RC Enthusiast

traction problems

I have the slayer pro and it don't get traction even with the tsm turned all the way up ive added the sway bar kit I changed the pistons to the number 3 piston variable piston with 45 weight oil in the rear and the number 2 piston with 40 weight in the front with the stock springs all the way around and the stock sct tires all the way around. the surface I run on is semi lose dirt with a few stones mixed in my question is should I use a softer tire compound all the way around or a harder compound tire with the double black springs in the rear?

Stock tires do okay but many people who run a Slayer, Slash or Slash 4x4 end up changing their tires with a lot better results. When I was considering a Slayer conversion years ago I was looking at the Losi Zombie-Max tires from the Ten-T but I don't think they are available anymore.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    I'm using the Slayden race setup, with a set of Trenchers on stock rims. Works well on hard clay with some loose sand on top. Good on gravel, just that the right size rock can wedge between the wheel & hub causing that corner to lock up. After you have to pull a wheel off a few times to remove the rock, ya find another spot to play, cuz it won't quit doing it til ya move! Oh yeah, I'm running a tooth larger clutch bell & an old Trinity blue pipe with the stinger restricted installed, 30% Byron's .
    Last edited by Double G; 05-29-2016 at 07:12 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    ive got a set of proline bead lock rims there for the slash but im trying to figure out how I can mount them on the slayer pro so id really like to use proline tires yeah the trenchers are a great tire I have set on associated sc10 4x4. yeah I use the odonnell 20% high performance fuel I been thinking about stepping up my clutch bell to a 17 tooth or more maybe that will help with my traction problem?

RC Enthusiast
    I had a problem with donuts when I gunned it from a DS so I modded the tire and now it shoots out like an arrow just barely lifting the front tires off the ground, kind of like a dragster leaving the line, but it's dirt/grass only, can't run on the roads

RC Enthusiast
    dude man what is that thing it looks home made I see traxxas parts associated parts and losi parts the shock mounts are home made and your roll cage is just copper tubing solidered together. and I don't even know the last time you gave the frankin truck a really good cleaning your shock towers need to be painted your roll cage needs to be straightend and sanded then painted or chromed then what you should do is take off all your electronics and the motor then find a big wash tub frill it full of nitro wash and just start cleaning it with a paint brush and a tooth brush then spend 6 or 7 hours cleaning it. bro im sorry im not trying to get on you or anything but all I can say holy wow I couldn't handle any rc of mine that dirty all mine get cleaned after every race or bashing after mine are cleaned then the bodys get waxed

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdoc427 View Post
    dude man what is that thing it looks home made I see traxxas parts associated parts and losi parts the shock mounts are home made and your roll cage is just copper tubing solidered together. and I don't even know the last time you gave the frankin truck a really good cleaning your shock towers need to be painted your roll cage needs to be straightend and sanded then painted or chromed then what you should do is take off all your electronics and the motor then find a big wash tub frill it full of nitro wash and just start cleaning it with a paint brush and a tooth brush then spend 6 or 7 hours cleaning it. bro im sorry im not trying to get on you or anything but all I can say holy wow I couldn't handle any rc of mine that dirty all mine get cleaned after every race or bashing after mine are cleaned then the bodys get waxed
    mines 10x worse then that man. probably best I don't post a pic of mine. I clean mine once and a while and id say I reach the level of Tappe's vech above. I for one think that your a bit OCD on the clean factor. but that's your thing. I would think im much like Tappe and more of a function over looks kinda guy.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris400 View Post
    mines 10x worse then that man. probably best I don't post a pic of mine. I clean mine once and a while and id say I reach the level of Tappe's vech above. I for one think that your a bit OCD on the clean factor. but that's your thing. I would think im much like Tappe and more of a function over looks kinda guy.
    LOL, rcdoc this truck (7yr old 2.5 Rustler) it's not built and designed to look nice and proper, it's built to run hard, flip, bash and it has no traction problem.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdoc427 View Post
    ROF for about 5mins, thanks for the laugh doc!
    Last edited by Double G; 02-22-2019 at 08:39 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    just a quick up date on my slayer pro with the traction problems i have done a complete upgrade on the truck nothing on it is traxxas anymore i went with the LRP .32 non pull start motor and over 1200 dollars worth of hot racing upgrades and i also bought a dx4c radio and took care of all the traction problems just by swapping radios see i found out that the stock traxxas radio with the tsm only controls the steering now with dx4c i can control everything