Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slash 4x4 review from dads angle

Start with basics, grew up messing around wth rc cars. Finally grew up and could afford my own, started with an ecx torment (seemed amazing at the time) went to the slash 2wd brushed motor, (blew my mind) and now have had the brushless slash 4x4 for about a month. During this time my son (who is now seven, was about three when this all started) has inherited my old cars as i progress up. Now the torment and slash 2wd where all but unstopable. Granted the customary arm replacements and what not, my son can not break these cars. Ive come to the conclusion thats because they are not fast enough to break things. The slash 2wd does all the gripes ive read about (shock caps, arms and ...... huh cant think of much else) but the 4x4 brushless is, scratch that, can be too fast for its on good. I bought the 3s lipo to put in it and wow. I havent broke anything on the stock nimh battery but with in one minute of the 3s battery and i snaped the bearing block in the back wheels (forgive my ignorance in terminalogy, i fear it will be persistant through out this review). Now granted it was my fault, tight spaces and a heavy trigger finger. Fixed it, back out to test this baby out and turn her loose. Three minutes later i was down for the count. Front a arm riped off. Ok no biggy, ill just head down tomorrow and pick some up, i knew i would have to sooner or later right? Well needless to say i figured, well i am here, might as well beef this baby up a little. The wife is starting to doubt my abilty to buy a good car, or worse, my driving ability. So about a hundred bucks later i walk out with teken(?) Axles for the rear aluminum shock caps new front arms (rpm) and mabey some other stuff i dont recall. Im fixed up, back in the game, lets drive this thing. Lasted longer this time, two nimh packs and two 3s lipo packs, not bad huh. Front axle snaped off. Well back to rc street shop. Spring for the teken(?) Front axles (which shout out to them, i thought they wouldnt work to well but have held up since), and after a little reading( mostly here) a heat sink and a smaller spur (or pinion, i always cross tbe two) gear. So the point of this you ask? Well at my hobby store while i was buying this addiction, a very nice man (not a sales man, he didnt even work there) suggested i just pony up the extra hundred or so and get the ultimate. I scoffed at him, said there was no need. Well my friends, and any intressted in buying, pony up and get the slightly beefed up version. Exspecialy if you go lipo. I love my slash 4x4 on lipo. It truly is an addiction. My son already wants me to get a new car so he can have mine. I love him but hes not touching this thing on 3s. Thanks for all the info ive read on here. Ill be sure to ask if i have questions. FnFancy

RC Enthusiast
    Haha pretty much what I went through. Bought a used 4x4 slash for my son and I to bash around and got hooked. Crashed it broke it upgrade it fix it. 400 or so into it. Doesn't break any more. Then my friend sold me his ultimate with battery's,1/8 motor and bunch of extras for 500.
    Then I upgraded my son slash with a new castle SCT on 2s and he loves it. I won't let him touch mine running on 4s... Haha fun times every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Don't worry, just plan on getting the ultimate next year when your son is ready for the 4x4. I agree completely though, just go for the ultimate or platinum to start. My cousin just got his 7yr old a 2wd and himself a platinum. I got mine in an "unknown condition" package deal on ebay. With a few bearings and a battery my addiction began!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

With great power comes great responsibility!
    Rustler | MERV | Summit | Slash Ultimate | Slash

RC Qualifier
    My first car getting back into Rc's after 15 years was a Rustler VXL. Running it on 2s I was amazed and broke it the first day. Caster block of course. The addiction started. I enjoy building /fixing them as much, maybe a little more than running them. The wife told me I buy 1 more Rc car she's leaving. I said I sure am going to miss ya. My 2 year addiction.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

I started off with a used standard Slash 4x4 in January 2010. I broke almost every part that could be broken on it. Fast forward to February 13th 2012. I got a used Ultimate Edition for $50.00! It was a whole different story. Put Mip X-Duty axles King Headz motor mount and RPM arms and I could not break it. In my experience it is worth,the extra money for the Ultimate and Platinum Edition Slash 4x4's. I will probably never have another standard model again.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

I do have one question, if im cruzing at slow speed then punch the throttle there is a slight pause, like no power at all, before it takes off. Is this normal? It happens on both nimh and lipo batteries

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    I do have one question, if im cruzing at slow speed then punch the throttle there is a slight pause, like no power at all, before it takes off. Is this normal? It happens on both nimh and lipo batteries
    Could be your slipper clutch is a little too loose. Try tightening it all the way, then back off a half turn.

