RC Qualifier

BEC guide for noobs?

Inspired by another thread I started looking for a guide to BEC:s on Summit but I failed to find one. I have some steering servo weirdness (Sav÷x 30-ish kg) that I believe would be solved with a BEC. Which one should I get, and how does one go about connecting it?

Does a BEC solve one problem by adding another, or is such a device just something you plug in and it automatically solves your servo drain problems?

Mounting solutions would also be very interesting to see, if someone would like to share.

Thanks!!
    Summit, Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I've installed the castle creations bec, which I love, into my boat and friends summit. Not sure if it will fix the problems you are having but it does help when running high output servos. So castle creations bec is the one I recommend, installation is easyish. First you have to solder on the wire leads onto the plug connected to the esc. Next you just simply plug it into an open slot and your good to go!
    Have Fun and Drive Recklessly

^^ Yup. I dont recall what the default voltage setting is so you should check into that before you power it up as to avoid frying stuff. On the other hand it could be set around 5v which would not fry anything but would be underpowering your servo therefore not letting the servo show its true potential.

Unfortunately the only way to change the voltage setting is via a castle link which costs an additional $20 or so.

I mounted mine with some simple servo tape. Works great for my bashing needs.

The BEC itself has no on/off swich from the factory so youll get a little spark and your Rx will turn on as soon as you plug in a battery. Your esc still wont have power until you toggle it's on/off switch though. If you want, you can add a second switch for the BEC but i didnt find it necessary.

Make sure you remove the BEC wire from the esc plug. This will be outlined in the instructions that come with the BEC.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

There is a option to wire it to just power the servo at whatever voltage is required.if you go that route post up here and someone will help you out.
    I second the castle 10 amp bec.they are factory set to 5.5v I think so you will need to adjust that.if you have a hobby shop or someone who runs castle stuff they will have a link to adjust the voltage output.
    Savox are know to be a bit amp hungry so the bec will feed it what it needs

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Thanks everyone!

RC Competitor
    A BEC might help to solve your problem. Are you sure your only problem is the higher ampere drain from the sav÷x? Maybee your servos aren't set up perfect and fighting each other instead of working "hand in hand". This can course excessive drain.

RC Qualifier
    I've only got one servo so there are no conflict issues. The servo isn't always responding the way it should. It happens very seldom and I haven't found any recurring patterns. I'll try a BEC and see if it helps Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsjo View Post
    I've only got one servo so there are no conflict issues. The servo isn't always responding the way it should. It happens very seldom and I haven't found any recurring patterns. I'll try a BEC and see if it helps Thanks!
    Make sure the bec goes on the bec side only.it will short if connected to the non bec side.the esc is wired in parallel inside after it pulls bec voltage from one side.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried