RC poster

Question Restoring EMAXX 3906

Hey, new to the RC game and picked up an EMAXX 3906 that has been in a garage exposed to the elements for the last few years. What's the best way to get it ready? Take it apart and clean everything, replace what I want to upgrade and go from there? It has the original Titan monster 14v motors and stock electrics. I want to get it ready for bashing. Appreciate any help for the less informed..... starting on my RC journey... thanks

I'd find a bearing set. Fast Eddies would be my first pick. Then get a screw set from Tony's screws. Tear it down, clean it and put it back together with the new bearings and screws. Be a great time to go to RPM everystuff. And if you're after max power I'd make the jump to brushless and lipo.
    Being as you're new to RC, I'd put it back to stock form, get RPM when you break something. Get used to the stock power and when you get "tired" of that, then go brushless.

RC poster
    Yeah I'd buy a completely new hardware kit from rc screwz or someone similar. Maybe new tires if the current ones are dry/trashed. Lube your diffs, replace anything that has rust etc. Good luck!

RC poster
    Hey, thanks bud. Appreciate the advice.

RC Competitor
    Disassemble it and clean it. Check the bearings and clean it/lube it if you want, otherwise buy new ones. Use grease on rotating parts wich are not exposed to dirt/dust. On driveshafts and open gears use ptfe-lube, its dry and wont attract dust. I recommend to upgrade some improved parts from newer models. Maybe the pictures help a bit:

http://s115.photobucket.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/sui...uide4.jpg.html

http://s115.photobucket.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/sui...uide1.jpg.html

RC Champion
    You could swap the motors for a single 775 Titan

Good luck with the restoration
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Champion
    I had good results with upgrading the steering

Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC poster
    I have a 3906 also and I want to swap the body for a 73 Bronco but not sure if it is 1/8 or 1/10 scale?

1/8 i would think. If your talking about a proline body, you can always go onto the proline website and just select the e maxx and youll know for sure your getting the right one.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Enthusiast
    Does anyone know if aluminum gearbox or aluminum diff cover provide any benefit or added strength on an e-maxx???

RC Competitor
    This stiff gearboxes wont flex so the gearmesh stays always the same. This helps to avoid gearstripping.

RC Enthusiast
    Okay thanks! Just trying to make my truck the best it could be without spending loads of money on parts I don't need to be wasting my money on. For being a newbie on upgrading, As many tips I have the better, if you know any other aftermarket parts that help that would be a big help

RC Competitor
    In most cases you wont need a aluminium gearbox, spend the money on other parts. I think these parts are good if you have a realy big motor and due to this problems with the gears.

RC Competitor

Be leary of stainless steel screw sets. I strip them out constantly! I use MIP drivers, and I have found them to be the absolute best there is, and I still strip stainless steel screws. They are good for one or two removals and that is it! I use black oxide every chance I get - Ebay sells stock screw kits from guys who part out trucks and cars. My go do option.

Aluminum gearbox, as stated, not needed. That truck doesn't produce nearly enough power to damage trans gears. Save your money for when you want to upgrade the chassis to the longer chassis and newer transmission - soon, I'm sure!

Pictures or it never happened....we all love pictures.
    "RED"

RC Enthusiast
    I am not running the stock motors or esc...I am running castles mamba monster mxl-6s 2200kV ESC and motor and running that set up with traxxas 5000mah 11.1v lipos. I also have a the stock slipper the tightest it will go with out striping....would that set up potentially damage the trans gears

I also have another quick question, what would be better? The stock slipper ,an aftermarket slipper or just a plan slipper eliminator
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-16-2016 at 07:07 AM. Reason: merge

I have no issues with the stock slipper - save the money on a fancy one and just go stock.
    "RED"