Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    FTD, I recently realized I have been using truck shocks on my buggies! I may have to put together a buggy set! Did you end up making it out?
    Now that you mention it, and thinking about what you've used on your builds, that's true! Off the top of my head, I believe you have used both ProLine PowerStroke and ProSpec shocks designed for a Slash or Pro2 truck, and a set of Kyosho shocks off an SC6 truck.

When thinking about that a little deeper, though, that should only effect any of the vehicles that are using the short buggy control arms. Anything that still has the ProTrac arms, or the long RPM arms will work fine, as the longer truck shocks are what those are supposed to be used for. The vehicles with the short Bandit arms will definitely benefit from having the proper, shorter shocks though.

I did a little checking on the Associated shocks and the difference in lengths between the truck applications & the buggy's. Trucks use a 27.5mm shock body with a 27.5mm shaft for the front shocks, and a 36mm shock body with a 35mm shaft for the rear. The current buggy's use a 23mm shock body with a 21mm shaft for the front, and a 27.5mm shock body and 27.5mm shaft in the rear. They do also offer an oprional 31mm shock body & shafts for the rear. So, a bit of a difference for the shorter arm vehicles. Right now I would say the biggest downside you'd be experiencing would be having too much droop, and any of the negative effects that may have, depending on how many internal limiters your using. But, yeah, if you're going to build some new ones, might as well build the correct length from the get go. I hear Kashima's calling your name now....

I did make it to the new, far away track this past weekend, But I'll have to post the track report for that a little later - outta time for now.
    Knowledge gained is lost forever if not passed on.

As I mentioned in the last post, I did manage to make it to one of the somewhat far away tracks around me this past weekend. I went to a place called Coyote Hobbies Raceway in Victorville, California - about 78 miles (one way) from where I live in a suburb north of Los Angeles. This track is a beautiful, large indoor clay track with a full service hobby store. It has all of the niceties that one could ask for - climate controlled, and automated mister system for the track, etc. Unfortunately, I got wrapped up in my own track session & didn't happen to take any pictures of the track while I was there, but here is a picture from their Facebook page. The layout was from a recent large race they had - a little different from the layout I ran on, but fairly similar.

I had the truck setup with what I thought was a decent base setup for the clay, but ultimately had to make some running changes throughout the day. I set the truck down with some Gold (clay) compound JConcepts Smoothie slicks installed and made a few passes on the straight while nobody was on the track to set the clutch. With that done, I made my way to the drivers stand and took to the track. This track is quite large - a little larger than the outdoor dirt track I normally go to, so I could have geared up another tooth on the pinion if I wanted, but speed was decent, so I left things at 18/84, so I would know that temps would stay okay while I concentrated on suspension setup & handling.

As I made my way around the track for the first few laps, I noticed two things right away. The first being how super smooth the truck was going over the jumps, and second, that the truck didn't have as much mid-corner steering as it should. The new shock setup was simply amazing - and I think what surprised me the most was the fact that I could actually feel the difference in the trucks jumping/landing ability with such a relatively minor change. As for the mid-corner steering, I knew I had to make some changes. Before I went to this track I knew that I would have to lighten up the suspension a bit, which I did, but it became obvious to me that it wasn't quite light enough. After the first run, I came back to the pits and immediately dug out the new pair of lighter springs I brought with me. I went from 4.10lb. front springs to 3.75lb., and from 2.40lb. rears to 2.20lb. I wanted to lighten the weight of the shock oil all around too, but I hate doing that trackside with all the dirt around, so I decided to save that for when I got home. I was running 37.5wt in front and 35wt in the rear, but since have changed to 35wt in front and 30wt in the rear to go with the new spring combo. I also moved the front shock upper mounting location back to the location I had it at when I ran outdoors - one more position out. I had moved it in one hole to try out on the clay, but that didn't work well. With these simple adjustments, the truck once again had good steering throughout the turns. The lighter spring combination didn't have any negative effects on the trucks jumping/landing abilities either - I was a little concerned about that when I made the change initially.

