RC Racer

X-Maxx tires on an E-Maxx?

Considering I scoured the net and found nothing, I'm guessing it's not been done yet. I'm fixing to correct that. I know other big tires have been fitted to E-Maxxes in the past. But I'm tired of having more power than tire, I keep shredding the TSM-rated 6.3 tires just slogging through muddy ditches.

So here's what I'm starting with:

I got some 24mm adapter hexes that are machined to fit the axles:

The X-Maxx tires will be arriving from Amazon in a day or two, I will update with finished pictures when done. I shouldn't have any body clearance issues (I hope) and I've upgraded everything between the motor and the wheels to be as bulletproof as I can (except the diffs, I'll probably kill those soon). I've got RPM everything chassis-wise with Integy center braces.

I've also got temp sensors on the ESC, motor, both batteries and the center differential/transmission.
    Last edited by suburbazine; 05-24-2016 at 08:39 PM.

RC Qualifier
    it is sure doable. however imho it will only put lots of stress on the drivetrain due to the higher weight with all its consequences. in the end it will most probably become an expensive experiment. but who knows ... maybe the fun is worth the trouble.

bye
    rhylsadar
    Exercitatio artem paravit

RC Racer
    Heh, everything I've done so far has been expensive. Especially the top speed testing- "It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a flying E-Maxx!" 81mph was my highest recorded speed via GPS but I suspect it actually started flying around 85 or so. That was the most expensive experiment thus far haha, went about 8 feet up in the air from flat asphalt and landed upside down, slid for 200ish feet on the lid and came to rest in two halves.

RC Qualifier
    yeah. whatever floats your boat.
    i personally do not really see the point in doing speedruns with a monstertruck as there are so many other vehicles much better suited for such a thing. from my experience with the e maxx i would also stay far away from mounting big and heavy tires on that truck.
    however motiviations and tastes of rc people are extremely different. thus if you have fun doing it - just do it.
    Exercitatio artem paravit

Here is a link for upgrading the diffs.
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-8-scale-diffs!
    My RC Cycle:
    Build it, Drive it, Brake it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ausprime View Post
    Here is a link for upgrading the diffs.
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-8-scale-diffs!
    Excellent! I imagine I will be doing this in the near future.

RC Enthusiast
    lol ya think but it is a good mod for the maxx if you ask me just have to save up the funds to get it

RC Racer
    I've been waiting for this post to show up...looking forward to your results. The weight of the setup could prove to be an issue but it really depends on what kind of driving you do with it

RC Racer
    One of four (lol) is done, this turned into a lot of dremel work. Have to grind down (not completely off, though) the hub nubs on the wheel, and grind down a small amount of the outer wheel where the nut attaches. The outside is the hard part, it only needs to be wide enough for the nut but not so wide it severs the wheel support structure. I still feel pretty confident that this method of securing the wheel to the hub is much more stable than the tiny 17mm nut Traxxas uses. The hub shaft is also larger than the Traxxas version, so widening the hole in the wheel is needed to match (about 16mm).

One tire on:

The central support area of the wheel. The little ramps on the center part need the ends dremeled flat where the nut seats:

RC Racer
    Here's how I dremeled the outside of the wheel:

Inside:

Completed:

I weighed the final product- about 15lbs with 2x8400mah batteries.

Calibration weight (I used a drill case since the Maxx is bigger than the scale)

Weight with Maxx added:

Overall the bigger tires work pretty well, I can climb over just about anything and it doesn't get bogged down in deep grass. Top speed on pavement is out of the question, though, the E-maxx suspension can't control these tires at high RPM (not an issue in deep grass though). It doesn't seem to be hitting the ESC or motor too hard either- after about 10 minutes of moderate bashing on gravel piles and grass and construction debris, the temperatures were pretty low. Not having to flog it to climb up and jump big things might be a controlling factor, though. It may be a bit presumptuous, but I'm gonna call it the EX-Maxx

I'll see if I can get a video up later.

Last edited by suburbazine; 05-26-2016 at 07:03 PM.

RC Racer
    I don't like daisy-chain posting, but I guess the Edit button expires after a while. Here's a quick video of my one-handing the truck while holding the camera I did have to trim the front fenders a bit to clear the tires when turning since they get very close to the tray during suspension travel.

Last edited by suburbazine; 05-26-2016 at 08:42 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    looks like you been having funn and it paid off too now if it don't get hot and eat bats up fast you got it wooped

RC Racer
    Nice work! keep us updated on how the truck holds up

RC Racer
    I stripped a wheel nut today while bashing, seems like having 6 of 12 threads engaged was not enough (the X-maxx wheels are too thick). The Integy caps are pretty soft so I'm going to look for steel nuts to replace them with. The hub adapter itself is still holding up fine, though.

I got to blast it around in some 2-3 foot deep grass before it stripped; rather than getting stuck down on the ground it actually floats over big clumps with the bigger tires. The amount of torque I can put into action with the massive tires and 6S is pretty spectacular- I clearly never got the small tires to give me the truck's full potential. The steel driveshafts are getting a run for their money, though.
    Last edited by suburbazine; 05-27-2016 at 11:37 PM.

that's awesome. i was wondering how you planned on hacking these up to get them mounted. looks crazy too, kinda reminds me of the bigfoot with the tundra tires

and in case any searches this topic in the future, what gearing are you running with the xmaxx tires?
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

RC Racer
    I think my setup is a 16/70. I would have to count the spur to know for sure though.

RC poster
    I with you bro. I put 40 series mud slingers on some Dick cepek beadlock rims on my E-maxx. Now I just spent 130. On a bigger servo and find my self looking for a much better steering Bell crank lol but it's dam fun

RC Racer
    One month update:

I hate Integy parts. The hubs are made of a super soft metal, threaded M18x1mm (good luck finding wheel nuts, I found some carb nuts that work ok) and the axle nuts they provide strip out in a heartbeat. I've been plagued by the front wheels randomly falling off. I've been able to drive the truck all of 2 days in the past month due to having to source replacement parts for the Integy hubs...which have now stripped out around the axle pins.

That sucks, the curse of the buttery soft integy parts strikes again.

What size is the hex adapter? There may be better parts to be had.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    That sucks, the curse of the buttery soft integy parts strikes again.

What size is the hex adapter? There may be better parts to be had.
    The hex adapter is a 24mm hub on 18mm threads. It uses a solid buttery core (looks like a chrome plated solder slug, honestly) with threads on one side and an allen drive on the other to secure it on the axle shaft and prevent flex...supposedly.

I'm getting an X-maxx to solve the desire for size haha.
    Last edited by suburbazine; 07-26-2016 at 03:36 AM.

You should look into Losi wheels. My friend has (I think they're from a Losi Savage) Losi tires, and they're as big as my Xmaxx's tires. These (I think) Losi tires/rims will (I know) fit the Emaxx's stock 17mm adaptors. My friend uses them on his ERevo, but I myself like using Proline's Big Joe's or Thrashers for my Emaxx. Taped up, they're good for all kinds of speedy off road terrain conditions...I'm not one for using my off road monster truck on asphalt, either. Anyway, I'll ask my friend (the next time I see him) if what he has on his ERevo is truly from a Losi Savage.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.