RC poster

ideal rustler set up questions

So I'm new to the electric game and have been in the nitro world for quite some time but I decided it was time to actually run a car as opposed to always tinkering and fixing a car.

I recently purchased a Rustler stock and right away swapped the motor to a 1406 Castle 5700KV motor. This is a dream car now and compared to my buddies who is purely stock it is night and day difference.

Few questions I have for the collective group who actually will take the time to read this thread

1) What is the optimum gear ratio for this set up? I'm looking for the fastest controllable speeds possible without risking damage to the motor, and decent run times of 20+ minute

2) The stock transmitter is horrible, does anyone have a recommendation to up this range a bit? My other transmitter is not compatible for some odd reason even though its a traxxas transmitter as well.

3) What is the right LiPo Battery for this engine/car? Do you really need a 3s or will 2s suffice?

Any advice would really help. New to this Batt. Opp side of things

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtb0bc4t View Post
    1) What is the optimum gear ratio for this set up? I'm looking for the fastest controllable speeds possible without risking damage to the motor, and decent run times of 20+ minute

I would say you will have to determine this because a lot of factors come into place when determine the risks of overheating. a 5700kv is pretty high so you'll have to monitor temps closely. I would say grab a VARIETY of pinions and a temp gun and find a sweet spot for you. No one can determine the correct gear for your truck.

2) The stock transmitter is horrible, does anyone have a recommendation to up this range a bit? My other transmitter is not compatible for some odd reason even though its a traxxas transmitter as well.

I like the stock transmitter so I have no comment on this

3) What is the right LiPo Battery for this engine/car? Do you really need a 3s or will 2s suffice?

a 3s will surely heat up a 5700kv motor in due time. I would stick with a 2s with this one.

advice...grab a temp gun before anything else and have fun.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Qualifier
    So I'm new to the electric game and have been in the nitro world for quite some time but I decided it was time to actually run a car as opposed to always tinkering and fixing a car.

I recently purchased a Rustler stock and right away swapped the motor to a 1406 Castle 5700KV motor. This is a dream car now and compared to my buddies who is purely stock it is night and day difference.

Few questions I have for the collective group who actually will take the time to read this thread

From my very little experience I do have a question though what is stock rustler: XL-5 or VXL? Also are you using it for street or bashing around? Notice terrain, tires and gearing can all play together to keep your motor healthy.

1. Stock gearing is plenty fast by itself but since you have a castle motor gearing is different for that motor.
    2. if your transmitter is old its probably having trouble with the "new" receiver. is your transmitter the old 27mhz one? buy a new transmitter if that is the case or buy a whole new combo all together. I changed mine from the xl-5 and the distance is pretty amazing.
    3. for your castle I'm assuming 3s are no problem but the minimum I'm sure is 2s. check the specs of the motor they should've came with the box or check their website for specs on the motor to see what battery is optimum.

I wish i had a castle they can keep your car running cooler than any stock motor combo would give you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadelvi View Post
    From my very little experience I do have a question though what is stock rustler: XL-5 or VXL? Also are you using it for street or bashing around? Notice terrain, tires and gearing can all play together to keep your motor healthy.

1. Stock gearing is plenty fast by itself but since you have a castle motor gearing is different for that motor.
    2. if your transmitter is old its probably having trouble with the "new" receiver. is your transmitter the old 27mhz one? buy a new transmitter if that is the case or buy a whole new combo all together. I changed mine from the xl-5 and the distance is pretty amazing.
    3. for your castle I'm assuming 3s are no problem but the minimum I'm sure is 2s. check the specs of the motor they should've came with the box or check their website for specs on the motor to see what battery is optimum.

I wish i had a castle they can keep your car running cooler than any stock motor combo would give you.
    For a newer owner, I'd go against you getting a 3s. It's a lot of power, even for the more experienced drivers(I'd call myself expirenced. But not as much as some of you oldies ) I'd suggest the Traxxas TSM radio system. It's cheaper than most and a lot of people use it. I'd suggest bearings... And just mess around with gearing, gears are cheap so you can just buy some and see what ya like.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderMelon View Post
    For a newer owner, I'd go against you getting a 3s. It's a lot of power, even for the more experienced drivers(I'd call myself expirenced. But not as much as some of you oldies ) I'd suggest the Traxxas TSM radio system. It's cheaper than most and a lot of people use it. I'd suggest bearings... And just mess around with gearing, gears are cheap so you can just buy some and see what ya like.
    no you are right, i meant more of what the motor could handle as oppose to what the user could handle/appreciate. 2s is best and perfect for right now what he could need.

yup 3s would probably be pushing the limits of that motor. Doable probably but the temps would be up there.

You need a temp gun before anything else. Theres just no way around it unless you never deviate from box stock or you dont mind cooking a motor or esc.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

I have not got a rustler howver had 2wd pedes a while back.

Why did you choose the 5700 kv motor, reason I ask is it is a speed konster of a motor but heats up easier than lower kv ones. In shor you really dont have a lot of options on gearing. Gear low and monitor the temps of everything, idealy below 160 f on esc, motor and battery.

If you are looking for a begeiners top range radio, the futaha 3pl is a good entry level at a descent price.
    Live life to the fullest

Lol I run mine on a three cell, and 7 six cells(not at the same time lol) the temps aren't that bad with a fan on the motor. See, if you drive it in grass, lower your gearing... I have a fan on my ESC and Motor. The temps aren't bad at all, but I do have my fan for my motor BLOWING! It's like almost as loud as my motor...

RC poster
    I actually picked one up should arrive tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

RC poster
    Yeah the more I've been reading in the last several days the less I want to go with a 3s! I actually swapped out the stock gearing with the "high speed" gearing they provide to you in the box which I believe was a 86T spur and a 28 pinion? Don't quote me on that but two things

1) Motor got hotter than normal on stock gearing with NiMH 7 cell bat
    2) Impossible to control because the stock wheels are garbage ( Bald in less than 10 runs)
    3) Wheelies for DAYS!

I went back down to the stock 19 pinion and 90T spur. Plenty fast

RC poster
    Lol I run mine on a three cell, and 7 six cells(not at the same time lol) the temps aren't that bad with a fan on the motor. See, if you drive it in grass, lower your gearing... I have a fan on my ESC and Motor. The temps aren't bad at all, but I do have my fan for my motor BLOWING! It's like almost as loud as my motor...
    Mostly a asphalt driver not really much grass given its a 2wd and in Chicago its either grass that's super tall or street. No real desire to do more than just street driving and occasional bash.

I tried to find a fan for both the ESC and the motor but little success given the one I have. Need to do some more digging because Amazon only had 1 or 2 that is Amazon prime( Yes, Instant gratification at its finest

RC poster
    Thank you ALL for the replies on this. My only concern now is the transmitter which the stock one it comes with is no bueno!

I will research the ones you guys have listed.

I've said it before in this forum and I will say it again, never seen such a hobby where people are actually helpful!

Cheers everyone!

RC poster
    Thank you ALL for the replies on this. My only concern now is the transmitter which the stock one it comes with is no bueno!

I will research the ones you guys have listed.

I've said it before in this forum and I will say it again, never seen such a hobby where people are actually helpful!

Cheers everyone!

RC poster
    Wait wait wait. What is your set up on batteries?

You run yours on a three cell LiPo? and then your other is what

BTW where did you get your motor fan? I'm trying to find one that is not just for "looks" a lot of what I have seen they are not even running at any speed that does a ****.

RC Qualifier
    Wait wait wait. What is your set up on batteries?

You run yours on a three cell LiPo? and then your other is what

BTW where did you get your motor fan? I'm trying to find one that is not just for "looks" a lot of what I have seen they are not even running at any speed that does a ****.
    He probably runs a 3s for his fast days a a nihm for his casual days lol. My opinion some people do motor fans I believe more in heat sinks than anything. People do the integy fans which can work but I've heard they are a hit and miss with integy products. I use integys transmission case which is fine. Good luck on the street runs

He probably runs a 3s for his fast days a a nihm for his casual days lol. My opinion some people do motor fans I believe more in heat sinks than anything. People do the integy fans which can work but I've heard they are a hit and miss with integy products. I use integys transmission case which is fine. Good luck on the street runs
    Nope! I casually run my three cell. And when I want to keep it low, I run my two cells! the only time I run my NiMH battery is when my lipos are dead and my temps are HOT HOT. I've been running my Integy fan and heatsink for a couple months now, and it's been awesome. I don't have enough space to do a lot of runs so I just walk around my town and drive, since I don't have a dog. Like three hour walks... XD I have too many batteries, 6 two cells one three cell...
    I also either drive my castle creations or Velineon rustler, yes I have two...

RC Qualifier
    Nope! I casually run my three cell. And when I want to keep it low, I run my two cells! the only time I run my NiMH battery is when my lipos are dead and my temps are HOT HOT. I've been running my Integy fan and heatsink for a couple months now, and it's been awesome. I don't have enough space to do a lot of runs so I just walk around my town and drive, since I don't have a dog. Like three hour walks... XD I have too many batteries, 6 two cells one three cell...
    I also either drive my castle creations or Velineon rustler, yes I have two...
    Dang. Yeah mine is set up strictly for speed so 2s for playing around or warming the tires up and 3s for hitting that 70mph mark. I only have a Bastens heatsink and the velineon fan for the esc which I don't see makes a huge difference which probably explains why I'm not a believer in fans. Does the integy fans fit the velineon?

Dang. Yeah mine is set up strictly for speed so 2s for playing around or warming the tires up and 3s for hitting that 70mph mark. I only have a Bastens heatsink and the velineon fan for the esc which I don't see makes a huge difference which probably explains why I'm not a believer in fans. Does the integy fans fit the velineon?
    Yes they do! I'll show you a picture in a little, my cars kinda apart because I'm cleaning the grease out. I clean the grease out of them, then I put new grease in. Keeps them nice and in good shape. So yeah I mounted my fan on my heatsink so that the whole fan is blowing on the motor. Because let's face it, having most of the fan blowing not where the motor is doesn't help

RC Qualifier
    Yes they do! I'll show you a picture in a little, my cars kinda apart because I'm cleaning the grease out. I clean the grease out of them, then I put new grease in. Keeps them nice and in good shape. So yeah I mounted my fan on my heatsink so that the whole fan is blowing on the motor. Because let's face it, having most of the fan blowing not where the motor is doesn't help
    i was thinking if anything the dual motors would fit the velineon.

i was thinking if anything the dual motors would fit the velineon.
    Well I'll admit, one fan does not really keep it COOL COOL. But I guess you can't keep it cool when you're on a three cell with rather high gearing... Anythings possible with some modding! but I have a feeling this would work...
    http://www.activepowersports.com/int...FVBZhgodM3kJqw
    I don't have that! But if you'd use that one, I'd say take off that plastic cover on the motor and cover the bearing with tape, because the plastic will not help xD but it does kinda hold the heatsink on..
    Edit: I DIDNT MEAN THAT I MEANT TAPE NOT THE OTHER WORD LOL
    Last edited by WonderMelon; 04-23-2016 at 07:30 AM.