Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RC poster

Question Waterproof ESC works well even IN the water?

Hi, I'm new in rc hobby, I bought ERBE just weeks ago but I screwed it up.
    Just after my second run I think probably my ESC was fried. Model is 5608 comes with Castle creations mamba monster ESC and Castle Creations brushless motor. The time I fried my ESC in my mum's kitchen...no I mean in the park near my house, I accidentally ran it into a hole filled with water. After that it still run normally, but on my second run after passed few days, it suddenly loss signal and went straight to ****.
    My batteries on the transmitter and my E-REVO were fully charged. So why would my E-REVO just dead right in front of me in the sudden? I've emailed Traxxas and Castle Creations support team but only CC replied. They asked me to bypass the switch and I did tried already but it's not working. And it would spend a lot of time to ship the ESC to US and I live outside of it.
    Then now I'm thinking to buy a new ESC + motor combo, but don't know which one to go. And I wonder is it possible to do a water cooling system on the waterproof ESC so the temperature problem won't bother anymore? I mean probably use a sealed tank filled with liquid same as the computer cpu water coolers that kind of thing and apply it on the ESC. Could it be done? Or any ESC recommend for me? In my place its difficult for me to find a hobby store, and I need to go other city which I also not confirm they are selling Traxxas products or not. So I would like to get some advice and look for it online.

RC Champion
    Your asking whether an car ESC can be submerged? No. Castle Creations states that the MM2 ESC can't be submerged.
    Last edited by summitbasher240; 05-22-2016 at 10:45 PM.
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX

RC poster
    I owned the first mamba monster which come in Stock together the E-REVO. I mean is there any esc that could be operated while submerging in the water... I would love to try make one if it is not expensive. lol I feel boring already modifying my pc since I seldom play games now so it's pointless for keep on upgrading and doing some mod and such... I don't know if I'm unlucky or the product itself was meant to be fragile so d consumer will need to upgrade their parts... But I'm very interested in rc stuff.
    Back to the topic, you mean waterproof esc couldn't operate in the water, but what if some kind of electronic coolant?

RC poster
    Or what if I remove the heatsink then replace it with a method same as the cpu do which is water cooling system? But I don't know which chip on the esc board I need to deal with. And I wondered the heatsink could it be removed?

I'm pretty sure that there isn't an ESC out there from any manufacturer that can operate completely submerged in water. Are you trying to drive your RC car at the bottom of a river? As far as the liquid cooling goes, I've never seen that done either so you will be a pioneer in that aspect. I would imagine it will add a ton of weight as well as more power being drawn as you will need a pump to circulate the coolant. I can't imagine it would very efficient vs the weight it would add and the extra power it would draw.
    Last edited by C0BRAX; 05-23-2016 at 11:30 AM.
    Happy Motoring!

RC Qualifier
    Water cooling an RC car always reminds me of this childhood story.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwJQLn01WGA
    More weight = More load = More heat

Don't eat the fly, gear it for a slower top end.
    Last edited by Multirotor; 05-25-2016 at 04:54 PM.