Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I wonder if a capacitor pack would help the ESC...not sure that is the issue but it could help smooth out the voltage input. I'm just thinking out loud.

If you're local hobby store doesn't know anything about the update, I would walk away from that hobby shop forever because that tells me they care more about selling stuff than learning about their products and customer support.
    "RED"

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    I wonder if a capacitor pack would help the ESC...not sure that is the issue but it could help smooth out the voltage input. I'm just thinking out loud.

If you're local hobby store doesn't know anything about the update, I would walk away from that hobby shop forever because that tells me they care more about selling stuff than learning about their products and customer support.
    Well that's harsh.

This new recall is only less than 2 weeks old! This is not the fusible link recall...this is a new one. How do you know every hobby shop received the update email/call on the recall? How do you know if every hobby shop received the update tool on the recall? What if your hobby shop thought the fusible link was the last wave in the esc update so they're not expecting a recall? What if you've been going to that hobby shop for 5+ years and you've built a common rc friendship with the owner and He doesn't know anything about the recall.... so you're telling me to abandon him??? that's clearly what this thread is turning to.

AS OF NOW...You have to understand not every hobby shop is going to automatically have that tool and NOT EVERY HOBBY SHOP IS PATROLLING THE TRAXXAS FORUMS for updates. Traxxas products isn't the only products they sell.
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 06-07-2016 at 10:49 PM.
    We are all one race. The human race.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Well 2 peeps say they dont notice much of a difference, and wolf says a very small difference. So 3 out of 3 that actually have experience with the firmware update are basically saying it's not an issue. Seems like a good thing so far. Hope that the string of reports continues on a positive note. I have been waiting to buy an x till this esc issue has been worked out. I think I can live with some torque limiting to keep my family and property safe. Time to start pumping cash into the rc account again....
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Must be embarrassing for hobbyshops and dealers to be updated about this by the general public who know more than they do.

Surely traxxas should have the tools sent to the dealers first throughout the world so they know what's going on then inform us to contact your nearest dealer who will be able to update your firmware.

We should be the last to know,to tell people there's an update but you can't have it is bad PR.
    I'm from rip off Britain

RC poster
    Brand new here with a brand new X Maxx. Got it Tuesday. Is there a production date that i can look at to see if i need the firmware update?

Quote Originally Posted by Pgoofman View Post
    Brand new here with a brand new X Maxx. Got it Tuesday. Is there a production date that i can look at to see if i need the firmware update?
    Call Customer Service and provide the serial number as well as the date of purchase and see what they have to say.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Pgoofman, look at https://youtu.be/3NU-THIS3NU.

RC poster
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Called my local shop - they don't have the firmware update tool - hoping they will have one. It would be nice to drop by locally to get the update vs send it away... obviously.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Called my local shop - they don't have the firmware update tool - hoping they will have one. It would be nice to drop by locally to get the update vs send it away... obviously.
    I would replace the esc and no more worries
    Fortenwinkler

RC poster
    The you tube video helped. Mine has all the latest and greatest updates. Thanks again

For future reference for new comers to this thread and recall, this link off the Traxxas site will help:

"Identify Your Electronic Speed Control:

To identify if your electronic speed control is affected, enter the serial number from the ESC in the identifier below. The serial number is found on the bottom of the Velineon VXL-6s electronic speed control. If your electronic speed control is affected, select one of the remedy options below."

You can Enter your serial to find out here:

https://traxxas.com/support/repair-exchange/20160115

Hope that helps.
    Cheers!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    For future reference for new comers to this thread and recall, this link off the Traxxas site will help:

"Identify Your Electronic Speed Control:

To identify if your electronic speed control is affected, enter the serial number from the ESC in the identifier below. The serial number is found on the bottom of the Velineon VXL-6s electronic speed control. If your electronic speed control is affected, select one of the remedy options below."

You can Enter your serial to find out here:

https://traxxas.com/support/repair-exchange/20160115

Hope that helps.
    Cheers!
    It is a lot easier to find the serial number this way if you own an X-Maxx:

I went to the hobby shop and had them upgrade my firmware. Was the first one in town to have it done at the shop. It does not feel any slower to me. I will put my GPS on it one of these days to see what the top speed is.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

So, what is the chance of getting an outdated ESC if you buy an X-Maxx now? I'm asking because I'm planning to buy one now, and there's no LHS here that will have the update tool and there's no way for me to send/receive the ESC to/from Traxxas. So, I don't want to have a $1k paper weight.
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Qualifier
    That's a good question Daniel. Here in the USA we have large hobby stores that sell tons of RC vehicles so you can be pretty confident your getting the latest build from Traxxas. I have no idea what's available in your area of the world. I myself use Tower Hobbies which is an internet giant. I just got one from them and the X maxxx they sent me has all the latest goodies. Are you willing to have it shipped from the USA?

RC poster
    So my truck doesn't have the update and while I was running it yesterday i ran into a problem. Tried to accelerate and heard a whining noise so I turn it off and brought it home. Opened it up to find my spur gear was ground down. Would this be part of the reason for the firmware update? Metal on plastic is never a good combination but never-the-less.. truck is 3 months old and not a ton of hard bashing...

Nope, not part of the update. Most companies use a plastic gear as an inexpensive "fail point". I would rather break a 4$ spur gear than blow the transmission or something expensive within the driveline.
    "RED"

Quote Originally Posted by ebeez View Post
    So my truck doesn't have the update and while I was running it yesterday i ran into a problem. Tried to accelerate and heard a whining noise so I turn it off and brought it home. Opened it up to find my spur gear was ground down. Would this be part of the reason for the firmware update? Metal on plastic is never a good combination but never-the-less.. truck is 3 months old and not a ton of hard bashing...
    That wouldn't have anything to do with the update, that's just a spur gear failure. IMO, I'd rather have plastic on metal compared to metal on metal, it's just less noise and things to worry about; granted that the mesh, and everything else is in good shape.

Well guys, I updated mine yesterday too. Still no fuse-able link, but i really didn't notice a difference on my X-Maxx... I"ll keep running it, and we'll see what happens.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

Quote Originally Posted by 06redssr View Post
    Are you willing to have it shipped from the USA?
    Of course! Like my previous 60ish trucks from Traxxas... Not that expensive to ship it, $136 with tracking, and I have a $40 coupon code, so, less than $100... Local taxes are another story...

Last edited by danielhr77; 06-13-2016 at 04:18 PM.
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Competitor
    My lHS has the tool to upgrade the esc, But not sure I want to, He told me it will shut down the esc earlier if it has too much heat than it did before? can anyone confirm this? I have one of the first batches of the X Maxxs issued, and I have not had one issue with the esc at all.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Of course! Like my previous 60ish trucks from Traxxas... Not that expensive to ship it, $136 with tracking, and I have a $40 coupon code, so, less than $100... Local taxes are another story...

For that much wouldn't buying another brand ESC be a better option?

RC Competitor
    I can confirm the updated firmware adds punch control. Sometimes mid-air corrections don't go as planned, but overall the truck isn't slower by any means. Mine is still doing 42+mph on 18/54 with everything stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 06redssr View Post
    Just got a new X-Maxx from Tower Hobbies today. The Fusible Link and latest ESC Firmware is installed. I guess I lucked out.
    Really, so you don't have to update your ESC? I got XMAXX on May 2016. I guess I don't have to update ESC. When I push backward throttle slowly and it XMAXX moved backward very quickly and hit my furniture in my bedroom then I tried again, it hits my leg. Thud!! LOL Also forward is fast and quick respond. I think my ESC has latest updated.

RC Qualifier
    jdpasl, look at the following video to see if you have the latest ESC updates: https://youtu.be/3NU-THIS3NU

RC Racer
    Somehow lost my fusible link in the sea of packages I get and try to hide from my wife, , hoping Traxxas support will be able to send me another one! Sent an email to them today.
    My LHS said they won't do the firmware update without the link installed. Luckily no issues so far (purchased in Dec) but my 13 yr old drives it too so better safe at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    My lHS has the tool to upgrade the esc, But not sure I want to, He told me it will shut down the esc earlier if it has too much heat than it did before? can anyone confirm this? I have one of the first batches of the X Maxxs issued, and I have not had one issue with the esc at all.
    To be honest, I don't, and I"m not sure really only here but Traxxas knows what the update really changes. I can't say for sure, but I doubt it they changed the shut off temp.

RC Qualifier
    I was not able to make a video yet, but I took the following pictures right after the passes. I ran five 75 ft passes before this run, starting with fresh batteries:

About three passes later I ran this in a distance of 125 ft (measured with my measuring wheel):

I took the truck to a grassy field and ran for about five minutes around the place at full throttle and the ESC went into thermal cutoff. The truck would flip onto its roof and then over to the tires with full throttle in the grass. I did not have the Link app running so I cannot tell you what temperatures it hit. The ESC and motor were definitely warm to the touch.

