RC Competitor

Pede wheels all locked up!

Where do I start? I don't want to rip the whole truck apart if someone here knows a good place to start searching for the problem... I ran my stampede through some mud awhile back and noticed that I started losing power pretty quickly after doing so. Then it flat out stopped moving. It will not roll forward or backwards freely at all. Something is locked up pretty bad. I can turn each wheel independently but with all 4 on the ground it will not budge. Any ideas on where I should start looking for the problem? Thank you.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    sounds like rust in bearings or the motor.....

at this point, you really need to tear it down and rebuild it, replacing parts as you find them damaged....

the electronics are water resistant, bearings are not

RC Racer
    I would start with the motor and loosen that off the spur gear and then try push it. If it moves, your motor is seized. Is it a brushed or brushless motor?

RC Competitor
    It is the VXL. Funny thing is that I have 6 of the 2 wheel drive pedes and I have never had anything like this happen. My kids and I have driven those things through everything including weighing them down so they could drive at the bottom of a creek. Never had this problem.

Like others have said, back the motor off so it is not touching the spur gear....see if it rolls. If it does the motor is the issue, if not I'd check the motor mount bearing.
    Rustler | MERV | Summit | Slash Ultimate | Slash

RC Competitor
    Ok. Thanks guys. I will start at the motor. Still, I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that this was the first time this Pede had really been bashed and it is all locked up while the others have been doing it for years with no issues. I got my first one 13 years ago and I can't even remember all of the times that I have put it through the same situation with no problems! :-)

Start at the slipper clutch bearing. It is probably locked up tight and possibly the bearing adapter is melted or shredded.
    The 4x4 is not as simple or forgiving of such use. More care and maintenance is required, especially of the slipper and other drivetrain components.
    Sounds like you need a boat, not a Pede.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Ha funny on the boat comment. What is more fun than bashing a Pede? I sure can't think of anything. Boats don't handle mud too well but Pedes sure are known for it.

RC Enthusiast
    I hate the clean up after the pede in the mud.

RC Competitor
    must be a 4x4 thing. Kinda makes me wish I would have bought a 7th 2 wheel drive pede.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Actually, from people I have talked to, they say that boats are more fun than cars.... and you don't have to clean it up afterwards.....

RC Competitor
    I would like a boat if I had water nearby.

All I've had a chance to do is pull the motor. It is locked up so I ordered a rebuild kit. The Pede still doesn't roll with ease so I will dig a little deeper soon.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-29-2016 at 08:29 AM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Start at the slipper clutch bearing. It is probably locked up tight and possibly the bearing adapter is melted or shredded.
    The 4x4 is not as simple or forgiving of such use. More care and maintenance is required, especially of the slipper and other drivetrain components.
    Sounds like you need a boat, not a Pede.
    More like a submarine...

Quote Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
    All I've had a chance to do is pull the motor. It is locked up so I ordered a rebuild kit. The Pede still doesn't roll with ease so I will dig a little deeper soon.
    If the issue was a motor bearing, then whether 4x4 or 2wd would not matter all that much, no?
    Also, motor bearings tend to be shielded, not sealed. I do not consider shielded RC bearings to be waterproof.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    Hello,

Sounds like bad bearings, if the pede still dosent roll smoothly when the engine is not engaged at the spur.

this happen to me after a mud run. fastest way to check is (disengage the motor from the spur) spin 1 tire at a time while holding your pede in the air.

example:

holding it up spin the rear passenger side tire, the rear driverside tire should spin the opposite direction, and the two front wheels should twitch (like preasure is building up in them, but the tranny slips before it spins them)

if it dosent spin, check the bearing. easiest way I found to check a bearing is to remove the hex nut on the axle, and the toe link on the axle carrier and flip it down so the axle slides out, than check the bearing by hand. (pushing on it with 1 finger and rotating it to check that it glides freely.)

- I fixed my bearings after I replaced them. to fix them, I assembled them in a carrier bearing with a axle stub, then put in a cup of distilled water, and worked the action for a few minutes. this dissolved the very thin sand/mud inside the bearings, and they are now in the spare parts bin.

