down, all the driveline need to overcome is only the friction in the driveline plus the weight of the tires, which is significantly less stress than driving around with the right side up (driveline needs to overcome the friction in driveline, weight of the entire truck, plus the friction between tire and road).

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    582
    Quote Originally Posted by ntrovato View Post
    Really strange how it works great for some people and not at all for others. I've tried mine on perfectly flat surfaces, grassy surfaces(not wet), and everything else I could think of to test it out and it has never worked once for me!!!
    Did you do the firmware upgrades? maybe that will fix it.

  27. #27
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    582
    Quote Originally Posted by hsiftak View Post
    A perfect example is shown in the 24 second video above that is "suppose" to show some kind of problem with the self right, even in the short 24 second clip the guy launched the truck 6 feet in the air full throttling until it hit and bounced on the ground tumbling end over end. Immediately he begins pressing the set button on the remote while the camera makes sure to show this, but it doesn't show whether he released the button after the wheels began to move, nor can we tell if the grass is wet, (like I posted earlier, self right doesn't like wet grass). What this video also doesn't show is the whole entire hour if not longer (like days) before-hand of the compilation of monsterous jumps/crashes or abuse this truck had to take before those diffs finally gave. This is just my honest opinion no offense meant to anyone
    Grass is dry. First time jumping it. Hardly used before. Held down the button on both videos until it just was about vertical. If you watch both videos the timing is slightly off. First one the tires slowed down before it was about to flip over. The 2nd video the tires are still spinning fast when it hit the ground. If the diffs broke on the jump I'm pretty sure you would hear it ticking while trying to flip over.

    I believe self righting works find but you have to make sure the tires are not spinning too fast when it touches ground. Use the brakes just in case. I think I successfully used it 3 times before the last one.

  28. #28
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1

    Tire Warning...

    I just recieved my X-maxx from Kershaw Designs three days ago and have used the self righting feature 4 or 5 times with great success. Be warned though, the last time I used it the tire ballooned to the point that it touched the body or frame and ruptured the tire. I don't blame Traxxas for this. I was running a Leopard 5874 with 6s batteries, I think it was too much power. I just posted here so other could learn from my mistake.

    Anyway, new tires are on the way and I'll be up and running soon.

  29. #29
    RC Champion Redsawacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    2,704

    Thumbs up

    Actually, using the self righting feature has less stress on the driveline than slamming on the brakes when driving. All you're doing is stopping the wheels from turning when it is upside down. You're not slamming it from forward to reverse. And when you hit the brakes while driving, you're subjecting the driveline to the weight of the vehicle.

    So, I do not fear this option. I use it daily and I have yet to damage a single component on my truck...I stand corrected, the back corner of the body is starting to tear.

    I think the tires will wear out before I break components in the driveline.

    Point to ponder:

    When you change the gear ratio or add a bigger motor/esc for more speed, you're creating more stress on the driveline during self-righting as well since the tires are now spinning faster while using the feature as well as under normal driving operations.
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 04-27-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    "RED"

  30. #30
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Turks and Caicos Islands, BWI
    Posts
    657
    Self-Righting Feature... works best BONE STOCK I found. It has never failed me. If you upgrade spur and pinion and motor and ESC... be mindful that there is no guarantee that it will work like its supposed to. Objectively step back and look at the big picture, you will see its a neat feature that we all had - manually! Hail Traxxas for selling the semi-automatic version!
    Ray00
    E–Revo │ E-Revo BE
    ITCHY THROTTLE FINGER!

  31. #31
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2
    Mine sliced the tire on the body trying to rite itself

  32. #32
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    29
    When it does work it takes forever.
    Gas/ brake, gas/ brake a few times manually and it will go right over. It's just timing when you hit the brake and that's pretty simple.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. #33
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1
    I uses the self righting system yesterday with m'y pede vxl on 3s, and all I got is a rear left tire ripper apart ��. I will not use it again.

  34. #34
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    St. Helens, U.K.
    Posts
    631
    There are several RC fans, X-Maxx included, who are not as agile as many, some even wheelchair-bound I've read, for which the self-righting is a real bonus.

    The sudden forwards / forwards / forwards is a big NO, NO generally, and I think perhaps some of the failed ones may have had changed gearing ... who knows.

    I won't be using it on mine, but some will depend on it.
    Sorry about your tyre!!

    Al.

  35. #35
    RC Qualifier rtmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Across river Portland,Or.
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by atom3624 View Post
    There are several RC fans, X-Maxx included, who are not as agile as many, some even wheelchair-bound I've read, for which the self-righting is a real bonus.



    Al.
    That was the excuse I used when I 1st told the old lady I wanted to spend $1k on another rc, lol.

  36. #36
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    14
    Self-Righting does not work anymore after I installed the 8S upgrade kit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •