RC Qualifier

Best Brushless Motor

Not sure if I can even post this, but I'm curious as to opinions on the best brushless motor for the Slash? I have the brushed Titan but it's not going to last much longer. I'm most concerned with reliability. I don't want to have to buy another motor due to failure, especially considering the cost of brushless.

I'm only running NiMh. No plans to go LiPo. I have an 8.4v and plan to go up to the 9.6v. Backyard dirt bashing.

Should I get the Velineon-3s 3500 or something else? I hear people talk about Castle Creations but my LHS said I wouldn't like the CC and recommended the Velineon. Thanks everyone.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    brushless really benefit from lipo... there is no good reason not to go lipo

you are going to also need a new esc if going brushless... What do you mean considering the cost? you can get an awesome brushless motor for under $30

you can go from mild to wild..... really depends on what your budget is.....

Not sure why your lhs says the Vxl is better. The cc runs cooler, has more power, and is more adjustable.
    Too much power is just enough

RC Qualifier
    If I had to pick one motor for a Slash, would be a Castle 3800kv powered by a Sidewinder 3.

Nothing wrong with the Velineon system per se, but punch control and motor timing are really nice...and when you can get it cheaper...I can't think of any reason not to go that route.

Also, LIPOs rock...go buy one.
    Slash, Street Rally, 4x4 /Slash, Summit LT, Aton.

What they said, wouldn't recommend the vxl system. I dn't know exactly how much they are it may depend but they seem to be around $140 new, which is 40 dollars more than the sv3 system, and with less adjust ability and equal to slightly lower power output. That plus the castle documentation, support, and programming makes it a really nice package. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, just get a cheapo $40 dollar brushless system.

If you want to stay brushed, recommend looking at Orion and Speed Gems motors, either one of those in a 17T will provide a lot more speed and power, along with reliability (as long as you break it in properly).

Remember, the XL5 is only rated to 15T (540). The Titan 12T is a 550 sized motor, which should be the equivalent of a 19T 540 motor, but really acts more like a 21-23T motor.

For brushless, the VXL system really isn't bad, but the CC 3800 system cost less and has more power. BUT... If you are not going to lipo, go with the VXL. The CC 3800 system tries to pull more power from NiMH cells than what they are rated for, which makes them REALLY hot, which leads to failure.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Remember, the XL5 is only rated to 15T (540). The Titan 12T is a 550 sized motor, which should be the equivalent of a 19T 540 motor, but really acts more like a 21-23T motor.
    That depends on the brushed motor. In my personal experience, the 12T Titan is equivalent in speed to a quality 19-turn motor. If we're talking about cheap brushed motors, however, the 12T Titan is more like a 15-turn. It all depends on the quality of the motor.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Thats funny your lhs would say you wouldn't like the castle system. Seams everyone loves it here. Got on in my boys truck and its been great, but again we are running lipo's. The vxl system isn't bad and might be a better choice though for you if your not going lipo for what ever reason as mentioned above post.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks everyone. LHS sells VXL motor and ESC for $140. Adjustability isn't a factor for me. I just want reliability because I don't want to have to buy another brushless setup down the road because the motor or ESC fails. I've had 3 brushed motors fail. I'm happy with NiMH batteries and the 8.4v and 9.6v will be fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 55Chevy View Post
    Thanks everyone. LHS sells VXL motor and ESC for $140. Adjustability isn't a factor for me. I just want reliability because I don't want to have to buy another brushless setup down the road because the motor or ESC fails. I've had 3 brushed motors fail. I'm happy with NiMH batteries and the 8.4v and 9.6v will be fine for me.
    Rest assured, brushless systems can last for upwards of 6 years if you treat them right. If you never let them overheat, the only actual wear is from the bearings in the motor, but those last a loooooong time. If you ever in the future want better run times or more power don't be hesitant to switch to lipo

I'd go with Castle. I have both the Velineon system and castle creations short course 1/10 scale motor. I like my castle creations more than my Velineon. Mostly because of the adjustability. And plus you'd like more adjustability, I know you would and castle has a year warranty and Velineon is like what a 30 day warranty? I've had my castle for almost a year now...

