Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 107
  1. #41
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfrx720 View Post
    Traxxas just replaced my battery... I'll let you guys know if it happens again. I agree 20c may be a bit too low, but I think it's more the bad batch of batteries than the c rating causing the batteries to swell... My venom battery has more charges on it and is not puffing whatsoever...
    Yes. Let us know. I may have missed this somwhere before...but how did you manage to get Traxxas to replace your batteries?

    Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

  2. #42
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    WORSE-TER, MA
    Posts
    204
    Guys, is storage the same as discharging? I don't have a storage mode on my Dynamite passport ultra

  3. #43
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    14
    No storage mode sets in on 3.85v pcell. Discharge just drains it to a level you set.

  4. #44
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    WORSE-TER, MA
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonanthony View Post
    No storage mode sets in on 3.85v pcell. Discharge just drains it to a level you set.
    So discharge just drains it to a total voltage level, with no regard for the individual cells?

  5. #45
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    14
    Thats correct. Every charger is different. If you have no storagemode just charge/discharge to 3.85v pcell and you're good. Make sure the balance is correct.

  6. #46
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Farmingville, NY
    Posts
    682
    add me to the list of people with puffed batteries. both the 3000 that came with mine and the 5000 I bought from the LHS has puffed. the 5000 barely fits into the aton at this point. I wonder if the batteries are becoming dangerous.
    Traxxas please sell kits!

  7. #47
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Roswell NM
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer83L View Post
    add me to the list of people with puffed batteries. both the 3000 that came with mine and the 5000 I bought from the LHS has puffed. the 5000 barely fits into the aton at this point. I wonder if the batteries are becoming dangerous.
    I'm beginning to wonder the same thing! I just don't have much experience with LiPo's of this size and rating to know for sure, especially when Traxxas says some puffing is normal.

    It's disappointing Traxxas hasn't monitored this thread and offered a recall/replacement for those of us having this issue.

  8. #48
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    10
    A friend of mine told me that i should store my batteries in a metal ammo box to be safe, in case one tries to catch fire. Pretty good idea, seeing that everyone here seems to be experiencing THE PUFFENING.

  9. #49
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Roswell NM
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by havax View Post
    A friend of mine told me that i should store my batteries in a metal ammo box to be safe, in case one tries to catch fire. Pretty good idea, seeing that everyone here seems to be experiencing THE PUFFENING.
    Your friend is right! That's a great idea with LiPo's from what I've read around the web as well. In fact, I charge and store mine in one of the .50 cal ammo cans I acquired during my AF days... I dangle them down into the can while charging (they don't get hot), and place them inside when complete.

    IMHO I don't believe we should be going through so much drama just to enjoy an R/C model, jeez! I'm contacting Traxxas in the AM to request an RMA before someone gets hurt or my house burns down... That's the last thing our hobby needs right now!

  10. #50
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Brossard, QC
    Posts
    1,211
    It might be a good idea to store them in individual lipo bags or fireproof box. So it won't burn all your lipo away if one catches fire.



    Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

  11. #51
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA, WI
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by neows6 View Post
    The stock 5000mah battery that came with my Aton has puffed extremely badly.
    It is so bad I have stopped using it even though it still charges to 12.6v.
    I really do believe I got an iffy battery.


    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

    Idk because I'm thinking there might be a bigger issue I have 2 of these Traxxas ID batteries being charged with Traxxas ID charger and I put maybe 30+ runs through em on my ERBE and they too are puffed. (Exactly like the photo) 3S 5000mAh, I've spoke with a few other people and this puffing issue seems common enough with these ID batteries... Mine are outside of warranty but they will sell me 2 new batteries at $50 each... Man lipos suck lol, what's weird is one became puffy and then a few runs later the other lipo became puffy and I've been monitoring them ever since and nothing's really changed.

  12. #52
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    20
    Ok wanted to update, so after speaking with Kris at traxxas tech support, after brief conversion and texting him a pic of the battery and my recipt for the aton(keep your receipts people, had to go to lhs to get mine) a brand new battery was sent and got it today
    So thanks to traxxas for standing by their product, this is the first time I've ever had a problem with any of their products and I'm pleased to say this hiccup won't keep me from buying more traxxas parts...
    Heck, I even use traxxas parts on my non traxxas cars, whenever possible lol

  13. #53
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by havax View Post
    A friend of mine told me that i should store my batteries in a metal ammo box to be safe, in case one tries to catch fire. Pretty good idea, seeing that everyone here seems to be experiencing THE PUFFENING.
    You can buy lipo sacks. Its a fireproof bag. I keep all my batteries in them.

