RC Enthusiast

Castle 2028 blower fan on XMAXX query

All
    Apologies if this has already been discussed or covered (I did look, honest)

So I've installed the fan in my xmaxx. Took it out on 2x 5000 Traxxas batteries and normally get a good run on these. However the batteries only lasted maybe 10 minutes.

I can only assume it's the fan? Does it draw that much power?

Was looking at running the fan from its own power source. What would you recommend? Was going to put a 9v battery connection on the end

Can I have your comments please. Many thanks.

RC Qualifier
    The fan uses very little battery. You most likely hit thermal shutdown because your esc was too hot. Did you notice if your esc fan was still spinning? If it does it again observe the blink code the esc is making.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Hi big Tim. Thanks for the reply. I've never had thermal shutdown since using the xmaxx so thought that as it was its first run with the twin fans this was to blame. It was probably the most sensible it had been driven too as I had a new GoPro on the roof.

Do you think it's worth running the fans from their own power source?

RC Racer
    Agree with bigtim1985, those fans only use MAmps.

RC Racer
    Like others said. You won't notice a difference in runtime by adding the fans.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi. So the general consensus is thermal cut out? Yes the fans were still running.
    Man that's crazy. What can I do to stop this from happening? Drive it like an "ol lady" at the weekend and this is the result?
    Any advice welcome
    As its a bloody heavy truck to have in tow when all the other cars are still tearing up the dirt, cheers

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rakeboy View Post
    Hi. So the general consensus is thermal cut out? Yes the fans were still running.
    Man that's crazy. What can I do to stop this from happening? Drive it like an "ol lady" at the weekend and this is the result?
    Any advice welcome
    As its a bloody heavy truck to have in tow when all the other cars are still tearing up the dirt, cheers
    Are u running stock gearing?when i had stock gearing with cc dual fans and 2x 3s 5000mah lipos I was getting 25-30min runs even with full throttle at times.

RC Qualifier
    are you positive that your lipo's were fully charged? Either that or a jammed up fan is all i can think of.

RC Enthusiast
    Yup completely stock everything. Batteries fully charged a few hours before on the Traxxas iD charger. Maybe it wa thermal cut out then? Just never experienced it before? Will give it another go and see how things pan out. Thanks guys for your help.

Most fans draw not even one amp, while ur motor draws several hundred, so fans are REALLY low power. Maybe it could be a BEC issue. Check the voltage of the batteries

RC Enthusiast
    Out of interest guys there is some talk of the ESC not being that great. Any truth in that?
    Would you recommend swapping out the ESC? If so what to and could I keep everything else stock. Thanks in advance.

RC Racer
    Hobbywing max6 is a good upgrade that fits in the factory location.

RC Enthusiast
    Perfect thanks. So ado works with stock
    Motor and gearing? Can I still use my Traxxas controller too?

RC Enthusiast
    Looking at the cost of a hobbywing esc. For a few quid more thinking of putting in a castle 2028 system. Is this waterproof? Not to worried about making it go crazy fast as quite happy with the speed (well maybe a little more). My only concern is how much
    More do I need to mod? Diffs? Gearing? Tyres? Wheels? Controller?
    I'm no expert but happy to give installation a go. Any advice seriously welcome. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    If your pretty happy with the stock setup I would check out kershaw designs 6s motor/esc setup. It should be a nice bump from stock but not insane like the castle or leopard 8s setups. All depends what your looking for.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Yes the max6 will work with stock motor, stock gearing (or you can up the gearing to make it faster), and stock radio gear. You just have to solder the connector to it for the battery hookup.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi guys, will check out best prices and options for both as I'm in the UK. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.