RC Qualifier

Am I asking too much $

Posted my Xmaxx for $600 plus actual shipping. Its a little over a month old and has only been ran half a dozen times. I added the castle fans to the motor and some body savers but other than that its stock. Its in great shape. Had a couple people offer me $400 which I thought was way low. Am I crazy thinking its worth 600? I just got back into the hobby 2 months ago so maybe the used market isnt what I think.
    Last edited by mdpbowtech; 06-04-2016 at 06:26 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I think your price is fair. Check eBay for the most recent prices. Realize you'll lose 10% as seller fees but see if it might be a better place to sell. If I didn't already have an X-Maxx I would definitely be willing to pay $600-650 for a good one with a fan.

RC poster
    If you were closer I would definitely consider it. Post it up on Craigslist me personally I don't like buying rc's without actually getting to go over them.

RC Champion
    I would definitely pay $600 for it but il steady have Xmaxx and already spent almost a grand on it

RC Qualifier
    Are you near a hobby shop? See if they will consign it. Ours will for 10%, but at least you don't gotta ship it and people can see how big it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caution, this message contains words.

Thumbs up

A few things come to mind here...

There is a lot of consternation about the ESC, I'm sure people are skeptical to grab a used one until the bugs are worked out only because they are buying something that will not be covered under any warranty (used and not the original owner).

Yes, that is a very fair price but no one wants to pay "plus shipping". I always pass on any post that says "plus cost of shipping" or anything of that nature because I personally feel the seller should have considered what it would cost to ship it and include that into the price of the vehicle when listed. It never matters how smokin' the deal is, if it says "plus...anything", I'm out.

This time of year is typically slow for selling anything RC related. Most folks...MOST...get their new rigs during the winter months when they have the bug and can't wait to get out when the weather gets nice. People ditch their rigs during the winter to free up capital so, it is a great time to buy. Then we the spring and summer months get here, they are ready to hit it with their new rigs! Least we forget, no one is looking because they are outside playing!

Lastly, 600$ is still a grip of cash to offload all at once...it is simply hard to let that much go. Most people who wanted an X-maxx have had 6 months to grab one. Either on pre order or already found and bought. So, we are in the calm after the storm of initial purchases and it is going to take that one person looking for a good one to stop by and grab yours. But, I assure you, someone will buy it - only a matter of time.

P.S. Traxxas community is a rather small...community...of people buying. There are far more frequented sites out there to buy from. Then again, buying from a forum with paypal as your only safety net is scary for anyone, especially when 600$ is at stake.

It is worth 600$ so stand firm on your price, you'll sell it.
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 06-04-2016 at 11:27 PM.
    "RED"

RC Enthusiast
    I believe your price is fine, I bought my X-maxx for about a hundred over your price including batteries. I also notice that selling here on the Traxxas forums requires patience, I recently sold a truck here and it took almost two weeks to go.

Also, pictures all around really help out buyers definitely.
    Last edited by GSAP1; 06-04-2016 at 11:52 PM.

RC poster
    Sent you a PM

Another thing I might add. If at all possible save the purchase box & all those cardboard pieces.

It helps for shipping & I always like having the original box for whatever reason?

Edit: I didn't realize there was a "For Sale" forum here. Great, just when I get my spending under control, lol.
    Last edited by rtmike; 06-05-2016 at 08:08 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I do keep the boxes, my wife is always like why do we have to keep these?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mdpbowtech View Post
    I do keep the boxes, my wife is always like why do we have to keep these?
    You get my message?

RC poster
    Sorry saw you got it. I'll contact u tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    Posted my Xmaxx for $600 plus actual shipping. Its a little over a month old and has only been ran half a dozen times. I added the castle fans to the motor and some body savers but other than that its stock. Its in great shape. Had a couple people offer me $400 which I thought was way low. Am I crazy thinking its worth 600? I just got back into the hobby 2 months ago so maybe the used market isnt what I think.
    Personally Nothing against you But for $600.00 Used... I paid $730.00 NEW for my X-MAXX I would put the extra money on a new one instead of paying $600.00 for a used one. I think your price is a bit TALL but you should have no problem selling an X-MAXX

RC Qualifier
    The problem with the Traxxas Marketplace is most of the people here already own what they want. So the ones looking at the marketplace are looking for the I cannot pass this up type of thing. For instance if you had it at $400 I would buy it just for the parts for my fleet of X-Maxxs. I have found selling my spare RCs on CL is the way to go. Someone local stops by and plays with it a bit they hand me cash everyone is happy.

The only time I have sold anything here is when I listed it for 60% off the new price then usually one of the vets here picks it up because it is a cannot pass type of deal. I don't think you will get $600 + shipping here but on CL or something you would do a lot better.

IMHO $600 plus shipping is decent; $750 w/batteries plus shipping as well but as mentioned it is a chunk of change for a used (however lightly or heavily) RC and there is the variable of how much shipping is. Coming from a buyer's standpoint if I see that shipping is not included and/or I have to pay for Paypal fees then I'm out. Free shipping is a bonus; Paypal fees are a cost of doing business. When I see $600 is the bottom line - for example - then I'll be looking at the ad a few more times but if there is additional costs be up front what those costs are going to be so that I/we are not hit with additional charges or just consider those charges and place a bottom line price. eBay and Amazon display shipping charges so you can take that into consideration if it is a good deal or not.

Additionally, the X-Maxx is still pretty new and there have only been about a handful sold here in the forum so the used price has not been established. When one is here long enough we get a feel for how much a used ERBE, 3.3 Revo, MERV or Slash, et al is worth.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Makes sense about the shipping. I should have just put a price with shipping. As far as getting a new one for $730, I have never seen one that cheap.

Makes sense about the shipping. I should have just put a price with shipping. As far as getting a new one for $730, I have never seen one that cheap.
    Yeah, me neither. I thought Traxxas wasn't allowing anymore discounts on their new stuff?

RC Qualifier
    Im just gonna keep it lol. Im not good at this trading or selling stuff.

RC Qualifier
    i guess thats a good decision to keep it.

just as a sidenote: imho 600$ for a used x maxx is way too high. i sometimes buy used rc cars and even if they are in top condition etc i would never pay more than half the original price buying from a private person. you can never know what that person really did with the car (hidden problems you can not see from just looking at it etc). its really "a market for lemons" (akerlof).
    Exercitatio artem paravit

Lets see. 850$ cash price across the counter out the door, tax included for a new one. Nothing is damaged, just a few scratches. Not in the original packaging, whatever. Still getting a great vehicle for a great price. $600 is a great price - you avoid taxes, usually don't have to pay shipping - used is actually the way to go. Worried about the electronics? Even new stuff can die without reason...it kills me when people wont pay what a car is worth and says "its used" in order to get something lower than what is is really worth. Unfortunately, that has gone on WAY too long and it is killing resale on used RCs. I'm certainly not going to deflate what I honestly think it is worth in this discussion to get you to lower the price; I have to be honest with myself and you.

If I buy it new off the shelf and walk out of the store, post it online I'll get 2/3 what I just paid inside the store...how is that? Too many don't see the value in the hobby. But, there are still a few out there who know and do what is right.

With all that said, anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If I didn't already own one, I would have already purchased this one. Great guy to talk to - I'm just glad you have decided to keep it. Now we can swap war stories!
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 06-07-2016 at 10:35 PM.
    "RED"

RC poster
    he sent me pics, super nice to speak to. i was considering his truck but have decided to go new.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    ... Unfortunately, that has gone on WAY too long and it is killing resale on used RCs...
    well i see things differently. the point in the used-rc market is simply that the seller knows much more about the rc car than the buyer. this by itself increases the probability of buying a "lemon-car". and as all potential buyers know that they decrease their willingness to pay for used-rc cars in general because it is not easy to detect all the lemons precisely. this is completely rational behaviour and makes fully sense to me. thats why private sellers always have to offer very substantial lower prices even for "almost" new rc cars.

the only way to overcome this "asymmetric information" about the rc car is you buy one from a rc buddies of yours whom you know well. when i do that i am ready to pay a higher price for sure. but from an internet platform from "somebody" it just makes sense to go substantially lower with the price.

i fully agree that in some cases that "buyer skeptiscism" is not adequate. however that doesn't matter. the mechanism is still working that way.

furthermore, like you mentioned, what something e.g. a used x maxx is "worth" is not an obejective number but very subjective. so there is no "right" price or something like that.

bye
    rhylsadar

Definitely not looking to argue about this but a good debate never heard anybody and you bring up great points that I think others could benefit from. Thank you for your point of view. I completely agree with you about everything you say and I think you are "spot on". I hope others new to the hobby read this and get a little more insite into what we all love to do in our spare time - RC CARS!! WOOHOOO!

You are correct. Buyer skepticism is arguably almost always the reason. What I would offer any skeptical buyer is simply this:

1) Ask plenty of question, direct and blunt questions
    2) Ask for plenty of photographs if you cant get your hands on it directly
    3) If you're not comfortable with the answers you get and still feel you're buying a lemon - don't buy it
    4) Somethung may not always work like you want it but yoire protected through paypal if it is too bad and cant be resolved with the buyer
    5) Have a little faith in people. Yes, there are some who want to take advantage but, for the most part, there are "straight shooters" out there looking to still enjoy the hobby and pass on their enjoyment to the next person.

May our hobby live long and prosper - oh geez, did I really just say that??!?!!?
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 06-08-2016 at 07:49 AM.
    "RED"

RC Qualifier
    i fully agree with your points.

RC Qualifier
    The problem that I have is I always want to try something new. Im the same way with my firearms. I buy something use it half a dozen times at most and then want to go onto the next one. I thought it would be cheaper for me to do this with RC rather than firearms cause I wouldnt have all the FFL fees involved. I was wrong, I lost plenty when I sold my pede 4x4 and rally lol.
    It also doesnt help that I only buy from my LHS so I have more invested cause of tax than just buying off the net. I dont mind paying the extra to help keep the place open. He actually just text me that the m41 for me should be here Friday
    Last edited by mdpbowtech; 06-08-2016 at 09:08 AM.

LOL! You sound like me! I learned real fast that it cost me way too much to buy new and sell used a few months later. So, I opted for trading stuff instead. Then I realized that shipping costs were killing me because I was trading so much. Then I decided to try local trades/sales and wouldn't ya know it, no one wants to trade or buy around here. So, I'm stuck with what I have and I cant off load anything unless I take a big hit - I'm sure I'll want what I have in a few months and if I keep it , I'll have it later and wont have to pay for it! LOL!

9 times out of 10, I get rid of something and want it back a few months later...I think I should just start storing things I don't want anymore for when I want it later - haha
    "RED"

RC Qualifier
    haha yes thats how things are going. i am into this hobby for over three centuries now and there was a time when i thought i should sell some of my rc cars. by now i regret it desperately. there were some really classic cars which i would love to restore a little by now. thus about 10 years ago i decided not to sell my rc cars anymore. instead if a car is not used enough anymore i just take the electronics out, put a new or still good looking body on it, clean it and store it.

RC Racer
    Just FYI, a hobby store in my area had a new one on sale for $699 cause they just needed to offload it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhylsadar View Post
    i am into this hobby for over three centuries now
    How old are you?
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    loool sorry. decades.... of course.... maybe it feels like centuries...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    How old are you?
    He must be a vampire....