Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Got my 1st swollen battery. The 3000 that came with the aton. Emailed traxxas to hear it from the horses mouth on safe or not. Haven't flown in a few months. Nice day today so will take advantage of it. Is the EX peak charger traxxas sells a good charger? Still using the one that came with the aton but after reading this thread, guess I should get a charger that has a storage mode.
    I have the EZ peak dual charger and I love it. I could easily charge these batteries on my smart chargers, but wanted a charger suited specifically for these batteries. It will charge in slow or fast rate and has storage charge. Good investment .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC poster
    I see on a lot of websites that the Aton and the Aton batteries are on back order. Could this be because Traxxas is trying to figure this whole situation out?

RC Qualifier
    The Aton battery is mostly proprietary. There are very few options that don't require some type of modding of the connector. I am sure they are looking at the puffing, but so far, even the one I have that did it works as good as the others, but mine hasn't puffed as much as some have reported. I think it is more likely the case that the Aton battery is the best option, in high demand, and most likely just sold out.

RC poster
    My 3000 mah battery is still the same as it was from day one. I bought an extra battery (5000mah) and it has developed a bit of puffiness to it. In which I am going to be contacting traxxas about on monday.

RC Qualifier
    mine was the 3000 that came with it. i bought another 3000, and two of the 4000 (which have the better discharge rate) and all of those are fine. the one 3000 puffed a little and still fits freely in the battery compartment. i know Traxxas will replace it, as they have for everyone who has asked, but as long as it works and fits right... i wont bother. i like the 4000mah batteries better anyway and will go with another if this 3000 ever goes bad.

RC Qualifier
    I just had my 3 month old 3000mah lipo replaced by Traxxas. Thank you Traxxas. With that said, I HATE LIPOS!!! I think I am going to run for congress so that I might possibly get a law passed to ban LIPOs. Then maybe we can move on to something else. I love my ATON and now want to purchase a XMAXX. But the main thing holding me back is lipos. I've been doing battery powered RC forever and have to say that lipos are really puffing the fun out of it. The fear of burning your house down while charging and then that dread when you see the initial puff. UGHHHHHHH. Ok, thanks for listening. : ) I needed to vent, unlike my puffy po.
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

RC Racer
    GMMWICKED, I'm with you!

Bought my Aton Plus in May of last year... All batteries puffed within a month or so... Traxxas came through as an EXCELLENT Company and replaced ALL of my bad batteries quickly without any issues... For that alone, I remain loyal to Traxxas considering I own several T-Maxx's and other models... In my opinion, Traxxas makes OUTSTANDING products without a doubt... As for the LiPos... which Traxxas most likely DID NOT MAKE, only rebranded, forget it... I have other LiPo batteries with several other models from other companies and they've all puffed or died as well... I don't believe for a minute this is a "Traxxas" problem... Like you said, and I fully agree, I HATE LIPOs AS WELL!... Definitely not a perfected technology in my opinion... And honestly, I tired quickly of being a SLAVE to my battery packs... Seriously, has anyone stopped and thought about all the steps and procedures required just to "maintain" a stable LiPo pack? "Don't overcharge, Don't undercharge, Don't get it wet, Don't let it get hot, Don't bump or bang it, Don't put in sunlight, Keep it room temp, Don't store it fully charged, Don't store it minimum charged, Don't leave it alone while charging, Don't charge unless you willing to accept explosions and fire, etc. etc. etc." Sounds like Goldilocks! Give me a break...it's ridiculous and I've got plenty of other hobbies that actually "work" with acceptable effort, and don't require a 2 page "checklist" just to charge/use/discharge/storage charge/etc... But it's so FUN right?... isn't it supposed to be? When I show people outside the hobby my LiPo batteries and explain the "process" I always get the same "and you think this is fun?" look on their face...and NOW I can honestly see why it isn't "fun"... I had to stop lying to myself and making excuses for LiPo packs... For now, I'm having fun running T-Maxx Nitro again ( .30RG upgrade)... yeah, my 10 year old (or older?) T-Maxxes are easier to run and maintain than LiPo, go figure!... So, I'll continue to enjoy R/C "oldschool" and wait for the next generation of battery technology to arrive... My life is too short for LiPo drama, and I'll be glad to see it die! Oh wait, my LiPo's already DID die... BaZinga!

