Thread: New Here!

RC poster

New Here!

Sup peeps,

New here!
    Just wanted to introduce myself & say hi to ya'l. I'm kinda new to the RC hobby, bout a month & half. I had started out with a wltoys 12423 (which I wish I had known about traxxas before purchasing). But I did learn a lot on the electrical & mechanics of it while having to make many mods & repairs to it lol.

And that's how I ended up here lol, looking for something of better quality & more importantly, a REAL support team. Something that will hold up some unintentional crashes a bit better & room for upgrades.

So I started out with the Rustler XL-5, 2WD car. Fun right out of the box for off road riding. I prefer road racing though, so I had to modify the shocks by using the included shock limiters. That worked like a charm, no more rollovers lol. I did install the included pinion & spur upgrade for faster speeds. While it did added some good speed, I found it to cause the motor to heat up quite quickly. Even while doing long speed runs. My meshing was proper tight enough to still get a sheet of paper between the gears. So I put back on the original gears for now.

Next will come the brushless upgrade. I'm trying to find a good combo of kV, gear ratio, & battery to be able to get really good high speeds without overheating issues, the "Goldie Locks" of RC setup lol.

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the forum!
    I had a vxl Rustler for a while and they are an absolute blast even on 2s Lipo.
    What motor and esc combo you upgrade to would be largely determined by how fast you want to go and what battery you want to run.
    I have found that all the traxxas 2wd models are pretty quick on. 3000-4000kv motor on 2s. 3 s ( the Stock Velineon traxxas system in the Brushless models is 3500kv I believe . if you are feeling froggy. But that is my opinion. Some people go crazy and make some pretty extreme builds with 1/8 scale or larger motors on 4s and up.

Welcome!! Keep us posted about your progress and good luck!
    MTFBWY

Any reason you didn't start with the 4-tech for road racing?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Any reason you didn't start with the 4-tech for road racing?
    Any reason why this comment is helpful, just seems like youíre(new guy who bought one or more of everything)saying this is rude. Maybe he didnít know, maybe he wanted 2wd, maybe he didnít have the funds, maybe he wanted more than .25 inches of travel.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    I had a vxl Rustler for a while and they are an absolute blast even on 2s Lipo.
    What motor and esc combo you upgrade to would be largely determined by how fast you want to go and what battery you want to run.
    I have found that all the traxxas 2wd models are pretty quick on. 3000-4000kv motor on 2s. 3 s ( the Stock Velineon traxxas system in the Brushless models is 3500kv I believe . if you are feeling froggy. But that is my opinion. Some people go crazy and make some pretty extreme builds with 1/8 scale or larger motors on 4s and up.
    Thanks!
    Yeah, the velineon setup comes with a 3500kV motor & handles up to 3S batteries.
    And yes, I have seen some pretty crazy setups out there on these cars, even a Rustler doing 100+mph, which is insane lol. Would hate to see that hit bump or wall at that speed!! 😆 I think I will stick to the 50-60mph range lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Any reason why this comment is helpful, just seems like you’re(new guy who bought one or more of everything)saying this is rude. Maybe he didn’t know, maybe he wanted 2wd, maybe he didn’t have the funds, maybe he wanted more than .25 inches of travel.

It's not rude! I'm just curious since it seems more economical to get a road car versus converting a buggy into one.

I'm always curious as to reasons why people do what they do...it wasn't an attack in any way, unlike your unhelpful comment.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It's not rude! I'm just curious since it seems more economical to get a road car versus converting a buggy into one.

I'm always curious as to reasons why people do what they do...it wasn't an attack in any way, unlike your unhelpful comment.
    Well done. You win. My comment was directed at you, not the OP. You seem to have some snide comment about most threads, I donít buy your retort, but Iím sure you donít care of I do. Iíll just walk away from this one, other threads youíve ďcontributed toĒ lead me to believe youíre always right. Enjoy

Well done. You win. My comment was directed at you, not the OP. You seem to have some snide comment about most threads, I donít buy your retort, but Iím sure you donít care of I do. Iíll just walk away from this one, other threads youíve ďcontributed toĒ lead me to believe youíre always right. Enjoy

Got an example?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Got an example?
    3S on Grass gearing, you just seem to have to right and to argue until someone relents. Maybe Iím wrong, I donít know you,
    Just my perception. I will not add to this little disagreement further, back to the guy with the new Rustler.

RC poster

We all know what "curiosity" did to the kitty lol. But if you must know ��
    Like I said, I'm still fairly new to the hobby. I don't really have a hobby shop around me that carries traxxas. So I wasn't about to spend a large chunk of $ on a car that I didn't know if it was gona be worth it. The Rustler I picked up was only $159, I already had several lipos & a really nice smart digital balance charger. All I needed aside the car was a battery adapter to go from dean to Traxxas ID. I also like the flexibility of switching between off road & speed racing with easy swappable parts. Plus, as an engineer, I love to tinker. I like disassembling, modifying & testing different configuration results.
    Now that I know the build quality of traxxas, I will most likely be getting 1 or 2 more vehicles to play with.
    So there you have it lol!

