Thread: Alias Batteries

RC poster

Alias Batteries

Can anyone suggest off brand battery packs for the Alias? I've searched through the forum but couldn't find anything so thought I'd make a post about it.

I've been looking at 2 different options but wasnt sure what was the best choice and/or why.

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AWBTADY/...I2E54HIIMBUKYO

I like this one since it's a charger w/ batteries. It says that the charger is compatible with the Alias, but not if the batteries are? That was slightly confusing.

Or:

http://www.amazon.com/BTG-Upgrade-Ba...lias+batteries

This is nice, but is the quality better than the last? Or what exactly is the difference?

Still fairly new to these but wanted to get more batteries for the Alias.

As well as, I'm open to any more suggestions for anything that I might have missed battery wise.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

RC Racer
    That's a tough question to ask and answer on the Traxxas run forum. The forum rules don't allow an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by PRGeno View Post
    That's a tough question to ask and answer on the Traxxas run forum. The forum rules don't allow an answer.
    Must be some misunderstanding. While there is a retailer which is banned due to its actions, the rules certainly do allow answers.

In my experience, semi-no name cheap packs from overseas have not been the best quality. I've just paid about $8 each for Actual LaTrax Alias packs. Their quality is excellent.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Sure we can PR, hes only asking if it will work/fit.

The first battery listed is too thick @10mm, the stock battery is only 6mm and I know from experience that you can't stuff a 10mm battery in an un-modified battery chassis.

The second BTG battery should fit without modding, I have no experience with them so I can't tell if they are any good, though they have a good reviews on amazon.

If you have an ebay acc, you can get the stock alias batteries for right around $7 each.

For charging, I don't believe you'll be happy with those junk USB chargers, I was not as the USB only puts out so much juice.

I tossed my 70min+ USB charger and bought a Hitec X4 micro charger, and have never looked back.
    I have 8 alias batt's, and 14 other 1S that I charge with it and its quick, does a fantastic job charging them all.
    It uses AC Input: 100-240 volts or DC Input: 11-15 volts so you can charge anywhere and comes with both the AC plug and DC w/clips.
    If you do get the X4 micro you will a need 3pk of JST leads, they are dirt cheap($4) as the X4 only comes with one JST lead.

Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction, post up if not, there's plenty of Alias fans here to help you out.

X4 micro charger $46.99
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEBBX&P=7
    JST leads $4
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFPFM&P=7

Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer

Alias Batteries

Ok, I'll play then. I've got 3 stock LaTrax batteries and 3 Lectron Pro 700mAh batteries. The LaTrax batteries all work flawlessly. 2 of the 3 Lectrons work just as well and last a minute or 2 longer. However they are a bit thinner and don't fit as snug in the battery compartment as they should. The 3rd Lectron causes all kinds of instability problems.

I never knew a battery could cause the Alias to wobble and become impossible to fly. I thought I blew a motor, or bearings, or prop shaft but after all kinds of testing I discovered the problem only occurred with this one particular Lectron battery.

So with only a slight savings $$ (savings disappeared with one battery being useless) and with only slightly longer flight times (for the remaining 2), I don't feel these 3rd party batteries are worth the hassle.

That being said I have modified the battery compartment to house some 750mAh 65c rated batteries that are smaller and lighter but slightly thicker.

Also, as Wildman said, those USB chargers are worthless and I found the same Hitec X4 he suggested to work very well for all kinds of 1S batteries including all that I use for both of my Alias quads.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-20-2016 at 08:59 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PRGeno View Post
    Ok, I'll play then. I've got 3 stock LaTrax batteries and 3 Lectron Pro 700mAh batteries. The LaTrax batteries all work flawlessly. 2 of the 3 Lectrons work just as well and last a minute or 2 longer. However they are a bit thinner and don't fit as snug in the battery compartment as they should. The 3rd Lectron causes all kinds of instability problems.

I never knew a battery could cause the Alias to wobble and become impossible to fly. I thought I blew a motor, or bearings, or prop shaft but after all kinds of testing I discovered the problem only occurred with this one particular Lectron battery.

So with only a slight savings $$ (savings disappeared with one battery being useless) and with only slightly longer flight times (for the remaining 2), I don't feel these 3rd party batteries are worth the hassle.

That being said I have modified the battery compartment to house some 750mAh 65c rated batteries that are smaller and lighter but slightly thicker.

Also, as Wildman said, those USB chargers are worthless and I found the same Hitec X4 he suggested to work very well for all kinds of 1S batteries including all that I use for both of my Alias quads.
    That's interesting that you had weird flying problems with your extra battery. I had a similar problem but it was with the battery that came with the Alias when I bought it. I charged the battery up fully and began flying (at least tried to fly) and it was flying so sporadically. It was awful. At first I thought it was just a terrible piece of equipment and began cursing Traxxas. My friend and I had bought the Alias at the same time and I was flying mine before he was. I told him, "This is thing is absolutely terrible dude. Worst quad I've ever flown." At the same time, something didn't make sense to me though. I watched multiple quad videos about the LaTrax Alias and couldn't stop hearing about how wonderful it was. That's what made me buy it in the first place. So I started doing some research and the first thing I came across was someone saying that their quad was flying very rough and they were saying it was because they were using an aftermarket battery. I didn't think it would work but when my friend bought his, he also bought an extra battery with it and I did not. I asked him to use his battery in my quad to see if that really was the problem and sure enough, it was. After I put my friend's battery in, it started flying perfectly smooth and was so easy to control. I only flew it around for a few minutes and now I understand why everyone loves it. It's really a great quad. When it's working that is.