RC poster

Aton Motor Prop srew holes stripped out?!

So I've stripped out the screw holes on a motor and now the prop won't screw in. Does this mean I have to buy a whole new motor? Or can the top piece of that motor somehow be replaced? I'd love some experienced input.
    Thanks.

P.S. Love this forum.

RC poster
    I just found this post. Sorry for a similar post. I'm not totally sure I have the best answer, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting a new motor.

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...or-Mount-Screw

RC Competitor
    I was the original poster of the last one. Seriously,if you want to keep flying before repairs, get the Traxxas screw part 7943 and use that in the meantime. It truly snugs it up just fine. All i had to do was shave the plastic of the prop in the existing screw hole to make a slight counter sink so that the screw head was pretty flush with the blade. Literally took me 5 minutes and it was the tightest blade on the aton. Its a coarser screw and literally rethreads the hole perfectly like a little self tapper. Just my 2 cents haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I hadnt even flown the aton before i stripped my first one and i was itching to fly so just came up with a quick fix. Flew about 60 flights before I crashed and snapped the legs off. Not to the fault of the blade, was trying to get some sweet film of lower flips into an 8 ft high speed flight. I just replaced both motors on the broken arms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Double G; 05-12-2016 at 07:16 AM. Reason: merge, edit the post instead of posting more

RC poster
    Sorry for the late response. I actually picked up another motor prior to the screws coming in the mail. I haven't tried this fix yet....as I won't know which blade(A or B) to install in the motor until I break one of the other motors. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    This happened to me after a bad crash. I'm certain the crash happened because on descent from 400 feet up it simply fell out. Even tried tapping the threads to no avail. Ended up replacing the motor for $40 or so.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk99TA View Post
    So I've stripped out the screw holes on a motor and now the prop won't screw in. Does this mean I have to buy a whole new motor? Or can the top piece of that motor somehow be replaced? I'd love some experienced input.
    Thanks.

P.S. Love this forum.
    Hello Hawk99TA,
    How did you manage to strip the hole ?

I stripped one motor screw hole myself when replacing my blades...

You have to replace the motor. I would not play with some other size screw to fix that.

When I stripped the motor, I'm sure I did not put so much force, and I think the screw hole was defective somehow (it just popped and that was it...). Maybe you should call Traxxas to see what they say ?

I always thigten the Blades with the Traxxas Hex Tool (NOT another allen key) cause it kind of behave like a Torque wrench, giving a flexible «Spring» feeling when tightening, and do so by small turn movements to tight, alterning the screws, to get to the point all screws feel well seated, WITHOUT overforcing.

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply. I also use the provided tool...while alternating each screw as to evenly spread the force...without overtightning. My issue was learning to control my altitude. I kept dropping to low. My grass lives at a height of 4-5 inches tall...when I tapped the ground, my props hit the grass and abruptly stopped. After quite a few times of that, I guess it took its toll. Thankfully I have become much better at controlling my altitude. Lol....probably because, if I dont, I know I'll have to spend another $40 on a motor. Ha ha.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    This literally happened to me as well. It is in my experience it was a result of over Tightening the blades (the Aton has hit the ground plenty of times so I can't say for certain it was only due to overtightening the blades... )was changing all 4 blades and on the last one I tightened it too much, I heard a "pop" sound and the screw just kept spinning after that. $40 lesson learned: don't tighten props too tight! Lesson number 2: don't ever crash. Crashing is for noobs!