RC Racer

Aton range mod video

I'm sure you've all probably seen this video, but I'm definitely impressed with his setup, adding the high db antenna with the integrated amp.

https://youtu.be/DLPQwcozOOA

The link to the video is posted above but it probably won't work right.

RC Racer
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/helista...B3phoCKrjw_wcB

Here's he link to an antenna I'm considering trying. I just want to maintain a stronger signal between the transmitter and Aton for telemetry and safety reasons. I'm not trying to fly it beyond line of sight or anything crazy. I simply don't trust a plastic transmitter with no external antenna that's already disconnected several times while I was flying at about 130 feet away. Since thats happened more than once, my confidence in signal strength has definitely been compromised. And yes, I'm "old school" (and not ashamed to admit that!) in the belief that having an external antenna is just smart design. Case in point, a few years ago when the new Linksys routers started coming out with internal antennas, I bought one. Yep, the performance and range was terrible! Then, I bought another model, no external antenna, with the same terrible range and connectivity issues... Fast forward to today. My new Linksys routers ALL HAVE EXTERNAL ANTENNAS.... GO FIGURE! My range and WiFi has never been better! Coincidence? Maybe? https://www.amainhobbies.com/helista...B3phoCKrjw_wcB

RC Racer
    BogSpores, I agree. I added an external antenna with the primary intent of reducing the random Loss of Signal return to home events I was experiencing, sometimes when flying as little as 100 feet away.

It might be a placebo effect but I believe it has accomplished that goal. That said, it hasn't eliminated them completely and I've found the transmitter also needs fresh batteries at all times to minimizing these events. So is it the external antenna or that I always use as fresh off batteries as possible in the transmitter.

Referring to another thread, while I would like to see more of a pro style transmitter available for the Aton, I'd rather have a more reliable transmitter/receiver communications link in the future.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by PRGeno View Post
    BogSpores, I agree. I added an external antenna with the primary intent of reducing the random Loss of Signal return to home events I was experiencing, sometimes when flying as little as 100 feet away.

It might be a placebo effect but I believe it has accomplished that goal. That said, it hasn't eliminated them completely and I've found the transmitter also needs fresh batteries at all times to minimizing these events. So is it the external antenna or that I always use as fresh off batteries as possible in the transmitter.

Referring to another thread, while I would like to see more of a pro style transmitter available for the Aton, I'd rather have a more reliable transmitter/receiver communications link in the future.
    Wow! I also started getting the "fresh battery" bug and have been replacing the batts in the transmitter after every 10 flights! I was thinking exactly like you and my random RTH glitches seem to have gone away. Yeah, it might be the placebo effect, but hey, bulk AAA's are cheap and I'm willing to pay for them as "insurance" to prevent a flyaway. ;-) Yep, like you said, I'd really like an optional QUALITY transmitter with higher db on the 2.4ghz just for the sake of solid telemetry and although I know the Bluetooth standard limits the power output, it would be cool to somehow increase that output as well. But we all know Bluetooth is limited, which makes me wonder why they chose to use it as the telemetry channel/link in the first place?

RC poster
    I agree - what use is all this great telemetry info coming in on Bluetooth when it's range is like 40' ???? All this info on the screen with the installed traxxas app.....ie - distance away, direction traveling etc ....but it is useless!!! We all know that from using our smartphones, that Bluetooth's range is pitiful. So Stupid!!!! This is a great drone but there are a few blaring, corner cutting, money saving, issues that must of been a hit with the bean counters but do nothing for the consumer. And Bluetooth aside, why does the transmitter not have an external antenna???? This is a must add on feature but why have to do it at all????
    And yes, I would also like to know if the Bluetooth range can be extended somehow.......are there separate internal antennas for the bluetooth signal?

RC Enthusiast
    A lot of times I just open the TX case and rotate the batteries for better connection.......

RC poster
    I agree, even the Bugs drones have that info on screen at any distance.

Let me start by saying in all due respects to fellow forum members this is my response to previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Graystar View Post
    I agree - what use is all this great telemetry info coming in on Bluetooth when it's range is like 40' ???? All this info on the screen with the installed traxxas app.....ie - distance away, direction traveling etc ....but it is useless!!! We all know that from using our smartphones, that Bluetooth's range is pitiful.... And yes, I would also like to know if the Bluetooth range can be extended somehow.......are there separate internal antennas for the bluetooth signal?
    Quote Originally Posted by BogSpores View Post
    I just want to maintain a stronger signal between the transmitter and Aton for telemetry... ...I know the Bluetooth standard limits the power output, it would be cool to somehow increase that output as well. But we all know Bluetooth is limited, which makes me wonder why they chose to use it as the telemetry channel/link in the first place?
    Wait a minute here, the bluetooth isnt communicating with the drone, it communicates with tx. Bluetooth on the tx is so your phone can interface/communicate with the radio system. Isnt telemetry gathered in rx then transmitted to tx, then the tx and phone communicate with each other? I know my bluetooth wont pick up wifes bluetooth if shes downstairs and Im outside at end of driveway. So theres no way im receiving telemetry from my Xmaxx through bluetooth when its almost out of site. hmmm Am I completely wrong on this???
    The point about the linksys antenna is not a good one because thats wifi on a router not bluetooth. In our home the wifi extender with 2 antennas has a weaker signal than the further non antenna router in back of house so I dont think thats a valid point, also todays TQi radios in the land rcs have a much better range than the antenna and crystal system I had in my nitro revo. Plus an antenna is just another thing to break.

One last point instead of bulk trip A batteries why not be good to our planet and buy the rechargeable 4 pack with charger from walmart?

For the short time Ive had it already I love it and dont like the negativity like pitiful, stupid, and corner cutting remarks we can do with out. State facts and leave it at that. If that dissatisfied with it then sell it.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 04-20-2018 at 08:17 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

I humbly admit I am so totally wrong on the bt. It does directly communicate with drone unlike the land based rc's bt module.

Im very impressed with the bt connection range. I wonder why I can establish and keep connection through bt on drone at decently great distance however my bt wont stay connected to speakers in backyard if I walk out front in to my street???

I installed the app and it connected just fine however it was saying altitude was 613 the whole time when it was sitting on the ground. I calibrated it but still reads wrong. How do you reset it?

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 04-29-2018 at 02:31 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...