RC Racer

Chewed up rear diff spider gears. Stock fine?

I recently replaced the pinion in my ERBE because it stripped the teeth right off. Put it back together and then magically had only front wheel drive. Couldn't figure out why the rear diff wasn't working like it should, pinion and ring looked fine, but then I checked out the spiders. Missing about half the teeth on the two spider gears, output gears are fine.

Going to replace with stock as they are locally available, but if this is a common thing, what are my options for harder gears? I've read about this company across the pond, but it was like $300 for upgrades to both diffs, and that was more than I paid for the truck.

Have RR hardened steel pinion and spur, Traxxas metal shafts everywhere, unsure about the transmission gears, but don't know if they even make hardened and/or steel gears for those. I run 6s, but conservatively and need to get a Castle Link to dial down the punch. I would rather run 4s, but will run 6s until I can find some decent 2s batteries.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ttThree View Post
    Since you eliminated the weakspots such as the stock axles and spur, another component will take the hit instead. I have been told that if the slipper is set right and if you have good throttle control you will not damage the stock driveline. Breaking a teeth of hardened steel pinion indicates that you squeeze the trigger too much and have too tight slipper. Even if you get hardened steel gears for the differential, then something else might break.
    The reason I think why the teeth on the pinion broke was because the set screw was loose. I'm really not all that hard on the trigger, but you're right, it's pretty easy to really run and gun. I need to turn down the punch