RC Qualifier

Help me out with a vxl 3s and motor question please ?

So recently a buddy of mine had a strong urge to get into the hobby without spending allot of $ . I was nice enough to find a old Rustler that I had converted to a lcg slash 2wd awhile back using the strc kit. I had given him it with a old am radio , brushed motor and esc to start off. A few weeks later he was looking for more speed and has been enjoying it. I than tore through some stuff and had found a old vxl esc I believe it is the vxl 3s and a dynamite motor that I remember being around 3200kv or so. We put that in and he's been using it with some 2s lipos I had recommended he purchased. More speed he said so I got him a 3s and geared it accordingly. Well that Dynamite motor went up in smoke after some heavy use and he has been down for 2 weeks now bugging me to get him up and running again. I found a good deal on a 4 Pole Castle 3800kv motor and grabbed it up for him. My question is , will that 4 pole motor work with the vxl esc ? and also what would a good gearing ratio be for a high top speed with little heat ? He will be running 2s & 3s but his main concern is beating his cousin who runs a stock vxl rustler on 2s and 3s with no gearing changes or he is possibly using the other pinion for high speed that comes bundled with it. Thank you for all your help.

RC Qualifier
    Is the ESC one of the 4 pole versions?

2 pole version...(note the lack of capacitors).

4 pole version...(note the capacitors).

If it is the 4 pole, you are good to go. Cannot help you with gearing though...I suspect with the same gearing you had on the Dynamite the Castle will be a smidge faster.

Also, you are a really nice friend. I'd be like figure it out dude! lol
    Slash, Street Rally, 4x4 /Slash, Summit LT, Aton.

RC Qualifier
    It def does not have the capacitors so it has to be the older version. Shoot I already ordered the motor for him. A quick search resulted in some answers showing it will work fine as the esc does not detect if its a 4pole or 2 pole and some have said it will work but will cog. I really hope it works as I don't want to give my buddies hopes up. I already made make about 4 trips to the hobby shop over 30 mins away bc I couldn't find my soldering iron to help him get everything wired up correctly.

Edit - Found this while searching the forum , so now the question is what gearing would be suited to run this on 2s and 3s and stay below 75,000rpm. " The only issue with 4 pole motors is in how the ESC "sees" the motor's RPM, but the VXL has no problem handling higher pole motors. If memory serves, the VXL can run 2 pole motors up to 150,000 RPM so it should be able to handle about 75,000 RPM for a 4 pole. Again, no problem running that motor with your ESC "
    Last edited by justpassedu; 04-22-2016 at 10:55 AM.

I have known people to use the old esc with a four pole motor. It works well from what I have seen. Hopefully your friend is good to go! As for gears in 32p I would use the Slash 4x4's stock 13/54. That will get it moving well. Always be aware of motor temperatures!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Mine old style worked ok on 2s , but when I put my 3s battery on ... no dice . 4 pole motor would surge at higher load .

sent from Northern Vermont

RC Qualifier
    Thank you guys , will def give it a try , good thing we have the stock gearing still for it. I just hope it is fast enough for him. He wants to be able to beat is cousin racing and with a 2s it didn't work out but when I got him a 3s he was happy.