RC Champion

Traxxas 2200kv motor

Who makes the Traxxas 2200kv black can motor? Is it a Castle Creations motor re-branded by Traxxas?
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX coming soon...

RC Enthusiast
    I want to say Traxxas's version my wife purchased the Mamba Monster 2 combo from my LHS and it was in a Traxxas box and everything and the motor I have is black canned. The castle motors usually are all green. Also usually made somewhere different too.

RC Enthusiast
    Come to think about it, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a "designed by castle, produced for Traxxas, Made in Taiwan"
    Last edited by ExtremeElementz; 06-05-2016 at 08:56 PM. Reason: grammar

RC Racer
    It is a Castle Creations motor. From what I have seen, the black case was made specifically for Traxxas.

RC Champion
    So apparently I was wrong. The ESC are made by Castle Creations but the motors are not. My apologies.
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX coming soon...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by summitbasher240 View Post
    So apparently I was wrong. The ESC are made by Castle Creations but the motors are not. My apologies.
    Really?? Where did you find out? I am starting to feel I have been duped.....

RC Champion
    I actually emailed Castle Creations on Monday, they replied yesterday saying that they do make the ESC but stated that they don't make the motor.
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX coming soon...

RC Enthusiast
    Hmm this is interesting isn't it....

Wow very interesting.... Everything I read before I got my ERBE said it was made by them.

Traxxas 2200kv motor

Interesting in deed in light of this photo showing a "Traxxas" motor from the original MMM days. The labeling on the wires clearly displays "Castle Creations."

However, the new motors supposedly use Traxxas Maxx cable, so other changes may have occurred. Perhaps a more illuminating question would be if Traxxas LICENSED the motors from Castle.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-09-2016 at 09:36 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    I'm looking at my Traxxas MXL-6s box from a little over a year ago I don't know how to upload photos but one side of the box lists the speed controller but no name in front of the listing, but on the other side of the box it sure does say "Traxxas 2200Kv Brushless Motor" implying that the motor is made BY Traxxas or FOR Traxxas so they could put their name on it KSB has a valid point it might be licensed. My can has Traxxas on the connector side with made in Taiwan slapped on it too. So leads me to believe the Castle motor is ACTUALLY made with different quality internals...

RC Racer
    I just sent Castle a follow-up after reading this. I have a MM2/2200Kv combo i purchased to convert my revo to brushless a while back. Asked them if the motor in that combo (ordered directly from Castle) was made by them or another company.

I was under the impression that both the ESC and motor were made by Castle, but now looking to clarify.

I'll update once I hear back from them.

With all these been said, I am not too worried as either way the products are good and the after service from both companies are exceptional.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    From Castle:

We used to make the motor and ESC for the RTR E-Maxx. Traxxas has started making their own motors, but still use our ESCs. You can tell the difference between them by looking at the motor. If it says Traxxas on the motor, they made it…if it’s just solid black with nothing on it, we did.

The combo that you purchased the motor and ESC were both made by us (green can motor).

RC Champion
    I wasn't trying to start anything or imply anything. Like others I was just curious. And by no means am I saying that Traxxas puts out a bad quality product.
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by summitbasher240 View Post
    I wasn't trying to start anything or imply anything. Like others I was just curious. And by no means am I saying that Traxxas puts out a bad quality product.
    I understood that... Im glad it was cleared up though good post