Quote Originally Posted by GMMWICKED View Post
    I just had my 3 month old 3000mah lipo replaced by Traxxas. Thank you Traxxas. With that said, I HATE LIPOS!!! I think I am going to run for congress so that I might possibly get a law passed to ban LIPOs. Then maybe we can move on to something else. I love my ATON and now want to purchase a XMAXX. But the main thing holding me back is lipos. I've been doing battery powered RC forever and have to say that lipos are really puffing the fun out of it. The fear of burning your house down while charging and then that dread when you see the initial puff. UGHHHHHHH. Ok, thanks for listening. : ) I needed to vent, unlike my puffy po.
    Last edited by BogSpores; 04-22-2017 at 07:54 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If a person is repetitively puffing quality LiPo packs in spite of using a quality charger, there remains three likely possibilities. 1. The packs are being seriously over-discharged. 2. The packs are being over-amped. 3. The packs are being operated in extreme high ambient temperature conditions.
    Or, as my brother says, "Look in the mirror for the problem."

The lead acid battery pack in a full sized car is very similar. Do not over-charge it. Do not over-discharge and try to do not operate in extreme ambient temperatures.

And this all applies to Nimh as well. Hmm ... Sounds like a common theme for batteries of many chemistries.

LiPo battery packs are GREAT!
    Last edited by Jakey; 04-22-2017 at 08:29 AM.

RC Qualifier

Battery Heat and Puffing

Jakey, you make my point in your first paragraph. "It's either 1,2,3". Like i said, I have been doing this for a long time. So I'm not a noob complaining about something I have no experience with. Say what you will but lipos are flawed. But if you haven't had any issues. Good for you. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's right, 1, 2 or 3 and the first two are 100% controlled by the user. This means any failures associated with the first two are end user created. That's right, the user causes failures which following three VERY simple rules could have prevented.

Everything in life is flawed, including the most flawed things of all, people. So what if you have to follow a few simple, and I do mean simple, rules; to get hundreds of use-cycles out of a RC LiPo pack. So what! Is it that difficult? Really? If so, we as a use group should not buy gasoline for the lawn mower, nor try to operate the lawn mower. Definitely do not try charging a smart phone, ipad or laptop as they use the exact same technology battery packs in them.

I have been involved with RC since 1986 and I can easily say RC LiPo battery packs are definitely one of the two greatest technologies developed for our use, with brushless motors being the other.

The only problem I have with RC LiPo packs is their eventual death after years of use or countless cycles. If I do experience that rare premature failure, I can say without any question, it was by my doing and I can readily admit it.
    Last edited by Jakey; 04-22-2017 at 09:15 AM.

RC Qualifier
    If they have worked that well for you, once again, enjoy, that's awesome. I guess the 80 million posts about puffy lipos in all the various forums are just from a bunch of idiots that can't comprehend how to use a lipo. Now I know the real issue. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    I guess all the Samsung phone fires were user error. As well as all the hover board fires.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I like my lipo batteries. I take care of them, which takes almost no effort. Mine are 6 months plus old, multiple brands. No issues yet. Poor circuitry on phones and hover boards are the root cause of fires. Interesting read though.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMWICKED View Post
    If they have worked that well for you, once again, enjoy, that's awesome. I guess the 80 million posts about puffy lipos in all the various forums are just from a bunch of idiots that can't comprehend how to use a lipo. Now I know the real issue. Thanks.

Calling names does not help your case in any way. Also, I have a thought the extreme failures you noted in other products were most likely due to the battery packs being over-charged or over-discharged. We never did hear from those vendors as to the real reasons for those battery pack failures.

As with any technology that stores energy, there are real world limits to what the energy container can and cannot withstand. Regardless, if you are that afraid of Lithium-based battery packs and the extremely simple instructions are too much to follow; I suggest you drop away from RC. No one is twisting your arm to make you purchase and use products which you personally deem to be so dangerous and confusing to use.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I like my lipo batteries. I take care of them, which takes almost no effort. Mine are 6 months plus old, multiple brands. No issues yet. Poor circuitry on phones and hover boards are the root cause of fires. Interesting read though.
    Thank you!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Calling names does not help your case in any way. Also, I have a thought the extreme failures you noted in other products were most likely due to the battery packs being over-charged or over-discharged. We never did hear from those vendors as to the real reasons for those battery pack failures.

