RC Racer

Worth the plunge?

Just wanted to hear some thoughts on the xmaxx, I've owned acouple 1/5th (gas) but got bored with them pretty quick. In have acouple 1/10 scales right now but really looking into the new truck. How's the aftermarket ? What are people's opinions using this as a backyard basher? Thanks in advance!

RC Qualifier
    Just like your 1/5 scale you need the room to run. Have not run my 5B or my 5T since ERevo brushless/lipos hit the scene. Very limited aftermarket right now. First time out ran my X seven minutes, BROKE. Waited for parts,ran truck four/five minutes,BROKE. Waited for parts,ran truck ten minutes,BROKE! Just search how many X's are for sale. People even trying to trade XMaxx for ERevos. I wish I saved my money for better things!!!

RC Qualifier
    This truck seems to have polarised opinions so much!
    Nearly all owners love them, many go really way too far and it generally comes back for more.
    There have been quite a few breakages, but when you see why, you can understand many of them.

I would suggest reading some of the MANY user threads and looking at some of the videos, indicating just how capable they are - personally I think they're pretty awesome, but perhaps could have been a bit 'heavier duty' on the drivetrain.

Al.

RC Racer
    I like my maxx.. seems ok in the durable department.
    I think traxxas don't beef it up too much because they want it to break for people to continually buying replacement parts. Keeps them in business. Otherwise they would make a arms like rpm

I have had mine for about 3 months and I have yet to break anything. But, I keep it under 10 feet off the ground. I would not hesitate to purchase the X-maxx again. It is an amazing vehicle (arguable the best traxxas vehicle yet) and I have owned a ton of vehicles.
    "RED"

Quote Originally Posted by boostd2valve View Post
    Just wanted to hear some thoughts on the xmaxx, I've owned acouple 1/5th (gas) but got bored with them pretty quick. In have acouple 1/10 scales right now but really looking into the new truck. How's the aftermarket ? What are people's opinions using this as a backyard basher? Thanks in advance!
    Definately worth the time and funds - The X-MAXX is great for many reasons. I've been enjoying the fact that it's tough, reliable, is BIG so easy to work on, build in modules. So easy too access everything!

I'm running 4s and loving it. I don't often run 6s as you have lots of speed and more chance of crash/broken parts and downtime.

Go for it!

PS RC anything never winds over bashing on concert skateparks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    [QUOTE=jeteffect;6252374]Definately worth the time and funds

I didn't even kno you could run 4s on this thing lol I can only imagine the speed
    We are all one race. The human race.

[QUOTE=G-Rustler;6252392]
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Definately worth the time and funds

I didn't even kno you could run 4s on this thing lol I can only imagine the speed

Haha... And I'm running 11T pinion for slow crawling trail runs, it's actually really fun! .

Last weekend I run 6s, even with 11T it was fast. I didn't want to crash it, so I didn't bash it. Just a few speed runs on dirt and pavement and some higher than normal jumps @ around 8 feet.

RC Champion
    It's worth it,I had mine since March 1 the only one that I ever broke was front diff gears but truck was at full speed hit my brakes hard and slammed on the curb,other than that haven't broke anything yet..and truck is very easy to work on,I'd say go for it,you'll love it,I myself are addicted to it,if I get chance to buy another one I would not hesitate.

RC Racer
    Great truck, no where near on the same level as my fully customized E-maxx- the X is much better! Haven't broken anything yet, but I don't do crazy jumps or much concrete.

RC Racer
    I've had mine since the day they were released. Have not broken anything. 6s only.

Ramps, jumps, back flips, skate park, 4' high concrete ramps.

I'm smart enough to not run it full throttle into a wall.

RC Racer
    Awesome rc truck. It's worth it in my opinion. I haven't broke any parts. Aftermarket is coming on strong, stock parts are available. Go for it!!! Take the plunge.....
    Open every day....

RC Qualifier
    If you are a speed junkie you will want to look at something different. Just my opinion. It has plenty of power just not the top end speed without upgrades.

RC Qualifier
    Golf course, rolling hills,best surface to run on.perfect for the xmaxx.

RC Racer
    Thanks for all the replies, this is great feedback as I always check the videos and post first. It's nice to get hands on users. I do like some speed on tap if needed, not constant but I do like a speed run here and there. It looks like there is some upgrades in the power department if need be down the road.(I'm not familiar with anything bigger then the mamba monsters that I've ran in my xo-1 and revo's). Seems pretty promising from what I'm seeing so far.

truck is a blast. only things I've broken were a result of RIDICULOUS air time not landing properly.
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

RC Qualifier
    Love this truck handles great and I think it's fast enough for the size.just wish traxxas would come out with hop up parts for it. like suspion parts they said they are making for it.

RC Champion
    Thanks for all the replies, this is great feedback as I always check the videos and post first. It's nice to get hands on users. I do like some speed on tap if needed, not constant but I do like a speed run here and there. It looks like there is some upgrades in the power department if need be down the road.(I'm not familiar with anything bigger then the mamba monsters that I've ran in my xo-1 and revo's). Seems pretty promising from what I'm seeing so far.

