RC poster

Max 6 ESC Calibration with Traxxas Transmitter

Hey all,

I've been reading through this forum since I ordered my X-Maxx back in November. I was one of the lucky ones who got in on the first batch that went out in December. Lots of great info here and I've learned a lot. I had a Hornet and a Clodbuster back in the day and have recently gotten back into the hobby. Picked up an E-Revo last year and couldn't help myself and bought an X-Maxx. LOVE IT. Haven't had any problems with the truck at all, but decided to dump the original ESC and install a Max 6 because it seems like a lot of people are having good luck with it.

Here's where I'm hoping someone can help me out. The installation went great, but I'm having trouble with calibrating the original Traxxas transmitter to the ESC. Calibration seems like its successful in that I can enter calibration mode, calibrate neutral, full throttle, and full break with the beeps and green light flashing the correct number of times to let me know that it has accepted each input correctly...but...when I'm driving the truck, instead of ramping up to full throttle when the trigger is fully pulled, full throttle happens at about 1/4 pull of the trigger so I really have to feather it. It's set on 50/50 not 70/30 by-the-way. Not sure why this is happening.

I came across a thread here saying to reset the the transmitter to factory default settings before calibrating. I had not done that. Do you think that could be the problem? I've run out of daylight today, but will try that tomorrow after work hopefully. Any Ideas you might have would be much appreciated.

Oh, and I've lost telemetry readings on the Traxxas link as well for some reason. The link connects to the transmitter and vehicle, but no readings anymore. Thanks again. Hopefully someone has some ideas.

RC Qualifier
    I would reset the radio to default settings making sure everything is zeroed and recalibrate again just to be sure.my max5 worked ok luckily including the telemetry.
    I'm from rip off Britain

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by uk slasher View Post
    I would reset the radio to default settings making sure everything is zeroed and recalibrate again just to be sure.my max5 worked ok luckily including the telemetry.
    whats the process to reset the radio to the default settings?
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC poster
    uk slasher, I'm definitely going to try that this evening.

G-Rustler, this is what the manual says and is what I'm going to give a shot:

1. Turn the transmitter off.

2. Hold both MENU and SET.

3. Turn the transmitter on.

4. Release MENU and SET. The transmitter LED will blink red.

5. Press SET to clear settings.

The LED will turn solid green and the transmitter is restored to default.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 8JST8 View Post
    Hey all,

I've been reading through this forum since I ordered my X-Maxx back in November. I was one of the lucky ones who got in on the first batch that went out in December. Lots of great info here and I've learned a lot. I had a Hornet and a Clodbuster back in the day and have recently gotten back into the hobby. Picked up an E-Revo last year and couldn't help myself and bought an X-Maxx. LOVE IT. Haven't had any problems with the truck at all, but decided to dump the original ESC and install a Max 6 because it seems like a lot of people are having good luck with it.

Here's where I'm hoping someone can help me out. The installation went great, but I'm having trouble with calibrating the original Traxxas transmitter to the ESC. Calibration seems like its successful in that I can enter calibration mode, calibrate neutral, full throttle, and full break with the beeps and green light flashing the correct number of times to let me know that it has accepted each input correctly...but...when I'm driving the truck, instead of ramping up to full throttle when the trigger is fully pulled, full throttle happens at about 1/4 pull of the trigger so I really have to feather it. It's set on 50/50 not 70/30 by-the-way. Not sure why this is happening.

I came across a thread here saying to reset the the transmitter to factory default settings before calibrating. I had not done that. Do you think that could be the problem? I've run out of daylight today, but will try that tomorrow after work hopefully. Any Ideas you might have would be much appreciated.

Oh, and I've lost telemetry readings on the Traxxas link as well for some reason. The link connects to the transmitter and vehicle, but no readings anymore. Thanks again. Hopefully someone has some ideas.
    I agree with uk slasher. reset transmitter to default and try again. I have the hw max 6 and it can be a bit tricky to bind it to your transmitter it took me a few tries to get mine correct to be honest.
    Fortenwinkler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Don't know what's going on. resetting the transmitter didn't help me at all.

I cant even get the green tones when I hit the esc set button in calibration mode. Goes from red flashes to blank after hitting set.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC poster
    Welp, it didn't work for me either. I reset the transmitter and the ESC to factory defaults and tried to calibrate again. Same result. I get full power at about 1/4 trigger pull.

Quote Originally Posted by classicchevy View Post
    ...I have the hw max 6 and it can be a bit tricky to bind it to your transmitter it took me a few tries to get mine correct to be honest.
    When you say it took you a few tries, did you do anything different during your subsequent attempts? Or did you just keep trying the same way and it ended up working? I've tried numerous times now with the same result.

RC Champion
    Weird when I installed my Max5 I didn't have reset my trx at all.just followed the esc manual to to bind with trx.

RC Racer
    Welp, it didn't work for me either. I reset the transmitter and the ESC to factory defaults and tried to calibrate again. Same result. I get full power at about 1/4 trigger pull.

When you say it took you a few tries, did you do anything different during your subsequent attempts? Or did you just keep trying the same way and it ended up working? I've tried numerous times now with the same result.
    did the same sequence and it finally worked out
    Fortenwinkler

RC poster
    Thanks classicchevy, I'll just keep trying. Hoping for some decent weather this weekend.

RC poster
    Sigh...Been trying to calibrate this thing all weekend to no avail. Contacted Hobbywing, but they weren't much help. They just said to set the End Point Adjustment and if that doesn't work then maybe the actual throttle range on the Traxxas radio is too narrow. I know that's not the case because others have had success using this radio.

According to my Traxxas Link App in the "Drive Effects" area:

Throttle trim: 0%
    Throttle sensitivity: 0%
    Braking: 100%

In the "Channel Setup" area:

Throttle: 100%
    Brake: 100%

I've tried different settings and nothing seems to help. I did move the the radio from 50/50 to 70/30 just to try it and it made the power ramp up less abruptly than on 50/50, but full throttle still comes at about 1/4 trigger pull.

I'm at a loss. About to go back the stock ESC... Or buy a new transmitter/receiver and try that LOL.

RC Racer
    Sigh...Been trying to calibrate this thing all weekend to no avail. Contacted Hobbywing, but they weren't much help. They just said to set the End Point Adjustment and if that doesn't work then maybe the actual throttle range on the Traxxas radio is too narrow. I know that's not the case because others have had success using this radio.

According to my Traxxas Link App in the "Drive Effects" area:

Throttle trim: 0%
    Throttle sensitivity: 0%
    Braking: 100%

In the "Channel Setup" area:

Throttle: 100%
    Brake: 100%

I've tried different settings and nothing seems to help. I did move the the radio from 50/50 to 70/30 just to try it and it made the power ramp up less abruptly than on 50/50, but full throttle still comes at about 1/4 trigger pull.

I'm at a loss. About to go back the stock ESC... Or buy a new transmitter/receiver and try that LOL.
    from my experience with max 6 calibration timing is everything. if you miss the initial cal sequence by one second it wont work. I had to be patient and time the sequence perfectly. Also if memory serves me right you have to hold set button longer than manual says and wait for the proper beeps.
    Fortenwinkler

RC Qualifier
    I use max 6. Beware of punch 5 setting,was at punch 5 for a while an nearly puffed my 5000mah traxxas batteries. I manually program using neeps an lights no problem.

RC Qualifier
    After charging an running 5000 PACs,lost 7 min from run time. Battery packs puffy more. Punch 5 ate them up.

RC poster
    Just an update. Not sure what the deal is with the stock radio. I was never able to calibrate it properly so I went ahead and bought a different one to try. I was able to calibrate it the very first time. I'm off and running

RC Racer
    Just an update. Not sure what the deal is with the stock radio. I was never able to calibrate it properly so I went ahead and bought a different one to try. I was able to calibrate it the very first time. I'm off and running
    glad to hear your up and running. just an fyi I had esc issues today and posted about it and got locked out for talking about hw products on here
    Fortenwinkler

glad to hear your up and running. just an fyi I had esc issues today and posted about it and got locked out for talking about hw products on here
    No. The truth: It got locked for non-Traxxas product support. Different than simply talking about it.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    If u have the Bluetooth and it's connected with the reciever while trying to bind trx with Hw it will interfere with it,it happened to me,had to turn off my bt.

RC poster
    glad to hear your up and running...
    Thanks, man. Amazing feeling when I pulled the throttle for the first time and it worked

Quote Originally Posted by PATS4LIFE View Post
    If u have the Bluetooth and it's connected with the reciever while trying to bind trx with Hw it will interfere with it,it happened to me,had to turn off my bt.
    I thought there might be something to that as well, but when I turned it off I still got the same result. Finally just tried a different radio and SUCCESS! There was either a setting I was missing on the Traxxas radio or the ESC just didn't like my particular unit. The Traxxas radio worked flawlessly until I switched the ESC.

Thanks for all the suggestions, though, guys

When I try bind the transmitter with the ESC I do the following

1. Power on ESC with set button holding it in until the esc flashes green
    2. Now no matter what I try I haven't got the ESC to flash green when I press the set button

Any suggestions on what on how I should do this from 2 on on?

RC Racer
    The following is from Traxxas from when I was having issues with my factory electronics. Once I installed my upgraded components I followed these steps to start fresh and everything worked great the first time thru. I then set up my Max6 and was good to go.

First try putting fresh batteries in the radio and in your vehicle. Make sure the antenna on your receiver is not cut short, and that it is all the way out to the end of the antenna tube

Next reset your transmitter to its factory default settings. This procedure is different from the one in your Owner's Manual.

Start with radio turned off.

Hold both menu and set.

Turn radio on

Release menu and set slow red blinking light

Hold menu and set till light changes to green blink

Release menu and set

While holding steering at full left, press set.

While holding steering at full right, press set.

Light changes back to red blink

While holding full throttle press set.

While holding full breaks, press set.

Light should now be solid green, factory endpoints reset has been finished.

Reset your transmitter to its default settings. https://traxxas.com/video/Accessorie...TQ-24GHz-High-

1.Install the AA batteries in the transmitter. Press and hold the SET button. Switch the transmitter on. The STATUS LED will flash. Release the button.

2.Press and hold the receivers LINK button. Switch the receiver on. The receiver LED will flash.

3.When both LEDs stop flashing (this will take just a moment or two), the system is bound and ready for use. Confirm that the steering and throttle operate properly before driving your model.

I got it working :-)

I have to say im very surprised on how more smooth and more powerful it felt with the MAX6 compared to stock, using taped tires and 21/46 on 6s.

Very nice
    Last edited by cazrack; 01-16-2017 at 04:39 PM.

RC Qualifier
    People seem to forget that throttle input is limited to 50% if the temp sensor isn't plugged in!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Manne View Post
    People seem to forget that throttle input is limited to 50% if the temp sensor isn't plugged in!
    is there a way how to bypass it?
    I have sold my x-maxx and kept the tqi.
    But my new car is getting limited to 50% on throttle

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The throttle will only be limited to 50% through the xmaxx ESC. What ESC are you using?
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    The throttle will only be limited to 50% through the xmaxx ESC. What ESC are you using?
    thank you
    that weird, i have different brand ESC, but i experienced exactly the same as described above.
    calibrated esc, full throttle and getting only cca 50% speed im getting with different transmitter