Traxxas with Nimh...

Castle for Lipo....

That really is your choice for reliability and availability
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Competitor
    Asking what the best brushless motor is is a lot like asking what the best brand of pickup is.....

Everyone has their opinions of brands they've had, hated, used, abused, enjoyed, etc....

For giggles I'll toss in :my2c:

Dollar for dollar you simply cannot beat a hobbywing system from Hobbypartz. I have 9 hobby-grade RC vehicles. 7 of them are running hobbywing power systems. I've not had a single issue out of any of these vehicles (in regards to the power systems).

The esc/motor combos are sold with a program card that a 5 year old could understand. Punch settings, lvc, drag-brake, throttle settings, rev. elimination for racing, etc..... The features are great.

Some of their 1/10 systems can be had for under $100 and LARGELY OUTPERFORM many other BL systems I've had from other distributors.

As far as product support, hobbypartz has some of the best customer support around. I've had nothing but positive experiences with them in regards to orders placed.

I've had HW systems in some of my vehicles since 2012... In these same vehicles I've replaced transmissions, spurs, pinions, tires, driveshafts, etc.... Yet the motor and esc still perform as they did on day 1. Temps stay well within reasonable range (with proper gearing of course) and the power is plentiful!

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-17-2016 at 10:34 AM.
    E-Maxx/E-Revo/Slash/Pede/EXT2/MT8E/8ight-T

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Chevy View Post
    All brushed motors fail eventually. Reason why they are so cheap compared to brushless systems. Also depends on how well you maintain brush motors for their longevity.

Keep the heat down on brushless systems and it will last for several years. As everyone else has said, if you have the money, get a Castle setup. If you are limited or don't wanna spend the money get a cheap setup for $40 or so.

A Castle kit will last longer than a,cheap kit will.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dumpedduce View Post
    All brushed motors fail eventually. Reason why they are so cheap compared to brushless systems. Also depends on how well you maintain brush motors for their longevity.

Keep the heat down on brushless systems and it will last for several years. As everyone else has said, if you have the money, get a Castle setup. If you are limited or don't wanna spend the money get a cheap setup for $40 or so.

A Castle kit will last longer than a,cheap kit will.

Yup the way I think about things is, if you go cheap at first then it can come back and bite you in the ****. But I know the OP is held back not only by his wife but money too haha. I know about the wife part because of my dads in this hobby too

RC Racer
    Spouses are very limiting at times. Especially when they find out how much you have actually spent. My live in girlfriend isn't happy with me for this exact reason right now.

Just follow the tire marks and broken parts.
    If you want power get the sv3 esc and the velenion system thats my choice for running.
    RC is an addiction just don't make me go to rehab

Quote Originally Posted by dumpedduce View Post
    Spouses are very limiting at times. Especially when they find out how much you have actually spent. My live in girlfriend isn't happy with me for this exact reason right now.

I guess that's when you do your best to make up for it haha

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderMelon View Post
    I guess that's when you do your best to make up for it haha
    Haha yea a beach vacation next month... lol

RC Qualifier
    3800kv Castle here.....Replaced the bearings 2 times so far because I run hot at 30/83...love the power and the wheelie control.I really don't have any complaints at all.After 2 years I finally hit ESC shutdown from having those same gears in the sand with paddle tires at the beach.So going Lower like 25/86 would keep it cool.It started right back up after 1 minute.It shut down like 3 more times but started back up and took the truck home.Still works fine.

The best brushless is mostly the esc to handle the said voltages.2S or 3S or 4S
    Castle is adjustable.Castle 3800kv V3 can't do 3S but 2S is ok.Water-proof too.I can't say much about the Velineon since I don't own one.

You have to try Lipo,so much better,charging takes 75% faster than nihm batteries.You go 50% longer run times.