I was trying to see how short of a distance I could hit max speed in, but on concrete the truck would go into a full blown flip onto the roof if I gave it full throttle from a stop. I had to roll into the throttle and I think the fastest I hit was 26 mph in 75 feet. I do not see a power loss after the ESC firmware update. All of these runs were made using Traxxas 5000 MAH batteries with stock everything other than the addition of telemetry.

The bottom line, is install the bridge wire and have the ESC updated.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

Quote Originally Posted by Demoknight View Post
    I can confirm the updated firmware adds punch control. Sometimes mid-air corrections don't go as planned, but overall the truck isn't slower by any means. Mine is still doing 42+mph on 18/54 with everything stock.
    Can you elaborate on the change of mid-air corrections? My maxx spends most of it's life high in the sky and mid air corrections are vital to it's survival.
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

I suppose I'll hit up the local shops to see if anyone has the programmer yet. No need in wasting more time worrying about what might have been and start worrying about what might will be - hehe

This truck needs a programmable ESC!!! Traxxas, make it happen! I want the ability to dial up or down any features I desire, just like the MXL-6S (and all other subsequent castle products).
    "RED"

RC Competitor
    I got tired of it going to auto shut down and I order a max6 esc.love the truck but traxxas esc is not strong for the size of the truck.thats my only problem with the truck.o the seconed thing I broke was the rear diff other then that alsome truck.....

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    I suppose I'll hit up the local shops to see if anyone has the programmer yet. No need in wasting more time worrying about what might have been and start worrying about what might will be - hehe

This truck needs a programmable ESC!!! Traxxas, make it happen! I want the ability to dial up or down any features I desire, just like the MXL-6S (and all other subsequent castle products).

I have the traxxas app, lots of adjustability, works for me.

RC Competitor
    I had my esc firmware updated today. LHS did it in about 30 seconds. Took it out, didn't really notice any difference, Maybe a little tamer off the line, but that could just be my imagination, then I proceeded to bust a front shock lol, I have a spare shock , but I lost the spring,, oh well LHS should have it by next week. Still haven't done the fuseable link. At this point don't think I have to. It's been working fine.

RC poster
    Please help
    Got my Update today and now it is Slow in forward and makes wheely in Reverse ??? Any answers
    Thx

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevycc View Post
    Please help
    Got my Update today and now it is Slow in forward and makes wheely in Reverse ??? Any answers
    Thx
    Maybe it's in training mode..
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

Quote Originally Posted by Chevycc View Post
    Please help
    Thx
    Welcome to the forums!

Make sure and check that the voltage/temperature sensor is plugged in correctly into the receiver. The temp sensor is on the motor, and the ESC watches the motor's temp through the sensor. If the motor gets too hot, it will limit forward power. When it's unplugged, the ESC goes into a fail safe limiting forward power, but not reverse because it can't see the motor's temp.

Hope this helps!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    Can you elaborate on the change of mid-air corrections? My maxx spends most of it's life high in the sky and mid air corrections are vital to it's survival.
    Sorry with the super late reply. I haven't been watching this topic anymore. There is major punch control on the updated ESC. I have to anticipate, rather than react, that my truck might nose down in a jump and hit throttle sooner than I would on my other trucks. I can hammer it to WOT from zero in the air, and if it is a small jump the wheels don't get to speed until it is already starting to lawn dart. Basically, all the power is there because it still easily flips on its lid and wheelies all day, but there is a throttle curve that I am guessing helps keep temps and current draw manageable. It is still a pleasure on the ground and in the air because it is already so beginner friendly and stable, but I had to get used to it.

thanks Demo!
    I've decided not to update my ESC and i'll just be relying on the fusible link. I've had nothing but good luck with my truck since I got it so i'll leave it be.
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    thanks Demo!
    I've decided not to update my ESC and i'll just be relying on the fusible link. I've had nothing but good luck with my truck since I got it so i'll leave it be.
    rizz0d prehaps you should post a final post in this thread ;-) if he doesnt, hint: he ran out of luck.

RC Racer
    OK, I just got my X-Maxx a week ago, do I need to worry if this recall has been done or not?

I'm guessing all of the stock in the LHS's have been corrected a long time ago....or is that just wishful thinking?

When you turn off ESC does it blink red twice then it's OK.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast