Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Okay guys, sweet boat here... BUT...

Guys,

Liking the size, paint scheme, TSM, and cat style hull, nice job! BUT.... Leaving an open seat cockpit is a bit toy like for most. If I could make a couple suggestions..

1) Please also offer it with an enclosed hardtop for the cockpit, much more attractive and scale like.

2) Given it's size, please offer an upgraded power plant and prop option(s). She needs more power SCOTTY!

Otherwise, great boat here guys..

Raz

Quote Originally Posted by Razmo View Post
    Guys,

Liking the size, paint scheme, TSM, and cat style hull, nice job! BUT.... Leaving an open seat cockpit is a bit toy like for most. If I could make a couple suggestions..

1) Please also offer it with an enclosed hardtop for the cockpit, much more attractive and scale like.

2) Given it's size, please offer an upgraded power plant and prop option(s). She needs more power SCOTTY!

Otherwise, great boat here guys..

Raz
    @1 : for SCALE the cockpit needs to be open. Please research the actual boat.

@2 : if the motor system is the same as the Spartan, it should be quicker due to the hull type difference. It'll also be more difficult to handle on all but rather smooth surface conditions.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post

@2 : if the motor system is the same as the Spartan, it should be quicker due to the hull type difference. It'll also be more difficult to handle on all but rather smooth surface conditions.
    Agreed...
    this thing looks killer and its scale just like many of us wanted
    not even out yet and some already are complaining
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Racer

No, it doesn't need to be open. I'm well aware the actual boat has an open cockpit. Unfortunately, on a model is looks "toy like" versus full "scale like" which is why enclosed cockpits resemble a more scale like appearance.

Trust me, it can handle an upgraded power plant and it needs one.

Raz

RC Racer
    I'll agree it looks killer, however also "toy like" in my opinion.

Raz

RC Qualifier
    Sign me up for one . I for one like the look of the boat. About time they built a cat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I'm a long time Traxxas guy, but something along the lines of an enclosed cockpit cat, such like the attached would be killer.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I just might get one seeing that I'm soon moving to an area that has water near.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by magnum500sw View Post
    Sign me up for one . I for one like the look of the boat. About time they built a cat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Agreed man!
    Love the scale looks!
    First MiniSlash

No, it doesn't need to be open. I'm well aware the actual boat has an open cockpit. Unfortunately, on a model is looks "toy like" versus full "scale like" which is why enclosed cockpits resemble a more scale like appearance.

Trust me, it can handle an upgraded power plant and it needs one.

Raz
    Did you happen to catch the name of the boat? I don't think Traxxas just picked the name out of a hat. I would guess that there is a licensing agreement in effect here. If there is - as is undoubtedly the case - then Traxxas would have had to pick another boat to model in order to meet your requirements. There would be no, "We'll call it an 'X' but make it look nothing like an 'X'" clause in the agreement.
    It's rather unusual for someone to claim to want scale but not want scale. It seems contradictory. Looking exactly like the the real thing is more toy-like...hmmm. Diff'rent strokes.

RC Competitor
    Looks like another toy for my�� glad I have a son! 1 have one and get to buy 1 for him LOL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'd say Traxxas got it right.

RC Racer
    YES...............!!!!!! Finally a new boat that I'm interested in.

This thing looks killer. I had a Spartan early on and was never a fan of it. Just didn't do anything for me in the looks department. This thing looks killer. Putting my order into Tower tonight.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    I'd say Traxxas got it right.

Paint mine just like that!!
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post

Paint mine just like that!!
    Yea I kinda hope we see another color from this boat. Still would get it either way but a solid red color would be nice

RC poster
    I love the looks of the M41! Very scale considering the boat they are replicating. !!Look at the product page guys!! I however am also going to be a cry baby in the power department. I have a Proboat Zelos Twin on order. I dialed my LHS # to tell them I needed to swap my deposit when I opened the e-mail... until I realized it was just the Spartan power system. I have two Spartans. One stock and one with every trick in the book done to it. I'm over the power those have and only pull them out to "fun run" with them. I have been hoping that Traxxas would step to the plate, fix the short comings of the Spartan, and then release a heavy hitter in regards to the other offerings on the RTR market right now. Thought this was it, but you're not going to sell me on looks alone. I finally joined the forum to help in the fight I knew there would be to have some changes put in the ear of Traxxas in regards to this boat. HEY TRAXXAS!!!!

1 - Lose the silicone water jacket. It's junk. Like buying a Ferrari with a Honda Civic radiator. I say this because they were junk on the Spartan and you left it to the aftermarket to supplement the issue.

2 - Offer a second paint scheme. I too love the looks of the real M41 Red & Black shown on the product page and in this thread.

3 - MAKE IT A TWIN! No little 36mm motors. Twin 540XL and VXL-6s! Can you say awesome! Would probably run great on 4S per side and would be an absolute beast with 6S per side.

4 - Get rid of the 2056 servo and put in the 2075 from the jump. Honestly the 2075 is still weak IMO.

5 - Offer it with all the telemetry you can throw at it. Yes... even the GPS & expansion box.

6 - Lose the ABS hull. ABS is for little retention pond runners and kids boats. Fiberglass is the way to go.

Well any-who... There's my $1.00.... You can keep the $0.98!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea I kinda hope we see another color from this boat. Still would get it either way but a solid red color would be nice
    I wonder how hard it will be to paint when I get mine ?
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by EJHeavey View Post
    I love the looks of the M41! Very scale considering the boat they are replicating. !!Look at the product page guys!! I however am also going to be a cry baby in the power department. I have a Proboat Zelos Twin on order. I dialed my LHS # to tell them I needed to swap my deposit when I opened the e-mail... until I realized it was just the Spartan power system. I have two Spartans. One stock and one with every trick in the book done to it. I'm over the power those have and only pull them out to "fun run" with them. I have been hoping that Traxxas would step to the plate, fix the short comings of the Spartan, and then release a heavy hitter in regards to the other offerings on the RTR market right now. Thought this was it, but you're not going to sell me on looks alone. I finally joined the forum to help in the fight I knew there would be to have some changes put in the ear of Traxxas in regards to this boat. HEY TRAXXAS!!!!

1 - Lose the silicone water jacket. It's junk. Like buying a Ferrari with a Honda Civic radiator. I say this because they were junk on the Spartan and you left it to the aftermarket to supplement the issue.

2 - Offer a second paint scheme. I too love the looks of the real M41 Red & Black shown on the product page and in this thread.

3 - MAKE IT A TWIN! No little 36mm motors. Twin 540XL and VXL-6s! Can you say awesome! Would probably run great on 4S per side and would be an absolute beast with 6S per side.

4 - Get rid of the 2056 servo and put in the 2075 from the jump. Honestly the 2075 is still weak IMO.

5 - Offer it with all the telemetry you can throw at it. Yes... even the GPS & expansion box.

6 - Lose the ABS hull. ABS is for little retention pond runners and kids boats. Fiberglass is the way to go.

Well any-who... There's my $1.00.... You can keep the $0.98!

Woo! this sounds Awesome! but do you realize with some of these requests...this boat would probably be over $800+ retail.

But I do agree on the the 2056. That feature really is a head-scratcher on such a vehicle.

RC poster
    Yes sir I do! And to me it would be worth every red cent! I'm not allowed to post pictures yet. But if I could.. I would show you how RC crazy I am. Lol!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Woo! this sounds Awesome! but do you realize with some of these requests...this boat would probably be over $800+ retail.

But I do agree on the the 2056. That feature really is a head-scratcher on such a vehicle.
    And at that price many new boaters could not buy it
    Good thing Traxxas knows what they are doing and not making a boat that is close to a grand.
    I for one want to see many new boaters hit the water and this cat will do so!
    First MiniSlash

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post
    And at that price many new boaters could not buy it
    Good thing Traxxas knows what they are doing and not making a boat that is close to a grand.
    I for one want to see many new boaters hit the water and this cat will do so!
    I'm sorry... but i beg to differ. RC boats are not in the beginner RC category at all when you get 24in or larger and brushless. I work at a local hobby store and we carry a large selection of boats. I deal with customers all the time that come in and say "I just moved into a house and we have a pond close and I'd like to get an RC boat." OK! Cool! Unfortunately, if they don't have anything else RC, the initial investment for an RC boat stacks up fast and usually sends them over to look at an RC car, or worse, over to Toys R Us to get a cheap boat or car. We always keep a Spartan in stock and we only sell one once a month. Maybe. Unless somebody's neighbor has one and they have already experienced it first hand and been somewhat schooled on the maintenance and cost of all the gear, a Spartan is next to impossible to sell to a beginner unless they are purely determined to own one. When the M41 comes in we will have a handful of sales to the die hard Traxxas locals. After that this boat will sit for weeks. It's not a beginner boat.

Thanks for your enthusiasm.

RC Racer
    I'm sorry... but i beg to differ. RC boats are not in the beginner RC category at all when you get 24in or larger and brushless. I work at a local hobby store and we carry a large selection of boats. I deal with customers all the time that come in and say "I just moved into a house and we have a pond close and I'd like to get an RC boat." OK! Cool! Unfortunately, if they don't have anything else RC, the initial investment for an RC boat stacks up fast and usually sends them over to look at an RC car, or worse, over to Toys R Us to get a cheap boat or car. We always keep a Spartan in stock and we only sell one once a month. Maybe. Unless somebody's neighbor has one and they have already experienced it first hand and been somewhat schooled on the maintenance and cost of all the gear, a Spartan is next to impossible to sell to a beginner unless they are purely determined to own one. When the M41 comes in we will have a handful of sales to the die hard Traxxas locals. After that this boat will sit for weeks. It's not a beginner boat.
    Thank you for explaining exactly why this boat should NOT be approaching a $1000. It's out of reach for Traxxas's target market. Traxxas focuses on entry level users. They really need something in between the Villian which is rather boring and the Spartan which is cost prohibitive to most.

RC poster

Okay guys, sweet boat here... BUT...

If you would like to discuss boats you have ordered from other manufacturers, please feel free to do so on their forums. Also, please try to remember that this is a Traxxas forum for Traxxas enthusiasts. These people may not have identical requirements or the same prejudices as you have. If you can remember that, then maybe we can avoid anybody's feelings being hurt.
    ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-14-2016 at 07:34 PM.

RC Racer
    Did you happen to catch the name of the boat? I don't think Traxxas just picked the name out of a hat. I would guess that there is a licensing agreement in effect here. If there is - as is undoubtedly the case - then Traxxas would have had to pick another boat to model in order to meet your requirements. There would be no, "We'll call it an 'X' but make it look nothing like an 'X'" clause in the agreement.
    It's rather unusual for someone to claim to want scale but not want scale. It seems contradictory. Looking exactly like the the real thing is more toy-like...hmmm. Diff'rent strokes.
    Of course it's licensing/cost specific. There are plenty of enclosed full scale racers that can be modeled after. Whether you agree an enclosed cockpit model appears more scale like in model form is entirely your opinion. Not contradictory, I simply disagree little plastic seats and interior look anything like the real deal. It' looks ridiculous. It's a model, at times there are areas that cannot be replicated to retain the full scale feel. This is one of them.

Of course it's licensing/cost specific. There are plenty of enclosed full scale racers that can be modeled after. Whether you agree an enclosed cockpit model appears more scale like in model form is entirely your opinion. Not contradictory, I simply disagree little plastic seats and interior look anything like the real deal. It' looks ridiculous. It's a model, at times there are areas that cannot be replicated to retain the full scale feel. This is one of them.
    Yes there are many boats out there. I don't see another Traxxas boat being released any time soon. Perhaps it is time to just deal with the open seats or to modify the model as you see fit.

RC Racer
    Yes there are many boats out there. I don't see another Traxxas boat being released any time soon. Perhaps it is time to just deal with the open seats or to modify the model as you see fit.
    Perhaps it would be most beneficial to spend time posting useful information. We'll appreciate photos/vids of your M41 purchase, experience with and/or modified M41 and costs.

Raz

Perhaps it would be most beneficial to spend time posting useful information. We'll appreciate photos/vids of your M41 purchase, experience with and/or modified M41 and costs.

Raz
    Great suggestion. It will be very interesting to see the canopies that members will undoubtedly create for the cockpits.

RC poster
    Ok Mr Super moderator ksb51rl! What was wrong with my last post that you found the need to simply delete the whole thing? Afraid of an honest conversation? In my 24 hours on this forum I have found nothing you post to be of any value to me or the community. Your censorship is over bearing to say the least and your affiliation with Traxxas must be one sided as I mentioned before I find no value with your involvement on this forum.

Ok Mr Super moderator ksb51rl! What was wrong with my last post that you found the need to simply delete the whole thing? Afraid of an honest conversation? In my 24 hours on this forum I have found nothing you post to be of any value to me or the community. Your censorship is over bearing to say the least and your affiliation with Traxxas must be one sided as I mentioned before I find no value with your involvement on this forum.
    Laying it out there for all to see: he has been here for 9.5 years with well over 18,000 posts and you could not find one? This is a Traxxas forum and by signing up you agreed to Traxxas' terms and conditions. I would highly suggest you read and understand the rules of this private forum. Much like your house what you say goes. Same here in Traxxas' house. You don't have to pay to join, there's no outside advertisement nor do you need to provide a proof of purchase, therefore, Traxxas has a right to censor the forum and you won't have anything to stand on by crying "My First Amendment Rights are being violated!" - the same amount of rights I have in your private house.

I have very conveniently provided the following for you:
    Community Goals
    Online Community Behavior

Now back on topic.
    Last edited by Double G; 05-14-2016 at 08:39 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    I like the scale cockpit and it does look very much like he dcb 1:1 boat. The paint is too flashy for my taste, but I'm hoping it will look a lot better in person than in pictures. As far as the stock motor and esc, I'm sure it will run just fine, but my only concern is how difficult will it be to tape up the hatch and keep the water out?

I'm well aware the actual boat has an open cockpit. Unfortunately, on a model is looks "toy like" versus full "scale like" which is why enclosed cockpits resemble a more scale like appearance.
    I'm sure that KSB is right with all the licensing, contracting, and legal stuff that goes along with the making of a real scale replica of an actual boat, but I think what Razmo is talking about here is a different kind of realism. Let me take a few minutes and explain my theory, and why I agree with what I believe he is trying to say. The new Traxxas boat is suppose to be a replica of actual boat, which in this case the real boat has an open cockpit. Okay, I understand that.

If I had this boat sitting on a shelf in my man room, I would fully be able to appreciate its realism. However, once I put this (or, any other model) boat in the water, and start to use it as a RC boat it looses some of its' realism due to it's open cockpit. Why? Because, a real boat doesn't go down a lake without anyone driving it. If the cockpit was closed (although, in this case would not be perfectly scale) a persons mind is allowed to use his imagination to pretend (or, mentally immerse himself) into thinking he is almost inside driving the boat. This makes the boat feel more real rather than toy-ish.

With some, with an open cockpit, this imagination is not easily possible, and thereby making a mental immersion difficult at best. In this case, having an open cockpit would cheapen the experience by making a person feel as though he was only playing with a toy. For me, I would be one of the guys that would either have to have a closed cockpit, or have to have little scale guys looking as though they were actually controlling the boat for me to fully appreciate Traxxas' new boat.

Anyway, that's (in my opinion) what I think Razmo's talking about. In closing, I would like to get Traxxas' new boat, but for the record I built a Traxxas inspired cat a couple of years ago. It has a closed cockpit, and has all Traxxas parts (electronics, telemetry, and final drive) except for the hull. It even has all the Off Shore Electronics upgrades. I'm only showing you guys this, because of the picture Razmo posted above. I figure (in this case) it must be okay. It kind of looks like G-Rustler's picture except with a closed cockpit.

Traxxas Inspired Hull Graphics

Traxxas Electronics and Telemetry

Off Shore Upgrades
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-17-2016 at 08:25 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    Can anyone confirm, this new boat from Traxxas does in fact have a stepped hull?

What's a stepped hull?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    What's a stepped hull?
    You're boat has a stepped hull (versus a flat bottom), it keeps her stabile in turns, etc..

Raz

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR View Post
    Can anyone confirm, this new boat from Traxxas does in fact have a stepped hull?
    Great question! I would hope so. EJ had a great point as well, it's ABS Plastic versus lightweight, strong fiberglass... Bummer!

Raz

I'd rather have the plastic. I think it's way better than having fiberglass.

You're boat has a stepped hull.
    What is the parts on my boats hull that makes up the stepped part?

RC Competitor
    It does. You can see it in the pre production video from the other thread and in some of the gallery pics.
    Last edited by forescott; 05-18-2016 at 11:27 PM.

RC Competitor
    Theoretically a stepped hull will reduce drag and increase efficiency, resulting in more speed. As long as the boat is trimmed correctly.

Theoretically a stepped hull will reduce drag and increase efficiency, resulting in more speed. As long as the boat is trimmed correctly.
    Yes, but what's the parts on a cat's hull that makes up the stepped part?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast