Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC poster
    How does the ESC know that it needs a update??? It has a firmware in it when you bought the truck. Now how does this ESC know that there is a new update out there.. The ESC would somehow need to connect to the internet or some kind of tool first check witch firmware is installed and then check to see if there is a new one out there but from what I see on these post all you do is press the blue button and the red light tells you if you need a update or not ????

My educated guess would be via Bluetooth connectivity and the Traxxas app.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Plevasseur View Post
    How does the ESC know that it needs a update??? It has a firmware in it when you bought the truck. Now how does this ESC know that there is a new update out there.. The ESC would somehow need to connect to the internet or some kind of tool first check witch firmware is installed and then check to see if there is a new one out there but from what I see on these post all you do is press the blue button and the red light tells you if you need a update or not ????
    https://youtu.be/3NU-THIS3NU

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    My educated guess would be via Bluetooth connectivity and the Traxxas app.
    It cant be done by the customer Bluetooth connectivity and the Traxxas app, you have to get it to a dealer who have a Traxxas (special) flash tool. In Sweden the Traxxas import agent www.minicars.se can do it if youre local hobbyshop doesnt have the flash tool.

I have sent them my VXL-6s ESC today to be flashed with the new firmware, free of charge for me.

RC poster
    I have looked at this video but it does not make any sense..The ESC needs to communicate with something to determine if it has the proper firmware. Its just like my computer when it needs a update it communicates with the internet, looks at what i have and determines if there is a newer version out there. If i look for a update for my computer and not connected to the internet it will never know there is a new update. So i am wondering how the ESC knows there is a new firmware out there...

Edit: misunderstood. Per the video provided if the ESC has the fusible link and when you shut it off it will blink RED twice.

Per the description from Traxxas:
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas
    You can quickly determine if your model is affected by following these steps.

The two battery connectors on the speed control are connected to each other by a short black wire.

If your speed control has an original bridge wire, it needs to be replaced with a fusible link.

The fusible link can be identified by a large red label.

The VXL-6s electronic speed control may also need a firmware update.

To determine if your speed control needs to be updated, plug in the two batteries and power on the speed control.

Now, press the blue EZ-Set button again to turn it off.

If the LED flashes red twice, then the speed control has the latest firmware installed.

If the LED does not flash at all, the firmware needs to be updated.

If your speed control needs either the fusible link or the firmware update, you can remove the part and take it to an authorized dealer or send it in to Traxxas.

Visit our dealer locator page on Traxxas.com, or visit our support pages for further instructions on sending your VXL-6s Electronic Speed Control to Traxxas.
    Given this information I see the confusion where the firmware in the ESC may be, for example: 6.0.0.1 and there may be 6.0.0.9 out there. So how does it know that the newest firmware is there? It does not. There are two styles of VXL-6s ESC and in the second generation Traxxas programmed the ESC to blink red twice to show it was the updated model and installed the fusible link. The first-gen ESCs are part of the recall and if you are concerned about it, it would be in your best interest to contact Customer Service. Unlike the Aton which updates its newest firmware via Bluetooth and the Traxxas app, the other ESCs produced by Traxxas do not. Only Traxxas and possibly dealers know the current firmware revision. And only Traxxas knows if future ESCs will be able to be updated via the app.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-19-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    rizz0d prehaps you should post a final post in this thread ;-) if he doesnt, hint: he ran out of luck.
    thanks cazrack. i did run out of luck, but i made a thread about my issue and i'll leave it at that.
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

RC Racer
    Link to thread?
    "For we walk by faith and not by sight" 2 Cor. 5-7

RC Racer
    My new Maxx has the software and fusible link updates. Does this make it safe, i.e. not going to catch on fire and burn to the ground?
    "For we walk by faith and not by sight" 2 Cor. 5-7

Quote Originally Posted by Johnybravo View Post
    Link to thread?
    fusible link didn't work vxl6-s fire

Quote Originally Posted by Johnybravo View Post
    My new Maxx has the software and fusible link updates. Does this make it safe, i.e. not going to catch on fire and burn to the ground?
    According to traxxas you should be good to go. I can't say that I've seen any fires with both the fusible link and the firmware update yet.
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

RC poster
    We should be the last to know,to tell people there's an update but you can't have it is bad PR.

I never could get the esc to update via update tool. Directions say esc and tool flash green and when done will flash red, however tool stops flashing and esc continues to flash green and never stops flashing green.... Anyone ever had this problem?

STL Missouri
    92.5 mph Rustler
    87.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123