3S on Grass gearing, you just seem to have to right and to argue until someone relents. Maybe I’m wrong, I don’t know you,
    Just my perception. I will not add to this little disagreement further, back to the guy with the new Rustler.

On that thread I was attacked for contradicting myself...I didn't! I was very clear that they had no trouble on SHORT grass! Maybe you shouldn't go around attacking people if you dont understand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirullee74 View Post
    We all know what "curiosity" did to the kitty lol. But if you must know ��
    Like I said, I'm still fairly new to the hobby. I don't really have a hobby shop around me that carries traxxas. So I wasn't about to spend a large chunk of $ on a car that I didn't know if it was gona be worth it. The Rustler I picked up was only $159, I already had several lipos & a really nice smart digital balance charger. All I needed aside the car was a battery adapter to go from dean to Traxxas ID. I also like the flexibility of switching between off road & speed racing with easy swappable parts. Plus, as an engineer, I love to tinker. I like disassembling, modifying & testing different configuration results.
    Now that I know the build quality of traxxas, I will most likely be getting 1 or 2 more vehicles to play with.
    So there you have it lol!
    Well, that makes sense with going back and forth. I was wondering if perhaps it had to do with rear wheel drive and drifting or something.

Personally, I'm not much of a modder, but I like to understand them...they tend to be very technical and can offer insights to us non-modders.

I'm not against modders by any means...I learn a lot from them. I'm just too lazy to want to fix my cars let alone mod them!

You'll have to post pictures when you can.

Sup peeps,

New here!
    Just wanted to introduce myself & say hi to ya'l.
    Welcome to the club. Hope to be able to offer help when the problems arise. Till then have fun and bash hard.

RC poster

Pinion & Spur upgrade

Here's a short clip of the tires ballooning from just adding the included pinion (28T) & spur gear (86T) upgrade.
    Tried to upload a pic of the car with the shell on, but I can only see the option to load a pic from a URL only, not the local machine.
    This puppy whacked me on the side on my foot at full speed on the grass Sunday & I still have a nice big bruise lol, thanks God it wasn't full speed on the pavement

That's pretty slick!

What kind of body does it have? Is it a buggy or aftermarket street/muscle/hot rod?

I found a nice rat rod body that would look good on that...I don't know if it would fit though.

RC poster
    That's pretty slick!

What kind of body does it have? Is it a buggy or aftermarket street/muscle/hot rod?

I found a nice rat rod body that would look good on that...I don't know if it would fit though.
    Not sure of the body name but it's stock... red, black & white.
    Here's a link to the body being sold on ebay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283600934354

I haven't had this guy for too long, bout 1.5 week. I did find a clear body that one can custom paint themselves. My wife's an artist so I may let her have some fun lol.

Not sure of the body name but it's stock... red, black & white.
    Here's a link to the body being sold on ebay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283600934354

I haven't had this guy for too long, bout 1.5 week. I did find a clear body that one can custom paint themselves. My wife's an artist so I may let her have some fun lol.
    Oh...for some reason I pictured a buggy...must've gotten confused with the bandit.

RC poster
    Yeah, not sure of the body style, kinda like a rally car & almost a wannabe stampede lol.

I'm currently looking at a goolrc 3500kv w/ ESC combo running about $37. Figure I would test it out to see how a 3500kv brushless motor runs on it before spending $170 on the vxl3 velineon brushless setup. If it runs nice, then i will get it. If not, oh well, I still have a brushless motor & ESC upgrade for my cheapy wltoys 12423, whom I call "Franky", short for Frankenstein, due to all the mods done to him lol.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you order that body it will come almost done, if not all the way. Find the same style,
    Just clear and let her have some fun. Also the GoolRC motors are good, there escís are not, Iíd pick up a Hobbywing esc for your application. Theyíre easy and reliable. Iíve seen too many GoolRC escís catch on fire, this ruins more than the esc many times.

RC poster
    If you order that body it will come almost done, if not all the way. Find the same style,
    Just clear and let her have some fun. Also the GoolRC motors are good, there esc’s are not, I’d pick up a Hobbywing esc for your application. They’re easy and reliable. I’ve seen too many GoolRC esc’s catch on fire, this ruins more than the esc many times.

Awsome, thanks for the tip & info. yeaaahhh, no fires please lol!
    I was also looking at some of the hobbywing setups. They seem to have decent stuff & fairly priced.

And yeah, I saw the clear bodies. The ebay link I posted was to show the body I currently have that came with the car. not sure how to post pics here, it only gives me the option to load pics from a URL.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Awsome, thanks for the tip & info. yeaaahhh, no fires please lol!
    I was also looking at some of the hobbywing setups. They seem to have decent stuff & fairly priced.

And yeah, I saw the clear bodies. The ebay link I posted was to show the body I currently have that came with the car. not sure how to post pics here, it only gives me the option to load pics from a URL.
    You can download Tapatalk on your phone and post pictures in that app directly from your phone. Itís what I use

RC poster
    You can download Tapatalk on your phone and post pictures in that app directly from your phone. Itís what I use

Ok, thanks. Just downloaded it.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Ahh, there we go. This works!

RC poster
    And here's Franky lol, this is what got me into the hobby & made me find a real rc car!