RC Competitor

Rustler heatsink?

I need to know which traxxas motor heatsink will fit my rustler vxl without modifications.
    Last edited by Hunter1227; 05-21-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Ones like http://www.amazon.com/Integy-T8074SI...c+car+heatsink work only. Keep in mind they dont cool that well since they have a lower surface area access to the motor, but they work okay

RC Competitor
    So traxxas doesn't make any?

Integy makes heat sinks. You need to cut some out. There's no ways around it unless you get a different transmission case. I mean if you have snips for cutting metal you can cut a little corner out for it to fit under the wire and around the place the wires connect to the motor. You need a fan for it, which it comes with. Just get the one with the single fan
    This
    http://www.amazon.com/Integy-T8074BL.../dp/B001MYRQGE

Most heatsinks for a 540 sized motor will fit. Here is a thread that may have some helpful information for you.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

No traxxas doesn't actually make any heat sinks, but I think they should.

I mean you really shouldn't need one though, I don't use one anymore. Geared 26/83. But I'm thinking of it. I have one my fan doesn't work, and my temps after 3s was around 170 degrees. And that's the hottest it's ever been, ever. So it couldn't have hurt it that much since a week after I got the car I had a heatsink and fan...
    This is how much I had to trim
    Last edited by WonderMelon; 05-21-2016 at 07:52 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    are you running into heat issues? a lot of people just throw on a heatsink and fan, and don't realize that a gearing change is needed

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    are you running into heat issues? a lot of people just throw on a heatsink and fan, and don't realize that a gearing change is needed
    Well, I just threw one on. Because I didn't want to run into heat issues. But I'd rather lose a tiny bit of run time and have everything cooler.

Bastens makes a heatsink that fits on without mods. I ordered two but they are in the mail still. You can also add the strc motor plate that goes inside the tranny case. Not only will it stiffen your tranny box/mounting wall and keep the motor from slipping out of mesh, it seems to help with the heat a lot. Since it was 51C in New Delhi the other day I'm not sure anything will help, but every little bit adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderMelon View Post
    Well, I just threw one on. Because I didn't want to run into heat issues. But I'd rather lose a tiny bit of run time and have everything cooler.
    You can still have heat issues with a fan and heat sink.

The best way to avoid heat issues is with a temp gun, and know what temp you are actually running at. 160*/f is the general temp you want to stay below. If you are right on the edge, a fan and heat sink help you to keep your temps below 160. If you are way above, then a fan and heat sink just give you a false sense of security and leave you scratching you head as to why your motor fried.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    You can still have heat issues with a fan and heat sink.

The best way to avoid heat issues is with a temp gun, and know what temp you are actually running at. 160*/f is the general temp you want to stay below. If you are right on the edge, a fan and heat sink help you to keep your temps below 160. If you are way above, then a fan and heat sink just give you a false sense of security and leave you scratching you head as to why your motor fried.
    After running geared 26/83 on 3s with speed runs, once I drove it home without the heatsink it read 170. Almost 180. Which is HOT HOT HOT! But ya know, that's the hottest it's ever been. I mean ONE other time I had my normal gears in(26/83) and if I remember correctly it was at like 190? That's with my super Swampers and 3s while bashing. But yes, I know heatsinks will help. But you need to make sure you're still under 160.

RC Competitor
    Intergy Heatsink, Installls with no mods, Just snap in and go.

Last edited by Mark H; 05-22-2016 at 11:58 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter1227 View Post
    So traxxas doesn't make any?
    Traxxas does make one for the Blast RTR boat that works decently well. It was a tight fit when I ran it on my velineon but worked great. Its not the biggest heatsink in the world but did enough that I could run a 76/35 gearing with proline trenchers and not have any issues. I did have a fan on the esc too which is more important imo.

Part number and link below.

TRA3822

http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Moto..._p/tra3822.htm

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Tiny heatsinks like all the ones I am seeing on here don't really do enough. I see best difference max of like 10 degrees f. I have a good cooling system, it is the 3800kv castle motor on an rpm aluminum plate, with a redcat heatsink http://www.rcplanet.com/Redcat_Racin...Xd4hoCHTrw_wcB That heatsink is huge and is for 1/10 36mm diameter can motors. Fits vxl. I also have a 40mm fan for that, and 40mm fans are CRAZY. They blow a lot more air then your standard 25mm fans that do little to nothing. It lowered my temps about 40f, huge difference that allows me to gear almost anything. I guess my point is that small heatsinks like those don't do as much as you think but I guess you can still get one if you want

RC Racer
    I put one of these on my lad's Rustler and it fits nicely, no fan though.

http://www.*********.com/*********/s...560_36mm_.html

RC poster
    Hey guys I am new to this forum as far a posting. I have been reading your posts for a long time though. The hot racing motor fan and heat sink will fit on the 2wd rustler as long as you turn the motor to a different angle and you need to set the fan and heat sink up a certain way. The one thing is that you need to keep checking every once in a while while bashing to see if it had fallen off or anything. I have a picture of it on my rustler VXL I just don't know how to put a picture up on this forum if anybody can help me out I can place a picture up there. Here is a link to a video on my youtube channel that shows the fan and heat sink fitting on rustler vxl with no shaving or sanding. https://youtu.be/bEMShZdPQbA

I took an integy heat sink and dremeled it in half. Now i have both pieces on my slash and rustler. Who knows how much of a difference it makes
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by NYbandit33 View Post
    I took an integy heat sink and dremeled it in half. Now i have both pieces on my slash and rustler. Who knows how much of a difference it makes

It's expectable to have a temp drop of somewhere between 10 / 15 degrees F but this is just an estimation, depending on the weather temperature and humidity, it can slightly affect those values, for my part, I prefer the use of the Basten heatsink, because it provide more surface and the air pass thru the thin strip, it's somewhat more efficient, also by it conception, it tend to accumulate less dirt and dust than the round Integy unit.

Also Integy made a replica of the Basten heatsink but it is less expensive.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

RC Racer
    Yeah Racing makes a heatsink like the Basten also https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yeah-Racing...MAAOSwNRdYBuDp. It even fits on 3650 size motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Igottabeme View Post
    Yeah Racing makes a heatsink like the Basten also https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yeah-Racing...MAAOSwNRdYBuDp. It even fits on 3650 size motor.

The one you mention is also highly recommendable but I like the Integy unit, just because they offer more colours choice. By the way, I have notice that like me you cover the motor rear bearing, which is a good thing but just for information, duct tape is a really good heat insulator and it tend to retain more heat in the bearing, which raise up motor temp, in the hope of avoiding this, it's better to used some thin aluminum tape, the one that we can use for clogged an automotive exhaust leak, it provide good heat evacuation and it's surprising how it could drop the motor temp, as well as increasing bearings life time and by removing the Velineon motor plastic cover, it's possible to gain up about another 10 degrees.

Also they are not too pricey... https://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?...8#.XKWFiVVKjIU
    Last edited by MECHANIC77; 04-04-2019 at 01:38 AM.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MECHANIC77 View Post
    The one you mention is also highly recommendable but I like the Integy unit, just because they offer more colours choice. By the way, I have notice that like me you cover the motor rear bearing, which is a good thing but just for information, duct tape is a really good heat insulator and it tend to retain more heat in the bearing, which raise up motor temp, in the hope of avoiding this, it's better to used some thin aluminum tape, the one that we can use for clogged an automotive exhaust leak, it provide good heat evacuation and it's surprising how it could drop the motor temp, as well as increasing bearings life time and by removing the Velineon motor plastic cover, it's possible to gain up about another 10 degrees.

Also they are not too pricey... https://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?...8#.XKWFiVVKjIU
    I have seen no difference in temp with the piece of Gorilla tape I used to cover the bearing hole but I usually just make use of smaller RPM stickers to cover the bearing hole. The pic is of a 3650 size motor a shorter motor than the VXL also no end cap just shows the heatsnk can be used on a shorter motor also. Yeah Racing has different colors also it's the same as the Integy the pic is red I have referenced blue because where I bought the red one the listing on Ebay is no longer there. The Basten is pricey when the Integy and Yeah Racing is the same thing for cheaper. Links should be used as reference not something you have to necessarily buy from the link you can find things cheaper just do your own search.