Thread: 6s Gearing

RC poster

6s Gearing

These are the lipo batteries i intend to get:

5000 Mah 11.1V 3 Cell 25C lipo batteries.

If anyone has these batteries or 6S i'd like you to share your gearing setup for a recommendation as well as any other parts i should upgrade as to not damage pieces from the torque difference.

Appreciate the help !

I run either 18/65 or 18/54. Either ratio on either 4s or 6s. It's all about slipper settings and throttle control. If you get too wild with your gearing you'll either overheat the motor or the ESC.
    Happy Motoring!

RC Qualifier
    I liked 18/54 gearing on 6s-you will need to upgrade your tires for sure if you haven't already.

then I went to 24/54 gearing on 6s and that was fun.

Now I am at 28/50 so I will see how that will be on 6s.

Last edited by stick; 04-29-2016 at 08:07 AM.

I ran 18/54 or 21/60 on 6s using the traxxas 25c 3s 500Mah batteries
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    would 24/54 gearing make the revo faster? Acceleration and top end . What about heat issues with a cooling fan?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RVJ007 View Post
    would 24/54 gearing make the revo faster? Acceleration and top end . What about heat issues with a cooling fan?
    on 6s it is a beast and no heat issues that I experienced..

Same with me. I am running 25/54 on 3s. No heat issues and she really moves

RC Qualifier
    I'm 18/60. Its fun. Good torque and top end.

RC Racer
    I'm on 21/54 and bashing hard. I do not experience overheating issues on 6S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been wondering this myself. I was thinking about moving my gearing to 20-21/54, but was unsure about the heating issue. You guys say you have no heating issues, but are you both running fans on your motor? I haven't bought one yet because I haven't had a reason, but I was thinking if I moved the gearing from where I am now, I should probably go ahead and buy one.
    If it ain't broke, run it faster, jump it higher!!

RC Enthusiast
    I run the Traxxas ID Lipo's 3S 5000 mah 25c batteries with 18/65 gearing and the motor gets hot for sure but I also don't do a lot of jumping although I would like to. Stock ESC settings on the Mamba Monster 2. The only "upgrade" I have done was the aluminum slipper pad setup when I did my true ERBE conversion. (had a revo 3.3 and did a full TRUE revo conversion) OH you know what nvm I also have the rear blue chassis brace from traxxas because I don't want to end up doing a chassis swap anytime soon. So far I only run 6S and maybe I baby it or something but I haven't even broken anything but little things on it, either I am doing something wrong or Traxxas just built a good vehicle. I dream of big jumps though...

RC Racer
    His thread just motivated me to move up a couple teeth on the pinion. I have been running 21/60 (w/ lst diffs) and the motor does get pretty warm quickly (150 in under 10 min) while the esc stays relatively cool (usually around 100).

What kind of esc temps are you taller geared guys seeing and where do you measure esc temp from? I usually wave my ir thermometer over the whole thing and record the highest temp found.

Quote Originally Posted by wretep View Post
    His thread just motivated me to move up a couple teeth on the pinion. I have been running 21/60 (w/ lst diffs) and the motor does get pretty warm quickly (150 in under 10 min) while the esc stays relatively cool (usually around 100).

What kind of esc temps are you taller geared guys seeing and where do you measure esc temp from? I usually wave my ir thermometer over the whole thing and record the highest temp found.
    Normally every one goes for 18/54 or even upto 20/54, with an lst diff I would try the 21/54.
    Cold ESC and hot motor suggest hat it maybe undergeared.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    I have the Robinson Racing clutch which incorporates a 60T spur gear so I am kind of married to that. I just ordered up a 23T pinion which should put me reeeeally close to 21/54 ratio. Hoping less heat. The extra speed will be nice too.

RC Racer
    I finally put the 23T in, and it's not having the effect I was expecting. My ESC is getting warmer (~119) but my motor is getting hotter even faster now. I was really expecting the motor temp to go down as I had previously experienced when gearing up. What gives?