Time to school the Noob......Spur problems.

Whats up guys,

I've been running my ERBE now on 4s ever since I've received it a few months back. A couple times I've used a pair of 3s 5000mah 65-130C Lipos and all was well and fine. Well the other day I was showing a buddy the 6s speed and all and later on that day when I got home, I ran it down the driveway and back and it started making that deadly "I need a spur gear sound". I swapped it out with another one I had and after about 30 mins of running, the spur gear went out in that one as well. I'm not doing anything ridiculous either. I was still running the 6s, but was just running through the yard occasionally and hitting a ramp I built a while back a few times. Nothing over dramatic. I changed that one and spent 15 mins making sure I had the best mesh I could get and broke that one too. I made a quick run to the hobby shop and bought 2 more just in case. Needless to say, I am on my last one. I know you can run 6s on a plastic spur and I know how to set mesh, or at least I think I do. I had absolutely no problems until I bumped up to 6s. I don't have any photos of the spur gears off hand since I'm at work. Is there something I should be looking for that might be broke or causing this issue outside of proper mesh? The gear looks like the pinion is just catching the edge of it. Could something in the chassis be flexing and causing the motor to pull away from the spur enough to grind it off? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
    If it ain't broke, run it faster, jump it higher!!

6s is a diff killer and slipper clutch burner if not set properly.

If you are going up to 6s, radusjt the slipper clutch to take that power, but veryfy first if your pads are not glazed from earlier use or damaged. Re-set by turning all the wayand then 1/4 to 1/2 anticlockwise.

It also dépends on what terrain, tyres you got on. I am using badlands and hear a lot that trenchers are great culprits on diffs on stock system and 6s use.

For a while I did not have problems with my truck as 6s was very occasional , howver I finally didi the lst2 diff mode and that is no longer an issue even when I give lots of abuse on her. I still have to fix my centre drive shaft a my modification did not hold out well.
    Live life to the fullest

I haven't had any diff issues thankfully. Like I said, I mainly run on 4s. Been trying to preserve my diffs as long as I can til I get the $$$ for the LST2 diff mod. I only ran the 6s a few times, but couldn't believe it ate up the spurs that fast. I did set my last one at almost 3/4 turn back to see if maybe the slipper was just too tight. It got late though and I couldn't run anymore last night. I usually run the Proline Shockwaves, but I just got a set of the SRC terrain crushers. That was another reason for the 6s runs. Wanted to test out the belted tires.

RC Qualifier
    The plastic spur gear can handle 6s. They use plastic spurs in the Xo1 with a (big block) doing a 100 mph. I would check the pinion gear. Make sure it's not going back and forth on the shaft. And check to make sure that your motor plate isn't bent. When your setting your gear mesh check it in a few spots.

I knew the plastic gear can handle speeds, but I'm thinking it's a mixture of the slipper being too tight with the off road usage and jumping it can't handle. I checked everything last night when I took it all apart. I didn't see anything bent and the pinion is secure. I'm not for sure. I was running a mix of asphalt and the backyard and a decent jump in there. Well I might get to test it out some mote this weekend. I stocked up on spur gears and will be running it hard this weekend to test it and some wheels I just got.

RC Enthusiast
    I'd have to vote with it being the mesh

Ive had motor bearings fail before causing a stripped spur. Check motor and tranny bearings.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

Quote Originally Posted by Cassar01 View Post
    I'd have to vote with it being the mesh
    I'm almost 99% sure it wasn't the mesh. It could have been, but I'm pretty sure it was just the slipper being too tight, the terrain and my driving. Lol. I've been setting mesh for years and have never had an issue. This is the first truck I have ran across such an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MaXXL View Post
    Ive had motor bearings fail before causing a stripped spur. Check motor and tranny bearings.
    I haven't checked that yet. I'll take a look into it. When you say motor bearings, are you talking internal?? I have yet to take a motor apart yet so I am a little unfamiliar with it.

RC Qualifier
    What are you tightening your motor adjustment Allen head with? Make sure and use a 90 degree Allen wrench and hammer it down hard. Try and find a spacer that fits between the back of the motor and the chassis.

You could also switch to Mod1 gears. You may need to dremil the motor mount slot some to gain mesh again with the smaller diameter mod1 pinions and spurs.

Upping the tooth count on both gears would give more of a contact patch. Like instead of 14/54 run 18/68

Quote Originally Posted by Multirotor View Post
    What are you tightening your motor adjustment Allen head with? Make sure and use a 90 degree Allen wrench and hammer it down hard. Try and find a spacer that fits between the back of the motor and the chassis.

You could also switch to Mod1 gears. You may need to dremil the motor mount slot some to gain mesh again with the smaller diameter mod1 pinions and spurs.

Upping the tooth count on both gears would give more of a contact patch. Like instead of 14/54 run 18/68
    Ok. Thats something I didn't think of. I might have to try that out too if I keep it up at 6s all the time. Whats a good gearing with mod1 for speed?? Only asking because I just bought some belted tires and wanted to see what she could do. Currently in the Mod.08 I'm running 18/54 gearing and it seems pretty quick. Haven't clocked it yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectroNoob View Post
    I haven't checked that yet. I'll take a look into it. When you say motor bearings, are you talking internal?? I have yet to take a motor apart yet so I am a little unfamiliar with it.
    In my case it was the bearings inside the motor that failed. There was obvious and excessive play when you wiggled the motor shaft that the pinion mounts to.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

Just to update, it was the motor moving on me. I wasn't getting it good and tight apparently. Went through another spur on 4s. I put a new one on and tightened it down a lot more than before and haven't had an issue yet. Didn't think it was something that simple, but thankfully it was. Thanks for the help guys.