Thread: Battery q

RC Enthusiast

Cool Battery q

Soo I think I have seen my last run on my venom 5000 mah 2 cell 40c lipos looking to get a new set of battery's what's a good set to buy I heard it's not good to have the removable leads on a battery thanks for all the help

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukefoot View Post
    Soo I think I have seen my last run on my venom 5000 mah 2 cell 40c lipos looking to get a new set of battery's what's a good set to buy I heard it's not good to have the removable leads on a battery thanks for all the help
    It's not bad to have universal leads on a battery. Venom has two different types of universal connector, though. New stuff has gold plated terminals and old stuff has aluminum terminals. The aluminum ones had oxidation problems which led to heat and poor connectivity.

I personally do NOT like the Venom Traxxas adapter. It's really hard to connect/disconnect and has lower connection quality than an actual Traxxas connector.

The Traxxas batteries have the nice Traxxas iD connection but requires a balance adapter or iD charger. I'm running 8400mah Traxxas 3S batteries in my Maxx and so far they have 20 or so cycles of great performance. You could probably fit 10000mah 2S packs if you go the velcro route. Either size has plenty of power output for a brushless E-maxx- the 10K 2S has 250A continuous and 500A burst, while the 8400 has 210A and 420A, respectively. The continuous output (C) of either pack is more than sufficient to drive a Mamba based ESC (120A max capacity).

FYI, the burst numbers I mentioned above are not Traxxas canon, since Traxxas does not supply burst C ratings for their batteries. It's more of a generalization of a standard double-rate burst that is common amongst most LiPo batteries.

Also, what type of charger are you using? If you're saying your Venoms are shot, what does your balance charger indicate the per-cell state is? If you don't have a voltage display capable balance charger, you should very much consider getting one.
    Last edited by suburbazine; 05-31-2016 at 11:34 PM.

RC Racer
    Get SPC batteries, price and punch are excellent. I run a 2s and a 3s which provides perfect power.

RC Enthusiast
    I have had a good experience with Traxxas, Duratrax and Dynamite lipo packs.

The reason people advise against the removable leads is because they can become dirty or damaged and potentially cause the battery to short out.

RC Enthusiast
    I use traxxas 2 cell 5800 mah / 3 cell 4000 mah and venom 3 cell 5000 50c in all of my rc's. To fix the hard to plug in and out with the venoms, I lightly file down a little of the connector plug just above the brass tabs. Don't do to much though, little at a time, it doesn't take much, and works just as easy as a traxxas battery. Venoms warranty is awesome, better than traxxas, just write down the serial # before it wears out, they will still warranty it with an unused serial # even well after a year. Traxxas batteries are ok too, really like the 5800 mah 2 cell, max fit for my bandit VXL and works great with my Emaxx VXL also. Only bummer I've been having lately with traxxas batteries is this new design, I hate it. I have had so many of these newer style swell up on me, it's driving nuts. Rarely had this problem with the older traxxas battery style, still have a few too. In the past 7 months I have had 4 2cell 5800 mah and 2 3cell 4000 mah new traxxas batteries swell on me, bad enough they almost busted the freaking battery hold downs. Not happy about that and coin tossing if I wish to continue using traxxas batteries. But dang it, I really like the 2 cell 5800 mah ones and no one else makes them. errrr.