RC Enthusiast

Proline Trenchers

Hey guys,
    I just got Proline Trenchers 2.8 for the rear on my Rusty. I was wondering should I get more Trenchers for the front or get a different tire. I want a different one because the stock ones are too small compared to the Trenchers. Also are the Big Bore Shocks good? And is 16/90 a good gearing for the Trenchers?

RC Enthusiast
    Also whats a good 2s lipo to use with the Rusty?

RC Champion
    Just to help us out what is your current setup ? Motor/ESC/Servo ? It will help but here is some general information.

Most people are going to say SPC or Traxxas lipo's and they are good lipo's but there are others out there as well

16/90 with the trenchers is a good idea. They are GREAT off road tire but they are HUGE and will cause you to gain more heat then a stock or 2.2 sized tire. I would recommend getting another set with the same rear offset for the fronts not only so you can rotate the tires which will make them last practically forever but also to help give you more weight up front. The trenchers have so much traction in the rear that you are going to notice that your steering isn't as responsive as it used to be.

Big bores are GREAT shocks but I have used them and the stock ultras for years with not much if any issues. I would only get the big bores if it an aesthetic reason, putting an alum shock cap on the ultra's will make them have less issues from what I've heard but then again I have used stock ones and big bores with no issues for several years.
    1 Slash 3 Rustys & visits with my old P4de/SC8

RC Enthusiast
    OK thanks, My current settup is stock VXL.(Brushless Velineion 3500 motor, velineion vxl-3s, 2075 servo)

RC Enthusiast
    Is Venom lipos good also?

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBoss View Post
    Is Venom lipos good also?
    Most people say no.... I like Venom yes but is better out there, SPC SMC Traxxas Floureon to name a few

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you!

Spc lipo, and if you are gonna up grade shocks go with the slash 4x4 gtr by traxxas. Tire are really a preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If it cant be broke, I'll break it.

RC Racer
    I got 2 Floureon 3s lipos for like $60 on Amazon. 35C 5500 mah. So far so good.

RC Racer
    +1 vote for SMC lipos.

I've got that exact setup (Stock VXL on a Rustler) with Trenchers in both rear and front... I run 19/87 and I don't have problem with temps, but I'm not very trigger happy However, as AC RacerX said... the steering is not too responsive with the trenchers, forget those tight turns... won't happen. I don't have the stock tires (picked up the Rustler used and the tires were busted), but I think steering would be better with the stock tires up front (with the trenchers in the back)... I don't know, just an idea I need to test really, but haven't gotten there yet.

I don't think the big bore are worth it... never had them, but the ultra shocks are serving me well. I just swtiched to alum caps and that's it... never had a problem.

I have a venom 2s2p lipo that I've had for about 6 years and it still runs strong. Having said that, most of my lipos are from *********.
    Revo .18TM
    BL Rustler
    Stampede
    HPI Sprint 2

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys, I'm gonna buy another set of Trenchers for the front and get some new gears 16/90. I'm also getting two Floureon 2s 5200mah. What is a good heatsink for the motor that will fit on the Rustler VXL?

RC Competitor
    If you have a problem with under steer with the trenches up front I would recommend badlands up front, my rusty won't stop flipping over when I turn because the badlands have such good bite
    Always have a screwdriver handy!

RC Champion
    For a heatsink for the motor just get an Integy or HotRacing aluminum transmission.
    1 Slash 3 Rustys & visits with my old P4de/SC8