I would inmagine, if your super lazy, you could put the truck in a tub od distilled water, and push it back and forth, or like you said they work underwater, put the motor back in and drive it with the bearing carriers submerged

when I tried to drive my truck before I knew the bearings seized, the rear wheels drove the truck with the 2 front tires locked lol

hope this helps and is not too confusing!
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    If the issue was a motor bearing, then whether 4x4 or 2wd would not matter all that much, no?
    Also, motor bearings tend to be shielded, not sealed. I do not consider shielded RC bearings to be waterproof.
    Right! But man I tell you what, today my boys ran 3 of our pedes and a rustler up and down the street through some nasty mud all day long. 5 batteries on each truck. They are all 2 wheel drive. One of them is 13 years old or so. Still running great (and rolling) :-) Might just be a fluke that this motor locked up in it's first mud bath. I did notice when taking the rear end apart from the chassis that there are a TON more areas for dirt and crap to get into the transmission on the 4x4. I believe that my problem started when mud got in there and things got heated enough to lock up the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by fourdub View Post
    Hello,

Sounds like bad bearings, if the pede still dosent roll smoothly when the engine is not engaged at the spur.

this happen to me after a mud run. fastest way to check is (disengage the motor from the spur) spin 1 tire at a time while holding your pede in the air.

example:

holding it up spin the rear passenger side tire, the rear driverside tire should spin the opposite direction, and the two front wheels should twitch (like preasure is building up in them, but the tranny slips before it spins them)

if it dosent spin, check the bearing. easiest way I found to check a bearing is to remove the hex nut on the axle, and the toe link on the axle carrier and flip it down so the axle slides out, than check the bearing by hand. (pushing on it with 1 finger and rotating it to check that it glides freely.)

- I fixed my bearings after I replaced them. to fix them, I assembled them in a carrier bearing with a axle stub, then put in a cup of distilled water, and worked the action for a few minutes. this dissolved the very thin sand/mud inside the bearings, and they are now in the spare parts bin.

I would inmagine, if your super lazy, you could put the truck in a tub od distilled water, and push it back and forth, or like you said they work underwater, put the motor back in and drive it with the bearing carriers submerged

when I tried to drive my truck before I knew the bearings seized, the rear wheels drove the truck with the 2 front tires locked lol

hope this helps and is not too confusing!
    not confusing. Thanks man. As a matter of fact, I decided to just replace all bearings (completely unnecessary but...) while I have the dang thing apart. Ordered them today. Once I have pulled them all out, I will see if any are in great shape. If so, I will not replace them. With my 4x4 Pede I plan to stay out of the mud in the future. i will let the other trucks get muddy! :-)
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-29-2016 at 08:30 AM. Reason: merge

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    some mud can be extremely fun for the pede specially 4x4s lol

check out what some people do as after run care.

I "normally" remove the tires and body and just hit it with a hose, not too high of pressure, this gets most of it out, than use a towel and a air compressor... blow an area dry, hit the screwheads with the towel, move to next area. you can use a dab of wd40 on a towel to hit the screws to keep the rust away, like the other guys said, try not to get to much wd-40(solvent) on plastic parts lol

mud is sometimes too fun to pass up, I have the outerwears cover on my pede, I get very little debris in the chassis. its super efficient, watch some of the reviews for the chassis dust cover thingies. Some people have 2-3 inches of mud/snow on top of the chassis dust cover and under the body, they wipe it off pull the cover and the tub is still clean. I haven't gotten that bad yet

that battery (traxxas 7600) doesn't fit in the battery tray of this chassis.... so its zip tied to the top of the battery tie down...so its kinda stretched...

its a great it even for dry land, just gotta remember to watch temps since it does restrict some airflow.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Competitor
    oh man now that is sweet!!!! I am going to do that for sure!.

Is that one made for the Stampede 4x4? They seem to be readily available for the slash but I can only find one for the pede on one website and it is blue. No biggie but I want to make sure that I get the one that fits best!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-29-2016 at 08:30 AM. Reason: merge