We started of with a 2wd pede for my son on his 10th birthday, that was three years ago. fast forward I have had a 2wd pede full extended FLM build. Initially I never even thought of the slash, did not like the shape of it ...imagine just the SHAPE.....

Anyway fast forward , after lots of reading here and there I built a slash 4x4 basher, who has now become a backslash with an overpowered system, and loving it. Now its a keeper (After three different system changes, numerous types of tyres and hexes) And this is a keepr along with many collections within the span of these three years; 3 erevo brushless (2 kept,), 4 x revo 3.3 ...will eventually sell some as I am building a platinum revo at the moment.

I have made the keepers such that they are almost undistructible....cannot say bulletproof or bomb proof as you never know , at least for a whole while I have had no reperations.

Quote Originally Posted by OSU Beaver 99 View Post
    Could be your slipper clutch is a little too loose. Try tightening it all the way, then back off a half turn.
    For me its between 1/4 to half.....depending the battery you use, 2s, 3s or 6s..
    Live life to the fullest

Random update,
    The slash has been through alot. I know I said I wouldn't let my son touch it on 3s but he drives it daily on a traxxas 3s battery. How you ask? Power stroke shocks, 18 tooth pinion 54 tooth spur, proline baja bug body (would love to post pictures, don't know how), tekno axles, bead lock wheels ( I couldn't keep a tire from shredding for the life of me) and proline body mounts. Why all this you ask? Mamba monster sct, 2400 4 pole motor and matching esc. I've made this truck capable of withstanding my eight year old son taking her to the skate park and anything else he can throw ask her. I've come to terms with giving him my truck for one reason only, I bought a shiny new e revo. It's still bone stock, and I'm pretty sure the slash is faster on 3s than the revo on 4s. Love the e revo but the slash will remain the platform to experiment and modify. With all the upgrades to the 4x4 my 2wd slash got some hand me downs, the vxl system went into her, along with the stock shocks from the 4x4, a lcg chasis and lots of love. I can't get the back tires to stop spinning. It's insane. So, thank you fellow addicts for letting me learn from you and absorb all the knowledge I can. Keep up the great threads
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

I'm with ElSob on this one...the few extra pieces on the Ultimate are worth it. With that said, I still had to do the standard upgrades,KH mount,MIP axles ,1/8th power,XO-1 diffs,etc. Once you get there though...these things are tough!! I beat mine hard every time it's out. It's endured some serious failed jumps and 4s 60+mph barrel rolls down the street. I also agree on getting a 2wd for a back-up. I bought a $100 Craigslist xl-5 Rustler that wears a bunch of my Slash leftovers....vxl/3500,tires,2s batteries,gears as well as some small pieces. I've got a lot less than $200 in that Rustler and it's a blast. Plenty fast/wheelie king on 2s and tough as nails. I beat it ruthlessly(worse than the Slash) and it laughs and begs for more. Oh...glad you're enjoying the addiction...plenty of enablers here to help out...ask me how I know...lol.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Racer
    the slash handles very well over any non traxxas short courae truck, currently running mine in my yard dirt track runs perfect for racing with friends
    Everything dies..everything..no,no,no,no

RC Qualifier
    Sometimes I wonder what I would do with all my time(and money) if I didn't have a sl4sh�� While I'm glad I got an ultimate to start with, now if I was doing it again I would either get a roller to build out or start from scratch. Less than half of my truck is
    original at this point!

RC Qualifier
    I started with an Ultimate. When I get done I doubt there will be many stock parts on it. But it will still be a Slash 4x4 in spirit.

Mine started as a used e-Bay Platinum with a thrashed body and small rocks and sand imbedded everywhere.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Update

[IMG]20160630_181124_zpscmhtoixb[/IMG]
    Hope this works. Here is how she looks now

[IMG][/IMG]

Ha. I figured it out

Very nice! I am glad that you and your son are still having fun together in this great hobby of ours!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And that's how it all started out

And this is where we ended up so far[IMG][/IMG]

Ah man I can't see any of the pictures. Awesome you guys still love the hobby together! I can't wait for my son to start bashing with me lol. He just turned one haha

RC Enthusiast
    I have had my Slash for a week, and since I just upgraded all the hub carriers to aluminum and added the telemetry sensors I tell myself I should have bought the Ultimate.

I also started breaking things about 4 days into ownership when I switched to LiPo. And, I am only running 2S LiPo!

Still here and still spending too much time and money on these little cars that my son and I love so much. My (his) beloved Slash 4x4 has been amazing, I put the tekno 17mn conversion on because, and I quote, how come mine won't do a wheelie, can I drive yours dad? Makes me smile every time. I got the buggy dish wheels and bad lands on her now. Wouldn't you guess it, still won't wheelie cause I keep the slipper loose. I don't know how but the kid has broken three tekno axles to this point. One was my error, rpm arms. I know it's not set up for track racing but we headed down to the indoor track any way, if you want to see funny, throw a ERBE on a little indoor clay track it was priceless, and a blast. Started looking at the BFG Baja tires from proline, any one have an opinion on them? I had a week off so guess who got the lcg chassis conversion, yup the Slash 4x4. WOW, what a difference it makes. Well just checking in and saying hi to all.

The BF Goodrich Baja T/A radicals are not my favorite for off-road use. They wear a little too fast and the traction is not as good as the Super Swampers or the Badlands. When they were bald ( which didn't take long ) they did pretty good as drag slicks.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Still here and still spending too much time and money on these little cars that my son and I love so much. My (his) beloved Slash 4x4 has been amazing, I put the tekno 17mn conversion on because, and I quote, how come mine won't do a wheelie, can I drive yours dad? Makes me smile every time. I got the buggy dish wheels and bad lands on her now. Wouldn't you guess it, still won't wheelie cause I keep the slipper loose. I don't know how but the kid has broken three tekno axles to this point. One was my error, rpm arms. I know it's not set up for track racing but we headed down to the indoor track any way, if you want to see funny, throw a ERBE on a little indoor clay track it was priceless, and a blast. Started looking at the BFG Baja tires from proline, any one have an opinion on them? I had a week off so guess who got the lcg chassis conversion, yup the Slash 4x4. WOW, what a difference it makes. Well just checking in and saying hi to all.
    I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'd throw in my experience. I started with a 2wd brushed slash about a year ago. ( well rather started back. I used to race a yokomo 4wd buggy and associated 12l carpet oval car back in the day).
    In the middle of winter I made a barter deal in local classifieds and got a rustler VXL. I later traded That rustler for a 4x4 slash VXL .
    The 2 pole velineon in the used 4x4 went out on me and I replaced it with a cheap Tacon motor. Right now I alternate the VXL 2 pole/Tacon combo between the 2 and 4wd slash. That motor does much better in 2wd and I am looking for a hi amp lower KV combo for the 4x4.
    I also recent came across a good deal on an Associated SC10 brushless. ( I love my slashes, but this thing out handles both of them)

As far as tires I do have one bit of input
    The Duratrax Lockup short course tires are great. I have them on the rear on my 2wd and they wheelie on 2s on pavement, and throw roosts on grass... And they are a few dollars cheaper than pro-lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the opinions and ideas. DE makes a wheel for 17mm hexes that will take 2.8/3.0 tires, I wanted to get back to the original scale look of the trophy truck with out going back to the head ache of stripping hexes. I guess I tinkered with the ESC to much and managed to mess up the settings, figured it out when I drove it the other day. Reset ESC and did some suspension tuning, she's purring like a kitten. I had almost forgotten how much fun the Slash 4x4 is. Next up is the 2wd Slash. I put mt tires on it cause the vxl just spun the tires. When the wheels come in they will be coming off, 17mm conversion and some new shoes will be fitted. I think it's the fastest in the fleet. I'll spend some time tuning so it's at least drivable. Thank you all for the help and ideas, keep up the good work

Well, another random update time!
    We've been through a few changes (much to the chagrin of the wife). Along came the mamba x and 2650 combo (2wd Slash loved the 2400 MMP combo she inherited) Traxxas GTR shocks running blue springs, E-Revo slipper and diff's. This thing is way fast. Had her geared 26/50 and according to the formula, with 3.8 Badlands it's good for 126mph! Yeah, didn't last long. Picked up a 17 tooth pinion and went back to school wheels, she should be manageable now. Just waiting on the tekno outdrives to show up (yup, she broke them) so we can take her back out. Squeegie, I saw you mention bolsa chica as a place to run. Do you frequent often? I'm not that far and go there sometimes. Also, put xo-1 front alluminium carriers and c blocks on, yup, my son kept breaking those also. As previously stated, my love for the Slash 4x4 remains. I find myself hanging over the control of the E-Revo to my son, just so I can run her! Still working out the links of the new power plant, making it drivable so it won't break every five minutes. I think we're almost there! Some gratuitous pics cause why not?

I don't remember mentioning Bolsa Chica. Are you sure you don't mean Gunner1? He lives in Seal Beach... just above Bolsa Chica.

I found this resource a while ago:
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...o3PIw69vZqz4ZU

RC Racer
    [QUOTE=davew;6226887]
    The wife told me I buy 1 more Rc car she's leaving. I said I sure am going to miss ya.

GOLD RIGHT THERE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Time for an overhaul! Managed to snap the chassis in front left corner, sucks too as I just put the rpm front clip on her. Yup broke that as well. I'm not sure if putting a rear shock tower in front with rear shocks made this happen, it was half way cracked prior to the weekend bashing. So between that and a rear diff on the ERBE, I figure it's time for a 4x4 over haul! Both trucks will be completely dismantled and rebuild. Our beloved Slash will get a new, dyed chassis (more than likely black but interested to see other colors posted here), front diff housing (one screw hole is stripped) the GTR variable dampening kit (suggestions on hole size to drill welcome), bearing maintenance, pins joints and moving parts binding check and maybe a new pinion ( crazy ride with the 2650, started 24/54 then 26/50 now 17/54 but think it needs to gear higher). Probably put 500k diff fluid in her as well. Just when I thought I had this thing ready to take on my 9 year old son, geez. O well it will be fun, might make the kid do some work, hehe. I'll be doing the treatment to the ERBE as well, no need to post those plans in here. Just thought I'd update here as this was my first ever thread, it details our growth fairly well in this hobby. Thanks for reading, and remember... KEEP HAVING FUN!

Nice! You changing it up at all? Like different builds or just a rebuild? Either way keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxBash View Post
    Nice! You changing it up at all? Like different builds or just a rebuild? Either way keep us posted!

Huh, never really thought about changing her. I've always loved the short course/trophy truck, ever since I was young. I do have a 2wd Slash that I could keep that look with, have the ERBE for my monster truck fix, have a b6 for my buggy fix and a rustler for my stadium truck fix.... What else is there? Darn you maxxbash, now you got my head spinning! Backslash, Slash MT, on road speed rig? I guess possibilities are endless. Ah, crap I got some thinking to do now.

Huh, never really thought about changing her. I've always loved the short course/trophy truck, ever since I was young. I do have a 2wd Slash that I could keep that look with, have the ERBE for my monster truck fix, have a b6 for my buggy fix and a rustler for my stadium truck fix.... What else is there? Darn you maxxbash, now you got my head spinning! Backslash, Slash MT, on road speed rig? I guess possibilities are endless. Ah, crap I got some thinking to do now.
    Haha yea I'm going to do my rustler build now. Converting sl2sh. And wow I forgot you had a ton already! Only set up I don't see is for speed.
    I can't wait for my boy to be old enough to race/bash with me. He's barely two lol

I would love to get into a Speed-Run rig, but I have no idea where I would run one.
    Instead, I am slowly working on an on-road street Slash 4x4.

Have fun and make it yours!

Starting to think about that speed thing. Never really thought of doing it prior but I have the power for it. I know people like the 2200 for speed but I've heard the 2650 can take 6s for a pass or two. Only problem is where to run it, and what do do after a pass. Sit there and watch it cool down? Maybe a rustler is better suited for speed, I dunno. I could make a track car out of it but I have the thorough bred race buggy already...... My goodness I'm so conflicted. I do like the backslash, maybe I'll look into a 4x4 version. I need to look up some builds, something might inspire me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast