Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New X-Maxx Recall Info/Update

Hey guys, Traxxas finally released more info about the X-Maxx ESC recall. I got an email taking about a lot of this info, as I assume most of you guys have too. It looks like they're wanting us to update the ESC's firmware with a new "firmware update tool". We received our updating tool at my LHS yesterday, but I havn't updated mine, yet. I've known about this for a month or so, but it's just now going public from what I'm seeing. I'm expecting Traxxas to come out and release more info here shortly, and if so, I'll try to update this. If any more info is needed or, found, please feel free to edit or add as needed.

This is the info I could find by Googling the recall...

As you may know, Traxxas has issued a voluntary recall of the VXL-6s electronic speed control that is installed in the X-Maxx, Model 77076-4, and also sold separately (part #3365).
    The recall is a repair recall for the VXL-6s ESC, and it consists of two parts: (1) a fusible wire link that replaces the standard bridge wire on the ESC, and (2) a firmware update for the ESC. In addition to being a safety improvement, the firmware update also improves the reliability and performance of the ESC to provide a better driving experience for the customer.

We are asking our dealers to help us with providing the firmware update to our customers as part of the recall. For our customers’ convenience, we are directing them to take their X-Maxx or ESC back to the store from which it was originally purchased to receive the update. The videos below demonstrate how to perform the required updates on the ESC in an affected truck, as well as how to identify whether or not the ESC has been updated

Recall notice info..

https://youtu.be/3NU-THIS3NU

How the update the ESC...

https://youtu.be/0crVQ4iUpMs
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 06-03-2016 at 01:31 PM.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

My concern is, does it reduce power output and slow the truck down?
    "RED"

I've known about this for a while too. I just didn't have the heart to tell you guys, and I knew you'd all find out about it sooner or later. My understanding (from talking to my LHS) is yes. From talking to my friends that work at the store (who all got their ESC's firmware upgraded), they say their trucks' punch control has been increased.

This makes sense when you think about it, because our trucks pull most of their current on startups and startups while climbing. I'm not going to have mine done, because I use my old setup on one of my smaller Traxxas trucks.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-03-2016 at 03:47 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    I'm not sure yet. My coworker is going to update his X-Maxx's ESC with the new firmware along with the fuse-able link; and we're going to compare it to my X-Maxx, which doesn't have the fuse-able link, running the original firmware from Traxxas.

I'll post up if there's any ESC/temp, run time, or power difference. Time will tell.

RC poster
    So if my esc came with the fusible link does that mean I already have the updated firmware?

Never had a problem with the 3s esc for years. Just put out a new one that is up to power of the xmaxx.
    Last edited by Nitro Chicken; 06-08-2016 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Edited for language

RC Racer
    maybe go with a different esc
    Fortenwinkler

RC Enthusiast
    No the fuse able link was temporary. Mine has the updated link with the red warning tag but the esc needs a firmware update. Easy way to check. Connect both batteries and turn on the esc. Turn it off again and if it goes straight from green to off then it needs the firmware update. If it flashes twice red after power off then all ok.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0crVQ4iUpMs&sns=em
    Last edited by rakeboy; 06-03-2016 at 05:11 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    Just got an email from Towerhobbies about the recall and it says "the fusible link does not alter the intended performance and speed of the x-maxx in any way"

doesn't say anything about the firmware. hmmm
    We are all one race. The human race.

I have heard other wise regarding the fuse like and power output...I think this ESC needs to go back to the drawing boards. Too many folks have had issued for it to be a legit component.

But I will say this, Traxxas has finally pushed a firmware update to an esc..never seen that before! Future looks bright!

For what it is worth, I am still running stock everything with the fuse link as it came out of the box and I haven't had any issues...but that is only mine. I'm not talking generally, specifically mine.

I hope someone finds a way to look at the firmware (before and after) to determine what values have been altered...for curiosity sake of course.
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 06-03-2016 at 07:07 PM.
    "RED"

RC Racer
    Got my firmware upgrade last week and all other updates, and it's been a wild ride getting used to the changes, sometimes I can wheelie and other times not at all, getting a new sensor harness from Traxxas so I can monitor my voltage properly, it never worked from the beginning so I have been running LVD, which I found is not a good thing. My link is working again. Can I go bash now!!!

You're suppose to be running LVD...why is it not a good thing to be running it?
    "RED"

thanks for the update Wolf! how much longer until you can update us on those shock shafts you're running?

this ESC situation is starting to remind me of a situation with a certain 1:1 car. in stock form, people were breaking transmission output shafts (from repeated hard launches) which were then repaired under warranty. to prevent this they had customers bring their car in to have the them "reprogrammed" with new software. owners started noticing their car didn't seem to accelerate like it used to. the "fix" with the new software was to limit power delivery during hard acceleration to save the transmission output shaft.
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

Like I said above, all my friends say that they don't have the same punch with the new update installed on their ESC's. I'm glad I went with the Viper inspired Kershaw mod right from the beginning...no headaches...no problems.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Enthusiast
    Anyone have any idea what they will do for people that don't have a LHS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    Anyone have any idea what they will do for people that don't have a LHS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Send it to traxxas.

thanks for the update Wolf! how much longer until you can update us on those shock shafts you're running?

this ESC situation is starting to remind me of a situation with a certain 1:1 car. in stock form, people were breaking transmission output shafts (from repeated hard launches) which were then repaired under warranty. to prevent this they had customers bring their car in to have the them "reprogrammed" with new software. owners started noticing their car didn't seem to accelerate like it used to. the "fix" with the new software was to limit power delivery during hard acceleration to save the transmission output shaft.
    No problem! Glad I can help! I'm not quite sure what you're talking about...

From what I've seen on a few updated X-Maxxs, is it does seem it delay the throttle on launches. They can still wheelie, and everything seems the same, but it does seem to have slightly less overall punch on full throttle use...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    No problem! Glad I can help! I'm not quite sure what you're talking about...

From what I've seen on a few updated X-Maxxs, is it does seem it delay the throttle on launches. They can still wheelie, and everything seems the same, but it does seem to have slightly less overall punch on full throttle use...
    How does this affect the truck on flat tarmac acceleration and flat grass acceleration?

Can this upgrade be performed by the user himself using the bluetooth module for the transmitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you're talking about...
    lol, that's what i figured.
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

Can customers do the firmware update themselves, without having to ship ESC to Traxxas?

It would appear there is a module required to update the firmware and I would imagine that module would only be sent to licensed dealers...not sure why though. It does make sense to have it update via the Traxxas app.
    "RED"

RC Enthusiast
    I heard that the ESC firmware is available to update via Traxxas app, or is it just the telemetry firmware?

RC Qualifier
    My LHS (large national company) had no idea about this Saturday evening when I went to check on it. Just an FYI.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAP1 View Post
    I heard that the ESC firmware is available to update via Traxxas app, or is it just the telemetry firmware?
    Watching the youtube clips,an Xmaxx owner has to take ESC out and send it to Traxxas or take to LHS and they can do it! I think the traxxas app would be the best way but so far thats not an option!

RC poster
    The Traxxas app can only update the receiver. I updated my esc with the module supplied to my lhs. Simply remove the receiver cover and unplug #2 esc wire connect to the update tool and plug in batteries then press the EZ set button on the esc wait 30 seconds to 1 minute and once the esc and update tool show solid green it is done. That's it, super easy.

RC poster
    My local Hobbytown had my ESC firmware updated in 30 seconds. I can't tell much of a difference after the update.

I love traxxas, but this is . I paid over 800 for this truck, and have yet to get a full run out of it. The esc needs more power not a update, just get it fixed, i will buy the upgrade, because I love the truck.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-06-2016 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Language

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    I love traxxas, but this is . I paid over 800 for this truck, and have yet to get a full run out of it. The esc needs more power not a update, just get it fixed, i will buy the upgrade, because I love the truck.
    IMO I would change the esc as many on here have including myself to have a worry free truck. yes it is an extra cost but well worth it
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-06-2016 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Language
    Fortenwinkler

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    My local Hobbytown had my ESC firmware updated in 30 seconds. I can't tell much of a difference after the update.
    Thanks for the note on this.

RC Qualifier
    Getting mine done wed

RC Racer
    Just got a new X-Maxx from Tower Hobbies today. The Fusible Link and latest ESC Firmware is installed. I guess I lucked out.

RC Competitor
    That stinks on the update and loss of low end power. I really think traxxas needs to make a better esc then .

There's no documented loss of power, just a *slight* delay in power delivery. It's better on the lipos this way, it won't be hitting them as hard with voltage/amp drops.

As others have said, you need the new update module to perform this, either at your LHS, or by sending it to Traxxas themselves. Either way, it's not something you can perform yourself.

RC Enthusiast
    What's frustrating is that none of my local shops even know anything about this?? I called Traxxas this morning and asked which shops in my area they sent them to and they said they don't know? I find this frustrating they can't tell me the stores they have sent the module to in Washington state. I have 2 - maxx's and 1 caught on fire and they replaced both speed controller and motor - then the other maxx has the fusible link but the speed controller needs to be updated and I don't want to wait 3-weeks at the beginning of summer to send this into Traxxas - very frustrating for customers. I wish they could tell me the shops that have the module, instead of a list of shops that should be getting them sometime.
    Like the truck but all these issues are frustrating

RC poster
    I purchased my X-MAXX 6 weeks ago...delaying the buy to allow kinks to be worked out. Any time you are an early adopter of a version 1.0 anything you should expect some issues. Mine came with both the fusible link and updated speed controller. Yes it would have been ideal to have an optimized ESC...but considering everything...its a pretty amazing truck. My stock ESC has overheated once..but I was running in tall grass at 100% to push its limits.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cen7 View Post
    What's frustrating is that none of my local shops even know anything about this?? I called Traxxas this morning and asked which shops in my area they sent them to and they said they don't know? I find this frustrating they can't tell me the stores they have sent the module to in Washington state. I have 2 - maxx's and 1 caught on fire and they replaced both speed controller and motor - then the other maxx has the fusible link but the speed controller needs to be updated and I don't want to wait 3-weeks at the beginning of summer to send this into Traxxas - very frustrating for customers. I wish they could tell me the shops that have the module, instead of a list of shops that should be getting them sometime.
    Like the truck but all these issues are frustrating
    Same in UK. I contacted ModelSport who are one of the UKs larger RC stockists. They knew nothing of the recall and put me in touch with the U.K. Distributor. Got in touch and they knew of the recall and the ESC update but do not have the part needed from Traxxas to carry out the update. Appalling service from
    Traxxas! Let's hope there's no fires in the meantime.

I imagine this solution is something that will work good/fluid in US, its gonna be interesting to see how they handle it in other markets, for example countries in EU.

New X-Maxx Recall Info/Update

All you need to do is go through the EU distributor from which it was bought.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-07-2016 at 07:51 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Got mine done today didn't really see any difference off the line

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast