RC Competitor

Exactly What Will the 3-Axix Gimbal Do?

As others, I've been eagerly anticipating the release of the "3-Axis Gimbal" from Traxxas, but what exactly will it do that the current 2-axis gimbal does not?

The current gimbal maintains position during pitch and roll of the aircraft, so will the 3-axis gimbal maintain position during yaw inputs? If so, then the landing legs will be in the shot and it will be impossible to point the camera in a specific direction unless camera yaw is controlled by the transmitter.

Will it have radio control of the pitch angle, which is the only useful addition to the existing gimbal I can think of. But then that wouldn't really be a third axis, just more control of one of the existing two (pitch and roll).

I envision a true 3-axis gimbal as what is available on the Yuneec Typhoon H, one that is controlled in pitch and yaw from the transmitter and maintains a level horizon during roll inputs. I can't see that happening with the Aton gimbal, but would be nice I guess if the landing legs weren't in the way.

What are your thoughts on exactly what the 3-axis gimbal, if and when it becomes available, will do to improve the quality of video recorded with the Aton?

My guess is that it will maintain camera shot during yaw, and that the control will come from an update to the mobile app (FPV Framing). If that's true you'll still be using bluetooth and you won't be able to be more than 80' or so away from the subject.
    Just my guess.

RC Competitor
    I think there is additional functionality available in the transmitter through use of the Aux 1 & 2 buttons, so it's conceivable that control could come from that rather than the mobile app, but yaw (panning) control would have to be limited due to the landing legs.

FPV framing brings up another question. Since WiFi is supposed to be a NoNo, will FPV framing include a camera using some other transmission protocol or maybe one of those FPV plugins for the GoPro would be necessary.

It would be nice to know what they have in mind, might influence future purchase plans.

All good questions.

For now I hope this definition helps:

"3-axis gimbals generally provide better video stability than 2-axis gimbals. This is because 3-axis gimbals stabilizes your video on all 3 axis (yaw, pitch and roll) while 2-axis gimbals stabilizes only on the pitch and roll axis. Jello, or jittery horizontal movement, is more obvious in videos taken using a 2-axis gimbal due to the lack of stabilization in the yaw axis. 3-axis gimbals are able to greatly reduce and sometimes completely eliminate jello due to a third motor that helps absorb unwanted movement in the yaw axis."

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    "3-axis gimbals generally provide better video stability than 2-axis gimbals. This is because 3-axis gimbals stabilizes your video on all 3 axis (yaw, pitch and roll) while 2-axis gimbals stabilizes only on the pitch and roll axis. Jello, or jittery horizontal movement, is more obvious in videos taken using a 2-axis gimbal due to the lack of stabilization in the yaw axis. 3-axis gimbals are able to greatly reduce and sometimes completely eliminate jello due to a third motor that helps absorb unwanted movement in the yaw axis."
    That definition makes sense, but would require remote control of camera yaw separate from aircraft yaw. Otherwise, the camera would always point in the direction the gimbal was first initialized and not move relative to aircraft direction.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by HDVideo View Post
    That definition makes sense, but would require remote control of camera yaw separate from aircraft yaw. Otherwise, the camera would always point in the direction the gimbal was first initialized and not move relative to aircraft direction.
    I don't have a 3 axis gimbal but I believe the yaw axis is set up to only handle micro movements and vibrations. They stick to a fixed heading relative to direction of the front of the aircraft, not fixed to the initial compass heading.

RC Qualifier
    the only thing I know about the 3-axis gimbal, I am SOO looking forward to its debut.
    Traxxas please sell kits!

Quote Originally Posted by Racer83L View Post
    the only thing I know about the 3-axis gimbal, I am SOO looking forward to its debut.
    Me also, going to be good to compare video footage side by side with the 2-axis gimbal.

RC Racer

RC Competitor
    Thanks for posting the clip RobDBell. You can definitely see a difference and I agree, 3-axis is the way to go, but if my 2-axis gimbal footage looked as smooth as yours, even without software stabilization, I wouldn't be complaining nearly as much. I suspect some of my problems are either unbalanced props or possibly a defective gimbal.

Here's some video shot last week as an example of what I'm dealing with.

Last edited by HDVideo; 06-09-2016 at 09:53 PM.

RC Racer
    That video wasn't mine, BTW, just one I found on YouTube comparing 2 & 3 axis gimbals.

My 2-axis stock gimbal with Git2's in-camera stabilization does get closer to the 3-axis smoothness though. This one is mine with that combo:

I do see the shakiness you describe in your video sample. I haven't taken a video yet with camera stabilization turned off so I don't know if my Aton would look like that or not.

How did you brand your video with the GoPro and Traxxas Aton logos like that?

Rob
    Last edited by RobDBell; 06-10-2016 at 07:04 AM.

RC Competitor
    I've heard good things about the Git2 camera and your clip is very stable compared to mine. I checked the specs on it and it's about .32" thicker than a GoPro. Did you have to modify the Traxxas gimbal in any way for it to fit? Why does your horizon tilt to the right?

As for the logos, I use Adobe Premiere Pro as my editor and simply overlay images with a transparent background on a separate video track. It's the same method used to create text, titles and credits. I would assume most video editors have that capability, but I've used Adobe's products for years and don't have experience with other programs.

RC Racer
    The Git2 fits the stock gimbal but not 100%. The side of the plastic retainer U-shaped piece that snaps closed is too narrow. The other 2 sides are ok. But it still snaps shut and seems to be a solid hold on the camera. Throw a zip tie around things to lock it in.

I have no idea why the horizon is like that. I'm new to this so I may have screwed something up.

Rob

RC Racer
    [QUOTE=HDVideo;6252792]I've heard good things about the Git2 camera and your clip is very stable compared to mine. I checked the specs on it and it's about .32" thicker than a GoPro. Did you have to modify the Traxxas gimbal in any way for it to fit? Why does your horizon tilt to the right?/QUOTE]

The 0.32" diff must be the total depth of the cameras, not the body. The Git2 is about 21-22mm deep. The gimbal U-strap holding the camera in has a channel 21mm wide on the top part that fits the Git2 perfectly and 17mm wide on the clip side. This is the side that doesn't fit the Git2 perfectly. Not sure why the top of the U-strap is wider than the side. Never had a GoPro so I don't know if the body is wider on the top than the right side or if Traxxas just made the top of the strap too big.

Anyway, the setup does work OK for the Git2.

Rob

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDBell View Post
    The 0.32" diff must be the total depth of the cameras, not the body. The Git2 is about 21-22mm deep. The gimbal U-strap holding the camera in has a channel 21mm wide on the top part that fits the Git2 perfectly and 17mm wide on the clip side. This is the side that doesn't fit the Git2 perfectly. Not sure why the top of the U-strap is wider than the side. Never had a GoPro so I don't know if the body is wider on the top than the right side or if Traxxas just made the top of the strap too big.

Anyway, the setup does work OK for the Git2.

Rob
    The Git2 that I got specs for had an LCD screen on the back, which might account for the added thickness. It didn't seem to be removable though.

GoPro cameras have a slot on one side that is used for external attachments like batteries and LCD screen. The piece on the camera mount strap fits into that slot to help secure the camera. Without any external pieces, the GoPro is 21.21mm thick so I would think if you shaved off that piece on the side strap, the camera would fit perfectly.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by HDVideo View Post
    The Git2 that I got specs for had an LCD screen on the back, which might account for the added thickness. It didn't seem to be removable though.

GoPro cameras have a slot on one side that is used for external attachments like batteries and LCD screen. The piece on the camera mount strap fits into that slot to help secure the camera. Without any external pieces, the GoPro is 21.21mm thick so I would think if you shaved off that piece on the side strap, the camera would fit perfectly.
    All Git2s have an LCD screen, don't they? Mine does.

Thanks for the explanation of the GoPro. That makes sense. You're right that if you shaved off that protrusion on the side it would fit perfectly. And it would be pretty easy for Traxxas or a 3rd party to make a replacement strap that fits the Git2 with a lip just a little further out on the side of the strap.

Rob