RC Qualifier

A downgraded upgrade....What are your thoughts....

Been thinking for awhile now that I want to upgrade to higher revving motor. Sooooooooo I have been entertaining the idea of moving to a 2.5 or possibly and 2.1, to get the higher revs, but my concern is; am I stuck using the IPS shaft? or can i use other shafts?

Was thinking of a Novarossi Super Charged .15, seems to have decent power, and higher rpm range. The jato is light, so i don't imagine this motor will have any problem moving the jato, though i know the stock gearing might have to be changed to accommodate the smaller displacement engine.

Any thoughts?
    PS. currently running in my a Jato, a 3.3 with THS pipe, Motor Savers Air Filter, 3.4 Carb, and LC3 plug running 20% Nitro.

Additionally I was thinking about purchasing another RB3.7, but at that cost i'd rather buy an OS TM and call it a day.
    I also want to move to running 30% Gen 2 Bryon Nitro Fuel.

I run a modded 2.5 with a losi carb. I like it alot over the 3.3. With the 3.3, had a really hard time keeping the front end on the ground. I can bump wheelie with the 2.5, but straight out on the road it stays down. I would have to look at the gearing, don't remember off the top of my head. A jato with a 3.3 will beat it off the line, but I can catch, and pass them on the top end. I don't mind wheelies, but I like to be able to do them when I want, not just anytime. Suspension settings will change all of that alot. I tend to run mine softer to avoid wheelies. So it is kind of up to you, and what you want. I would try to stay away from the super charger thought, I think it will be more problems, than a help.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC Competitor
    IMHO every supercharged rc I have ever seen or heard of has had issues or shorter life span. All it does is lean the motor out so it feels like a lot of power but in the end It shortens the engines life. I have always run the 3.3 engines in my trucks and have had some good and some bad, every used 3.3 I have owned has turned out for the worst, the ones I've broken in myself have all been pretty good. I think a 3.3 should only be run in the rustler, jato or other 2wd trucks, but should steer away from any 4wd rc such as the revo, Tmaxx etc. my only issue with the 3.3 has been the rods. They split in the middle after a few gallons. After about 3-4 gallons I rebuild. Never had issues if I did that.

RC Competitor
    Sorry op at the time i didn't realize you were talking about the "supercharged" novarossi engine. Technically this motor doesn't have an actual supercharger. I thought you were talking about supercharging an engine lol. You might like that engine nova makes some good stuff. I would stay away from adding n actual supercharger onto a nitro engine.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by westoakmech View Post
    I run a modded 2.5 with a losi carb. I like it alot over the 3.3. With the 3.3, had a really hard time keeping the front end on the ground. I can bump wheelie with the 2.5, but straight out on the road it stays down. I would have to look at the gearing, don't remember off the top of my head. A jato with a 3.3 will beat it off the line, but I can catch, and pass them on the top end. I don't mind wheelies, but I like to be able to do them when I want, not just anytime. Suspension settings will change all of that alot. I tend to run mine softer to avoid wheelies. So it is kind of up to you, and what you want. I would try to stay away from the super charger thought, I think it will be more problems, than a help.
    It's not "super charged " it's na. It's what novarossi calls their "super charged" engine but it's not really actually super charged. I just went with it because of weight savings, and comparable horsepower to the 3.3, but with a higher practical rpm range.