And if want top speed get yourself some foam tires

RC Qualifier
    Love mine. Still mostly stock. Broke a couple of cvd pins but $5 for a bag of 50 at mcmaster carr easy. Plus easy maintenance. Like you I have 1/5, and I love running the rear trenchers from the 5t on the xmaxx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caution, this message contains words.

It's gonna be tough to get an impartial view with where you're asking.

Anyone that isn't happy & voices said opinion doesn't usually last around here. Afterall it is their forum.

If you nose around the Facebook pages you'll most likely get a better feel.

RC Qualifier
    Just need someone to make a better wheel for xmaxx. hard to get 4 really well made stock tires. This size tire needs to run true. Or hard on everything.

RC poster
    I've owned mine since ebruary and only ran it aboUT 3 times. First time it caught on fire. Second I broke a suspension arm. Without even leaving the ground. The third I stripped a spur and broke an axel pin. I'm scared to drive it now because it takes so long for parts to become available to fix it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeride0803 View Post
    I've owned mine since ebruary and only ran it aboUT 3 times. First time it caught on fire. Second I broke a suspension arm. Without even leaving the ground. The third I stripped a spur and broke an axel pin. I'm scared to drive it now because it takes so long for parts to become available to fix it.
    How did u break suspension arm? We're u at full speed and hit a curb,wall?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PATS4LIFE View Post
    How did u break suspension arm? We're u at full speed and hit a curb,wall?
    Must have been a faulty one or something I was taking it easy just to make sure it wouldn't catch fire again and turned sharply and snap

RC Racer
    I had an ERBE and sold it a few yes ago. I loved that truck. I got back into RC recently and bought a XMAXX. I'm in the process of upgrading. I have a feeling that I will be buying a ERBE in a few weeks. Here's my take on the two. The xmaxx has its cool Factor because it's so big and can be very powerful. It flips over and can take a good bashing. But the truck is somewhat limited by its set up for true racing. Right now the hop-up parts are limited. The upgrade parts that are out there are a tad on the expensive side. The REVO, I would say, hands down would probably be more fun. While it is a little bit smaller, the upgrades out there are plentiful. there's a lot that can be done to the truck to make it race type set up. The xmaxx is basically built to be a true monster truck to bash around, not really race. Some people are trying to do top speed runs with them and are getting good speed out of them...

I would try and find some people willing to let you try their rigs. Just to get a feel.

Quote Originally Posted by ShanenooX View Post
    ...the truck is somewhat limited by its set up for true racing...
    au contraire...

lol!
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

OH MAN! That is a super nice compound track! I only wish I had one around here like that. Truck needs more steering in my opinion but other than that, great lines.
    "RED"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanenooX View Post
    I had an ERBE and sold it a few yes ago. I loved that truck. I got back into RC recently and bought a XMAXX. I'm in the process of upgrading. I have a feeling that I will be buying a ERBE in a few weeks. Here's my take on the two. The xmaxx has its cool Factor because it's so big and can be very powerful. It flips over and can take a good bashing. But the truck is somewhat limited by its set up for true racing. Right now the hop-up parts are limited. The upgrade parts that are out there are a tad on the expensive side. The REVO, I would say, hands down would probably be more fun. While it is a little bit smaller, the upgrades out there are plentiful. there's a lot that can be done to the truck to make it race type set up. The xmaxx is basically built to be a true monster truck to bash around, not really race. Some people are trying to do top speed runs with them and are getting good speed out of them...

I would try and find some people willing to let you try their rigs. Just to get a feel.
    Yes someone already had Xmaxx at top speed @80mph I think it's very impressive for a truck this size.

RC Qualifier
    Aftermarket wise the motor and ESC is right on it. As for everything else, meh. In reality not much is really needed to be modified. I would say the wheels/tires which Proline should be coming out with something soon and maybe the diffs which hopefully Kershaw releases them soon. Oh RPM came out with the arms but I haven't heard much of them breaking all the time.

IMO I think by just changing the gears you would come pretty close to your gas 1/5 except this truck is higher off the ground and has larger tires. Terrain is no match for this beast. Now if you go the 8S route it's no comparison.

RC Competitor
    I think it's worth the plunge. The clipless body fastening is great, and ditto for the battery doors.

It rolls over grass easier than anything with smaller diameter tires.

Even if that was all the extra it offered, it would be worth it.

On 4S with your old packs for 1/10 and 1/8, it is a nice relaxing drive, and suitable for smaller spaces. On 6S, it'll cover a baseball outfield in 5 seconds.

It jumps well; pretty balanced. I tried a CEN Colossus before this, and the quality just wasn't there. It's like Traxxas took all the lessons they learned from making E-Revos going 50 mph and applied it toward this.

You might find (like a lot of us) that your other trucks aren't getting much use any more. I have at least one that'll be outgoing soon, I think.

I say get you one. I have owned many nitro and electric vehicles and this and the t-maxx are the only trucks I have brought with me to work to run at lunch time. That is my take on it.
    8 X-MAXX's and 1 MAXX....

I just took the plunge, I think I got the blue one but not sure, will get it early July, so happy!!!

He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    I just took the plunge, I think I got the blue one but not sure, will get it early July, so happy!!!

Awesome! I hear the blue one is faster .

Enjoy when it gets in, you'll have a blast.