    Also dont store batteries at full or minimum charge. I put my batteries on storage charge as soon as I get home from flying.

  14. #54
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Roswell NM
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Suteki View Post
    You can buy lipo sacks. Its a fireproof bag. I keep all my batteries in them.

    Also dont store batteries at full or minimum charge. I put my batteries on storage charge as soon as I get home from flying.
    I'm new to LiPo's of this size, so please accept my apologies for ignorance on this subject...

    Just for my own clarification, are you saying you get home from flying (supposedly with discharged LiPo's) and immediately place them onto your charger and set them for storage charge...rather than fully charging them for the next days flying? Or, do you fully charge them, then set for storage charge for the 12-18 hours downtime, then before going out the next day, recharge them to FULL and go out flying...

    I'm starting to appreciate the simplicity of Nitro as compared with these things... ;-)

  15. #55
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by BogSpores View Post
    I'm new to LiPo's of this size, so please accept my apologies for ignorance on this subject...

    Just for my own clarification, are you saying you get home from flying (supposedly with discharged LiPo's) and immediately place them onto your charger and set them for storage charge...rather than fully charging them for the next days flying? Or, do you fully charge them, then set for storage charge for the 12-18 hours downtime, then before going out the next day, recharge them to FULL and go out flying...

    I'm starting to appreciate the simplicity of Nitro as compared with these things... ;-)
    If I'm going flying I take 5 batteries (normally, depends on what I take out, sometimes more), I charge them all the morning I am going out.

    Go fly.

    When I get back home I. Put them all back onnthe charger in storage charge mode.

    All my batteries are at 3.8v stored at all times unless I am flying that day (or its my VTX goggle batteries which dont get big amps pulled through them so I usually juat leave them at whatever as they arent performance critical, so higher IR isnt really an issue for them).

    It helps to have powerful chargers and or multi chargers as well if you plan on having multiple batteries. I have a Hitec for charging 4 batteries at a time and a Revolectrix which can charge 6 packs on a parallel board and outs out 40 amp, so it has no problems punching through a number of batteries quickly.

  16. #56
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Suteki View Post
    If I'm going flying I take 5 batteries (normally, depends on what I take out, sometimes more), I charge them all the morning I am going out.

    Go fly.

    When I get back home I. Put them all back onnthe charger in storage charge mode.

    All my batteries are at 3.8v stored at all times unless I am flying that day (or its my VTX goggle batteries which dont get big amps pulled through them so I usually juat leave them at whatever as they arent performance critical, so higher IR isnt really an issue for them).

    It helps to have powerful chargers and or multi chargers as well if you plan on having multiple batteries. I have a Hitec for charging 4 batteries at a time and a Revolectrix which can charge 6 packs on a parallel board and outs out 40 amp, so it has no problems punching through a number of batteries quickly.
    i don't think the charger that came with my aton has a "storage mode" function. :\

  17. #57
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    359
    Its worth investing in one.

    Chargers are a buy once item, buy yourself a good one so your set for now and down the road.

  18. #58
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    218
    I have to reassess my opinion on what's going on with this battery situation. My venom 5000mah 20c battery is now starting to puff as well... Kind of a bummer. I feel like four brushless motors is a lot for this low of a c rating on a battery... If you do full throttle on a 250 racer quad you can only go like 5 seconds before the escs on the motors start to blow out, And they usually have 4 escs, one for each motor, the Aton only has 1 I believe? also, those sport quads have like 75c batteries...... If you go full throttle for a long time it'll probably do some no Bueno stuff to the Aton... Those who fly in aggressively in sport mode may find this happening more often than filmographers or noobies!

  19. #59
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfrx720 View Post
    I have to reassess my opinion on what's going on with this battery situation. My venom 5000mah 20c battery is now starting to puff as well... Kind of a bummer. I feel like four brushless motors is a lot for this low of a c rating on a battery... If you do full throttle on a 250 racer quad you can only go like 5 seconds before the escs on the motors start to blow out, And they usually have 4 escs, one for each motor, the Aton only has 1 I believe? also, those sport quads have like 75c batteries...... If you go full throttle for a long time it'll probably do some no Bueno stuff to the Aton... Those who fly in aggressively in sport mode may find this happening more often than filmographers or noobies!
    No idea, but the Aton has 4 ESC's, it has to so each motor can turn at individual speeds.

    You have to remember race quads are running low capacity (biggest I pit on mine is 1300mah) so you need a high discharge to get the amps required. I've only just started puahing my quad, I was getting 5min and a bit, now I'm struggling to get 3 and a 1/5 minutes out of it pushing it round the course my mates and I fly, its basically 3/4 throttle most of the time, occasionally lower sometimes full, the minimum you would want is roughly 65c in those conditions but most battery manufactuerers massively overstate their C rating, 65-70c is really about as high as it goes and even then they start to complain.

    200 amp should be enough for the Aton which is 20c at 5000mah, but I've always gone 45c as a minimum for every RC battery I use.

  20. #60
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Suteki View Post
    No idea, but the Aton has 4 ESC's, it has to so each motor can turn at individual speeds.

    You have to remember race quads are running low capacity (biggest I pit on mine is 1300mah) so you need a high discharge to get the amps required. I've only just started puahing my quad, I was getting 5min and a bit, now I'm struggling to get 3 and a 1/5 minutes out of it pushing it round the course my mates and I fly, its basically 3/4 throttle most of the time, occasionally lower sometimes full, the minimum you would want is roughly 65c in those conditions but most battery manufactuerers massively overstate their C rating, 65-70c is really about as high as it goes and even then they start to complain.

    200 amp should be enough for the Aton which is 20c at 5000mah, but I've always gone 45c as a minimum for every RC battery I use.
    I see! So you use 45c in the Aton?

    Thanks for clearing it up on the ESC dealeo

  21. #61
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Farmingville, NY
    Posts
    682
    my 5000 no longer fits in the aton. I bought it in March from a LHS and I cannot find my receipt. It puffed the most durign my last flight which was a steady hover at about 50' filming fireworks for the entire battery (it only lasted 17 minutes)
    Traxxas please sell kits!

  22. #62
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Montreal (Que.), Canada
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Suteki View Post
    Batteries do get warm, they shouldn't be hot though. Warm is good as batteries do have an optimal operating range which is generally warm.

    Also most batteries will puff, but it should only be a bit, not a lot.

    If you aren't already;

    - storage charge them when not using them. I storage charge mine at the end of every day. They should be around 3.8 to 3.86 depending on the chargers storage mode. You shouldn't leave batteries charged or discharged. Doing either will increase the internal resistance and lead to puffing. I never leave a battery discharged or full even over night. I'm pedantic like that, a lot of people will leave them charged for days or maybe weeks at a time but it will reduce the lifespan of the battery. I charge before I go out and storage charge as soon as I get home at the end of the day.

    -don't over discharge the lipos. Once they start getting low in V they the tail end of the voltage drop is pretty quick. Personally I have my radio set up to tell tell me low voltage under load fairly conservative, so when I land resting voltage is actually round about storage voltage at 3.8 per cell, lowest I would normally go is 3.6 per cell at rest, under load that puts it in the low 3v range. It may mean not running the quad till LVC or battery warning, if you normally get 18 minutes, just bring it in after 15.

    Also don't 'vent' the battery. Apart from the gas being volatile, you're not actually improving anything. It'll just gas up again. (Edit: sorry I see you were talking about the tray, won't hurt, but the problem is in the battery chemistry, once it is damaged, it's damaged.)
    Hello Suteki, I was in a Store today and an employe told me NEVER charge a Puffed Battery. Employe told me also to ALWAYS charge my Batteries in a Anti-Fire (Pirex or Metal) container... Scaring me a bit...

  23. #63
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    234
    It's not a bad thing to be just a little scared about Lipos. You should educate yourself about their care and use, knowing that if you follow safe standard practices you will be safe and be rewarded with long life and use out of this wonderful state of the art battery technology.

  24. #64
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    3
    I have 2 5000mah batteries. One after 4 flights and charges is swelling to the point I can barely install it. The other also has 4 flights and seems fine.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #65
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Murphy, TX
    Posts
    304
    I recommend you call Traxxas about that.

    Larry

  26. #66
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Montreal (Que.), Canada
    Posts
    70
    After I called Traxxas about my puffing batteries, they sent me an E-Mail I had to answer with different Infos (Proof payment, Battery Picture, etc.).
    Once Traxxas received my E-Mail with all the Infos requested, they sent me 2 replacement Batteries.

    Thank you Traxxas !

  27. #67
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5
    Have the original battery that came with the Aton and another one that I purchased. I've only had them for about two month. I maybe have about 8 to 10 flight on each battery. They will hardly fit in the cargo compartment. One of them started leaking... It was weird started smoking for a few seconds.

  28. #68
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    4,083
    Quote Originally Posted by ahvengeance View Post
    Have the original battery that came with the Aton and another one that I purchased. I've only had them for about two month. I maybe have about 8 to 10 flight on each battery. They will hardly fit in the cargo compartment. One of them started leaking... It was weird
    Safety is first - the pack that leaked electrolyte, get it out of your home. Then call Traxxas support and ask them for the best way of taking care of these packs.
    Last edited by Jakey; 09-12-2016 at 08:11 AM.

  29. #69
    RC Champion jeteffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,760
    Not to bring up and old thread, but I've experienced the exact same behaviour in both my Traxxas ID 5000mah packs for my ATON, which is fairly new.

    In cases where Traxxas replaced the puffed (so they don't fit into the ATON anymore), were they replaced with the same packs with the same rate C, etc... the same packs?

    What is the recommended way to dispose of failed lipo batteries that are cause for concern in a household?

    Thanks
    Last edited by jeteffect; 01-16-2017 at 11:14 AM.

  30. #70
    RC Qualifier Canuckvoip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    824
    From what I've read you can run them down as much as you can, then place them in salty water for a couple of weeks. After that I believe you can just throw them away.
    http://www.rcsoup.com/2012/09/proper...ipo-batteries/

  31. #71
    RC Champion jeteffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,760
    Thanks. I've also learned that placed like Best Buy take and recycle dead, damaged or failed batteries.

    What about:
    In cases where Traxxas replaced the puffed (so they don't fit into the ATON anymore), were they replaced with the same packs with the same rate C, etc... the same packs?

  32. #72
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Brossard, QC
    Posts
    1,211
    Salt water will do nothing but rust/oxide the leads and prevent it from discharging further.

    Use the discharge function on your charger to bring it to 0v or a couple light bulbs instead.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

  33. #73
    RC Qualifier Canuckvoip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    824
    I'd be wary of dumping a still charged Lipo into a bin at Bestbuy. Never know what might happen. Not going to dispute what IllusionX is saying except to say the salt water method seems to be rather prevalent on the interwebs.

  34. #74
    RC Champion jeteffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,760
    Can anyone comment on:

    In cases where Traxxas replaced the puffed (so they don't fit into the ATON anymore), were they replaced with the same packs with the same rate C, etc... the same packs?

  35. #75
    RC Champion jeteffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Can anyone comment on:

    In cases where Traxxas replaced the puffed (so they don't fit into the ATON anymore), were they replaced with the same packs with the same rate C, etc... the same packs?

    A follow-up and for future Traxxas customers:

    With proof of purchase and photos of the two puffed packs (not being able to even fit into the ATON), they replaced both puffed 5000mah 20C ATON 3s Lipos with 2 new packs of the same mah and C rating.

    I disposed of my two puffed packs @ local Staples The Business Depot and Best Buy also take and recycle packs.

    Cheers.

  36. #76
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
    Salt water will do nothing but rust/oxide the leads and prevent it from discharging further.

    Use the discharge function on your charger to bring it to 0v or a couple light bulbs instead.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    I have read similar articles about salt water. For peace of mind, I also use the light bulb method and voltage tester to make sure the batteries are dead:

    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

  37. #77
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    64
    Funny this thread should reimerge a couple days after I just just ordered the 5000 mah 20c aton battery. Hoping I don't get similar results

  38. #78
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    915
    The 5000 is a great battery flying around in film mode ... IMO

    The Traxxas 3000 mah 20c and the 4000 mah 25c are better options for sport/ expert flying

  39. #79
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    64
    Hmmm .... mine arrived today. Have yet to fly with it. It does feel a bit heavier than the 3000. Do you really think the added weight makes much difference? Once I graduated to sport/fast mode I really don't think I will be using film mode much at all.

  40. #80
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    464
    Got my 1st swollen battery. The 3000 that came with the aton. Emailed traxxas to hear it from the horses mouth on safe or not. Haven't flown in a few months. Nice day today so will take advantage of it. Is the EX peak charger traxxas sells a good charger? Still using the one that came with the aton but after reading this thread, guess I should get a charger that has a storage mode.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •