RC Enthusiast

slash 4x4 vs rustler vxl

hey im somewhat new to rc racing and am upgrading my car. i was almost settled on getting a slash 4x4 with tsm until my friend offered me a rustler vxl with a 3s lipo battery, wheelie bar, and proline dirt hawg 2.8 on all tires for around 400 bucks. he said there was more upgrades but i dont know excactly what they are (they look like raised suspension, maybe just the tires). its in fairly good condition just as any used rc car would be. ill mostly be on dirt, jumps, rocks, grass, and sand. ill have an occasional mud ride and maybe a race or two. anyway tell me which one i should get please. price really isn't a factor.

Well, you mentioned racing twice so if you're talking about racing on a track competitively, visit the track to see what classes they run and what trucks people are running in those classes. If you're talking about racing/bashing with your buddies I'd say get one of each...lol. See my sig
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    your buddy is asking too much for that rustler.

slash 4x4 would be my choice

RC Qualifier
    For me, I always prefer new then used but it's your friend. I have both actually and I love my slash 4x4 with TSM. my slash is my beater and my rustler is my speed runner though so totally different setups. but from what you're mostly doing id get a slash 4x4 bro.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by stick View Post
    your buddy is asking too much for that rustler.

slash 4x4 would be my choice
    even with the lipo and charger?

Yes, that is too much for a used Rustler even with a 3S battery. You can easily get a NEW Rusty with NiMH for $330, then get a charger and 3S lipo for around $100. The Rustler with a 3S is going to be hard to control. If you plan on bashing with it I'd stick with 2S. Mine still won't keep the front tires on the ground with 2S. If you want speed runs 3S is fine, but you'll have to lower it, plant the wheelie bar all the way down, etc and you will still have to have extreme throttle control to keep the front wheels on the ground and retain steering.

If money is not factor get a Slash 4x4 Ultimate if that is not enough for you upgrade it to the Mamba Monster 2 or X and 2650 or 2200 motor.
    Rustler | MERV | Summit | Slash Ultimate | Slash

First, I think it is too much, given that it is in good condition and everything works, I would say $250-300. "Upgrade" is a dubious term at best, so don't put too much stock into it. In general, RC cars do not hold their value at all.

Aside from the price, look at where you want to run, will a 2WD get you there? If you are looking at mud, sand, tall grass, then you might want to stick with your gut, and go with the 4WD Slash.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Check out this lot that sold for about $400

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121930911813

Get the slash now and a rustler next year.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    thanks,, getting the slash right now

Quote Originally Posted by Swampthing View Post
    Yes, that is too much for a used Rustler even with a 3S battery. You can easily get a NEW Rusty with NiMH for $330, then get a charger and 3S lipo for around $100. The Rustler with a 3S is going to be hard to control. If you plan on bashing with it I'd stick with 2S. Mine still won't keep the front tires on the ground with 2S. If you want speed runs 3S is fine, but you'll have to lower it, plant the wheelie bar all the way down, etc and you will still have to have extreme throttle control to keep the front wheels on the ground and retain steering.

If money is not factor get a Slash 4x4 Ultimate if that is not enough for you upgrade it to the Mamba Monster 2 or X and 2650 or 2200 motor.
    what exactly is the difference with the slash ultimate
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-20-2016 at 11:57 AM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by 42ramsay View Post
    what exactly is the difference with the slash ultimate
    Tons of Aluminum upgrades, (Carrier, hubs, motor mount, etc.) Low CG chassis, and i belive it comes with a speed pinion, and a center diff. Wheels are grey, not sure if tires are any different though.
    Upgraded Slash 4x4 | 75+ MPH

Quote Originally Posted by SlashSlayer4x4 View Post
    Tons of Aluminum upgrades, (Carrier, hubs, motor mount, etc.) Low CG chassis, and i belive it comes with a speed pinion, and a center diff. Wheels are grey, not sure if tires are any different though.
    All that stuff except the motor mount..motor plate is aluminum, the bearing adapter is aluminum but the mount itself is plastic. The tires are S1 compound BFGs(pretty decent really). You'll get telemetry and the bluetooth radio as well as GTR shocks and TSM. Couple sets off sway bars and as mentioned the center diff and speed pinion. It really is a great truck!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    The ultimate is worth ever extra penny.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Get the Slash 4x4, much more versatile if later you want to turn it into MT, Short course racer or just a plain basher. SLASH's take the beating and come back for more.
    Traxxas UDR Fox Edition, TRX4, Slash 4x4.

RC poster
    I've currently got a Bandit VXL and looking at converting it into a Rustler, but now considering the Slash VXL 4x4 Platinum Edition (rolling chassis) in just wondering if I'm biting too much off for a noob. Although it does look fun!

Get the Platinum.

Better to grow into something then to outgrow it!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I agree with almost all the above, mostly $400 being way to much for a rusty.
    I'd go with the platinum as well, I dont go for all the fancy telemetry but thats just me.
    Same with the TSM, most seem to love it, I've tried it;has its good points but you lose something in the hole rc experience imo.
    I'm by far a minority in this area as most seem to love it, for me its best feature is you can turn it off.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 10-05-2016 at 07:46 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    i'm fairly fresh back into RC, so take what i say with a grain of salt, but my first modern RC (as opposed to my RC10T from the early 90's) was a Rustler vxl. it was so much fun, but got old quick, so i got an 2wd SCT from AE, and fell in love with how versatile the SCT chassis is. parts became difficult to get for the SC10, so i bought a slash 4x4 roller off ebay. boy howdie, is that rig awesome. hands down, the most versatile truck in RC. with very little mods, you can have so many types of vehicles in one. it can be an SCT, or a Monster truck, or a speed demon, or a GT8 on-road racer, or even a submarine! The online community is so much more helpful and not totally focused on ROAR Racing like other brands, and you have so many people that mod the living daylight out of these rigs. i would vote SL4SH all the way!
    I'm not that big a fan of TSM because there are times when it gets confused and you can't get the truck to do what you want. especially on offroad applications. it has a hard time with banked corners or inclined straights, and especially off-camber corners. i little throttle control can go a long way.