I continued to run my second & third battery packs without anymore setup changes, and just enjoyed running on this nice track. Most of the time it was either just me on the track, or at most 2-3 other guys. The track had a fair number of people there for being the morning after a race night - mostly regulars that I could tell. I don't think they quite knew what to make of me or my truck though. They seemed nice enough, but had very little interaction with me in my time there. Many times running by myself that day, though, made it tough to gauge lap times compared to whatever is "normal". I suppose my only measurement for the bulk of the day would be that more of the guys that did run with wound up moving over for me as I passed them, than I had to for them. So I took that as a rough estimate that my speed/lap times seemed to be on the upper end of the scale for whatever the average is there.

By my fourth pack of the day I had a pretty good rhythm going, but about half way through that pack I hung a pipe, and tore a rear tire on one of the metal spikes they use to hold the piping in place. Thankfully the slicks I was running were old and pretty worn out. I did have other clay tires with me that would have worked as well, but knowing I had that long (hour and a half) ride home in front of me, I decided to call it a day.

Once home, I cleaned everything up and made the rest of the adjustment/changes (shock oil, etc.) while they were fresh in my mind. I did receive one thing that I ordered (o.k., I just couldn't resist). That being a cool battery hold down in carbon fiber with some nice blue anodized thumb nuts to hold it down. In my defense, it was on sale for only $6, and looks way better that the Rustler posts/clip setup it had (Yes, I have a problem - but it's more carbon fiber!... only 6 bucks...). Here's how that whole (awesome) thing looks...

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I would have spent the six bucks on that carbon fiber battery hold down as well. Thanks for the update on your truck. Always nice to hear how it runs.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

MaXDee, I second that! The CF strap and blue accent buttons are nice finishing touches, and it just looks great. If I were to do a clay/dirt/outdoor track, I would also go with the G-10 lower and CF upper pieces...super! Is this a venue that you could see yourself entering some races with? Did you see many rear motored vehicles there or were they all mids?

That's really cool that you noticed such a difference between the suspension dampers. Weren't the previous set pretty good as well or no? Or is it that the fox shocks are just that much better? I was reading about them and saw something on a TA site where the said the TiNi shafts were for more durability and the chromed shafts were for smoothness.

I don't see a transponder on deck, maybe it's hidden somewhere?

Regarding the shocks truck/buggy length...I think this is why I was having a hard time using stiff springs while maintaining a low ride height...I think the overall length was too much to achieve both stiff springs and a low ride height without using limiters...I'm looking forward to seeing how a correct setup works! Thanks for the tips, quite a big difference between the truck and buggy lengths.

Thanks for the update, I love hearing about your adventures...also like seeing the rig.
    MTFBWY

Thanks much, guys - I really appreciate it. Synnergy, I didn't see a single rear motored vehicle of any type there the entire day. All the buggy's were B6's, B6.1's , or Losi 22's, and all the trucks were either T5M, T6.1, or SC5/SC6, and that was pretty much it. Oh, I did see one B74 4 wheeler there too.

The standard Associated shocks are really nice & pretty smooth in their own right, but the Fox Kashima coated shocks with all the other goodies are just that much better. Generally, the TiNi shafts are used more for dirt/clay applications for the very reason you mentioned - they are more durable, and not as susceptible to pitting as the chrome shafts. The chrome shafts are even smoother, but would be another maintenance item to have to replace on a regular basis if run on dirt - otherwise, once pitted, they would constantly tear seals and leak.

I haven't put the transponder on this setup yet since I'm still dialing in the chassis & not ready to race it yet. Also, the electronics layout may change slightly before then as well, not sure - I'm kind of limited by wire lengths at the moment. I'll probably see if I can tuck it under the front plate in the nose, that's where I had it kind of hidden in the old ProLine chassis. I definitely do see this track and/or track type as something I'd like to race on. Being so far it may be difficult to get to on a regular basis, but I should be able to make it out there every now and then.

Even if you don't go with the big expense of building some Kashima shocks, I'm sure just getting the proper lengths for the shorter arm buggy's will make a world of difference in the performance on the carpet. If you weren't able to get a low enough ride height previously, I'll bet it will be night and day how it handles when you're able to set it up with both the stiff springs and a low ride height.

Good luck & keep us posted on the progress!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112