As with any technology that stores energy, there are real world limits to what the energy container can and cannot withstand. Regardless, if you are that afraid of Lithium-based battery packs and the extremely simple instructions are too much to follow; I suggest you drop away from RC. No one is twisting your arm to make you purchase and use products which you personally deem to be so dangerous and confusing to use.
    Who called someone a name? If you are speaking of my sarcasm, you obviously didn't get it. And why are you attacking me personally? I was just venting my frustration with lipos. This will be my last response to you. As I have already wasted to much time with this. Don't worry, I blame myself.

RC poster
    I'm not sure why anyone would bother with purchasing one of these packs besides the one it comes with. Since it has so many issues apparently. It sounds like the 5000mah 20c pack is more problematic than the 3000mah. My included 3000mah has yet to puff at all nor has the 5000mah 20c Venom I bought along with it, since it's actually a tad shorter than the Trx pack. In hindsight a higher C rated pack would have been a good idea but more $. The Venom 5kmah is the same price as the Trx 3kmah and comes with a Trx plug. I actually like the ID plug in a way since it helps eliminate confusion/adds additional idiot proofing when dealing with LiPos so some dip doesn't ruin it for the rest of us. The only problem is the Trx packs aren't competitive (Pricing, performance or reliability) so they will only be purchased by people who don't want to buy anything besides an included charger. Though Traxxas generally makes a good product and they will help their customers within reason. I also really appreciate the fact the Aton uses full size packs.

RC Enthusiast

Exclamation BEST BATTERIES FOR THE PRICE for the ATON

GENS ACE 3s 11.1v 4000mah 50C batteries with Traxxas plugs. $50 each. They're lighter than the Traxxas 3s 5000mah 20C, have way more punch, and have more capacity than the Traxxas 3s 3000mah 20c. They wont puff on you and they're fantastic

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoadWarrior View Post
    GENS ACE 3s 11.1v 4000mah 50C batteries with Traxxas plugs. $50 each. They're lighter than the Traxxas 3s 5000mah 20C, have way more punch, and have more capacity than the Traxxas 3s 3000mah 20c. They wont puff on you and they're fantastic
    Hi, can you advise either here or by PM which battery you are referring to as I am interested in other brand options and so far have not had a lot of success!
    Regards,
    Bill Randall
    Perth, Western Australia

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    Hi, can you advise either here or by PM which battery you are referring to as I am interested in other brand options and so far have not had a lot of success!
    Looks like he is talking about these. https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_9bp1ot5wbi_b

RC poster
    Duplicate Whoops!

RC poster
    Called Traxxas today about my 5000 mah 20c pack that was puffing, It was so bad it was difficult to get in or out the Atron battery housing. As usual Traxxas were very good, they had me email them pics and will send me a replacement, and also instructions how to neutralize the puffed one, 1/2 cup salt in 1/2 gallon water leave battery in there for a couple days , make sure voltage is zero then toss in regular trash.

RC poster

the c-rating on those batteries are a joke.

The output on those batteries shd be atleast 50c. But thats how they make there $. Cant knock the hustle

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by theficks View Post
    The output on those batteries shd be atleast 50c. But thats how they make there $. Cant knock the hustle
    Traxxas makes some good batteries, although pricey. They actually perform as well as some higher C rated batteries. But 20C on a quad that weighs nearly 2lbs is just lunacy. They should've made 30C packs atleast.

The Gens Ace 3s 4000mah 50c is right for the money though. Weighs perfectly for the power output and priced just right. They also make a 3300mah that's even lighter at 50c. You just can't beat that

RC Enthusiast
    I had the very common Lectron Pro 5200mah 3s puff up like the Michelin man on me. My Aton was left on overnight in a tree but was able to save it (somewhat). I cant fly this thing for the way I want it too. I finally cut my ties with in and recycled it. Can't be too cautious with little ones in the house.
    Last edited by Double G; 06-12-2017 at 07:38 AM. Reason: language

RC Enthusiast
    I'll be calling traxxas about my 5000mah aton battery today. I've had my Aton since Nov 16 and have had less that 20 flights, all 10 minutes long or less. The battery is now puffy and has to be forced into the frame. I've always used the OEM charger since I don't have an adapter for the proprietary connector.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123