Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your indoor track closing. I feel your pain. My indoor carpet track closed down a little over 2 years ago, forcing me to go to the outdoor track, Like You, in the hot South Florida summer heat.

What other Hobbies do you enjoy with your family just out of curiosity?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Thanks, MaXDee. We all enjoy hiking - unfortunately also somewhat weather dependent, and target shooting at the range not too far from us.
    Knowledge gained is lost forever if not passed on.

Sorry to hear about the track closing. If my local track closed, not sure what I would do. Kinda why I do a lot to help them out in multiple ways.

You could always convert the Rustler into a monster truck.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    That's too bad to hear about the track closing, out where I live the nearest RC shop is 40-50 minutes drive away after the shops closed down on by one. Unfortunately the population that is supplementing the people leaving the state are more interested in getting their kids in tutoring clubs, soccer leagues, and cricket teams than letting them be kids and get into what we consider as normal hobbies.
    I'm sure somewhere in the country, people are wondering why all these new people moving into town are into "them darn radio control cars, why don't they have a normal hobby?"
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingTigerDad View Post
    I found out earlier that SCVRC (Santa Clarita Valley Radio Control), the carpet track that I run on, is closing their doors permanently as of today...That leaves me (and all the other carpet racers) with no carpet track in the area to run on for hundreds of miles - the next closest carpet track being 702 Raceway in Las Vegas...Do I convert everything I have over to dirt...or is it time for an extended break from RC altogether?

Sorry to hear about the closure, as a few in my area, including the largest RC/hobby retailers (D&H hobby) closed somewhat recently. As for "carpet racing", I have no knowledge, or experience, in that arena. I don't even think any exist in the SF Bay Area (or, at least, in the South Bay). As far as I'm aware...until I can search more...the only tracks we have are an indoor flat (primarily for cars) track at Sheldon's Hobbies, and Nor-Cal Hobbies, which had an indoor dirt stadium track, and (on weekends) an outdoor asphalt track (essentially, the parking lot converted). With that being said, and work me not knowing what vehicle you have, my only suggestion would be, "Dirt, baby...dirt!!!". I recently bought the new Traxxas Rustler 4x4 VXL, and it's a total blast. I haven't started any race-work upgrades ..yet...but I will very soon.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

The End of the Carpet

I found out earlier that SCVRC (Santa Clarita Valley Radio Control), the carpet track that I run on, is closing their doors permanently as of today. They posted the announcement on their Facebook page, and there was also a mention on LiveRC here; https://www.liverc.com/news/announce...ing_the_doors/

That leaves me (and all the other carpet racers) with no carpet track in the area to run on for hundreds of miles - the next closest carpet track being 702 Raceway in Las Vegas. I still have the outdoor track - Hot Rod Hobbies to run on, but running there can be very sporadic with heat issues in summer, and rain in the winter. Also, the two surfaces are about as polar opposites as you can get.

This news leaves me both extremely sad (as I hate to see any RC facility go out of business), and with a decision to make. Do I convert everything I have over to dirt so I can run there? Or is it time for an extended break from RC altogether? Don't really know what direction I'll go, so for now I think I'll take some time to think about things and pursue some of the other hobby's that my family and I enjoy.
    Ugggggghh.

Maybe a new or different track will pop up sometime as someone decides to carry the torch, that sure leaves a carpetless void in a very populated area!

You could move the family up here!

I know you guys will figure something out. At least there is still that larger outdoor track! Keep your head up and make the best out of whatever you can, I know you will.

Your living room carpet is gonna get real torn up now...
    MTFBWY

So, I've been away for a little while on some other pursuits, but never too far away from our hobby. I've actually converted both mine & my wife's trucks back to dirt setups a few months ago, but have only recently (last weekend) been to the outdoor dirt track. And that was only with my wife's truck to test it out and verify the previous dirt setup still worked well. Even though this truck is ready (or at least was ready) for the dirt, I have something much bigger planned for this truck now.

While I was away and not running this truck, I had a chance to really think about what I wanted to do with it. So now the next evolution of this truck coming - and has actually begun, as of this past weekend. It will be another major transformation with a completely new direction. Rest assured it will still be designed for, and used on an off road track for racing, as that's what I enjoy the most (never been into bashing/crawling/on-road/oval, etc.). But it for sure will be a new truck (again!) with another new mission to accomplish. Get ready for Racing Rustler 2.1D (??)

RC Qualifier
    So, I've been away for a little while on some other pursuits, but never too far away from our hobby. I've actually converted both mine & my wife's trucks back to dirt setups a few months ago, but have only recently (last weekend) been to the outdoor dirt track. And that was only with my wife's truck to test it out and verify the previous dirt setup still worked well. Even though this truck is ready (or at least was ready) for the dirt, I have something much bigger planned for this truck now.

While I was away and not running this truck, I had a chance to really think about what I wanted to do with it. So now the next evolution of this truck coming - and has actually begun, as of this past weekend. It will be another major transformation with a completely new direction. Rest assured it will still be designed for, and used on an off road track for racing, as that's what I enjoy the most (never been into bashing/crawling/on-road/oval, etc.). But it for sure will be a new truck (again!) with another new mission to accomplish. Get ready for Racing Rustler 2.1D (??)
    I can't wait for this. Are you going to continue on in this thread with it, or start a brand new one

I can't wait for this. Are you going to continue on in this thread with it, or start a brand new one

Thanks, MaxDee. I'll be continuing it here... I really don't like having to keep track of a bunch of separate little threads, and I thinks it's easier and more fun for anyone interested to be able to follow the progress and/or evolution of this truck.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, MaxDee. I'll be continuing it here... I really don't like having to keep track of a bunch of separate little threads, and I thinks it's easier and more fun for anyone interested to be able to follow the progress and/or evolution of this truck.
    Perfect!

Welcome Back!!
    MTFBWY

Thanks Synnergy, it's good to be back, especially with a renewed sense of purpose for this truck. It may take a little while to get everything together - I plan on having to do a lot of hand-fitting, and custom modifying of this new setup, but it will be worth it once it's completed.

In the meantime, here's a (very) small teaser picture...

With a little determination (and a magnifying glass) a person might be able to figure out something from this teaser. But even if you suspect you have, I guarantee it won't turn out how you might think. Also think it's going to be too different from the existing setup to call it a 2.1D version - more like a 3.0D.

HA! I have missed seeing that red carpet!! I figured all your home's indoor carpet would be in terrible shape considering the track closure!!

I think I recognize the bulkhead....but yeah I have no idea. I was thinking maybe you were thinking dirt oval or something. I can't wait to see...I just barely forgave you for the last time you pulled this secrecy stunt!
    MTFBWY

Yeah, you'd think the carpet would be trashed by now, but actually the truck is in pieces and completely disassembled for this conversion - only about a third back together right now as I wait for more parts, and fabricate more solutions to make it just the way I envision.

Never been into the roundy round racing, although the outdoor dirt track does have a separate dirt oval as well - fun to watch once in awhile, but not really my thing for racing as a driver.

As far as the clandestine cloak and dagger goes, once again, it will be well worth the wait. Something one of kind and unique that I know you'll appreciate...

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, you'd think the carpet would be trashed by now, but actually the truck is in pieces and completely disassembled for this conversion - only about a third back together right now as I wait for more parts, and fabricate more solutions to make it just the way I envision.

Never been into the roundy round racing, although the outdoor dirt track does have a separate dirt oval as well - fun to watch once in awhile, but not really my thing for racing as a driver.

As far as the clandestine cloak and dagger goes, once again, it will be well worth the wait. Something one of kind and unique that I know you'll appreciate...
    You're killing me Small's!

What if you were making a buggy!? Put a wing on'it!
    MTFBWY

RC Racer
    FTD, what aftermarket springs did you use when using the STRC shocks still? Trying to find several options for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Is_It_Broken? View Post
    FTD, what aftermarket springs did you use when using the STRC shocks still? Trying to find several options for this.
    I used the old Losi springs - not the 12mm one's for the 22 series of vehicles, but the one's that were used on the XXX series of vehicles. They were a perfect fit and had a large selection of different rates to choose from. The fronts were 2" length & the rears 2.5" length. Here is a list of them with part numbers, rates & color coding;

Fronts
    Losi Part #
    LOSA5128 2" Spring 2.5 Rate (Red)
    LOSA5129 2" Spring 2.9 Rate (Orange)
    LOSA5130 2" Spring 3.2 Rate (Silver)
    LOSA5132 2" Spring 3.5 Rate (Green)
    LOSA5134 2" Spring 3.8 Rate (Blue)
    LOSA5135 2" Spring 4.1 Rate (Black)

Rear
    Losi Part #
    LOSA5144 2.75" Spring 1.4 Rate (Gold)
    LOSA5146 2.75" Spring 1.6 Rate (Gray)
    LOSA5147 2.75" Spring 1.8 Rate (White)
    LOSA5148 2.75" Spring 2.0 Rate (Yellow)
    LOSA5150 2.5" Spring 2.3 Rate (Pink)
    LOSA5152 2.5" Spring 2.6 Rate (Red)
    LOSA5154 2.5" Spring 2.9 Rate (Orange)
    LOSA5156 2.5" Spring 3.4 Rate (Silver)
    LOSA5158 2.5" Spring 3.7 Rate (Green)
    LOSA5160 2.5" Spring 4.1 Rate (Blue)

These are getting harder to find these days, but if you're diligent, you may still find them here or there on Amazon or eBay, and a few online hobby store sellers like RC Planet, etc.
    Last edited by FlyingTigerDad; 05-09-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Well, I spent the weekend working on the new setup and made a great deal of progress. However, there are still many solutions that need to be worked out, and a great deal fabrication work that still needs to be completed. I got to a point so far where I need to acquire a few things to be able to move forward. All of that being said, it will take a number of weeks to get these items and fabricate the pieces I need - so, in the meantime I thought I would spill the beans a little and reveal what I'm working on. I'll start with the "full" picture of the teaser posted earlier....

And for the really big reveal....

And no, this is not going to be a buggy....

I have way too much to go into about all the details & particulars of things to get into it at the moment with the limited time I have, so for now enjoy...

RC Racer
    very cool project!

RC Qualifier
    A 2wd mid motor truggy. I dig it. Definitely different from the norm. BTW, where did you get the aluminum chassis?

Thanks guys. MaXDee, your right on the money - Racing Rustler 3.0D (MM) is a 2wd mid-motor Truggy. I still love my trucks, but wanted something unique. The chassis is actually made of G-10 - it's another custom Factory Works prototype setup that I worked on with Jeff. The lower plate is the black G-10, and all the rest - upper plate, shock towers, braces, steering rack bar, etc. is all carbon fiber. This was designed this way specifically for dirt/clay track applications.

The body is also just a very old, beat up one leftover from the clay track days that I used for a mock-up tester to solve some body mounting issues. I'll have others on there later, and possibly some actual Truggy body's from other manufacturer's.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys. MaXDee, your right on the money - Racing Rustler 3.0D (MM) is a 2wd mid-motor Truggy. I still love my trucks, but wanted something unique. The chassis is actually made of G-10 - it's another custom Factory Works prototype setup that I worked on with Jeff. The lower plate is the black G-10, and all the rest - upper plate, shock towers, braces, steering rack bar, etc. is all carbon fiber. This was designed this way specifically for dirt/clay track applications.

The body is also just a very old, beat up one leftover from the clay track days that I used for a mock-up tester to solve some body mounting issues. I'll have others on there later, and possibly some actual Truggy body's from other manufacturer's.
    Awesome! Will the G10 chassis be available to us peasants?

RC Racer
    I like it! Very cool ride! I wonder how much weight you saved?

Awesome! Will the G10 chassis be available to us peasants?

Haha!! Yes, all of the Factory Works products that Synnergy and I have purchased and shown, both prototype and regular production, are available to the masses. You only need to contact Jeff Malar at Factory Works via e-mail and let him know what you'd like and he can make it happen for you.

RC Qualifier
    Sweet! Is there a price tag on this for the masses that you know of?

Quote Originally Posted by danner View Post
    I like it! Very cool ride! I wonder how much weight you saved?
    Thanks danner. I don't have an exact weight saving figure as of yet, since all the electronics are not in & wired up and several other things are not completed yet. Best guess for now is about 100 grams lighter than my old setup with the Pro-Line Pro-MT aluminum chassis.

Just curious, as this is for the 2WD version, but, is there a chassis for the 4x4 version? The only aftermarket Slash 4x4 chassis I'm currently aware of is the SSC8, by Shining Star Chassis, and is like to know if there are other options (not that I dislike SSC...just trying to find out if there are other options).

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.

Sweet! Is there a price tag on this for the masses that you know of?

The complete chassis setup, the way you see it here - G-10 main chassis, other pieces in carbon fiber with the custom delrin steering components is $165 complete with shipping included.

RC Qualifier
    The complete chassis setup, the way you see it here - G-10 main chassis, other pieces in carbon fiber with the custom delrin steering components is $165 complete with shipping included.
    Not a bad price. Will he fabricate a chassis for any type of vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Just curious, as this is for the 2WD version, but, is there a chassis for the 4x4 version? The only aftermarket Slash 4x4 chassis I'm currently aware of is the SSC8, by Shining Star Chassis, and is like to know if there are other options (not that I dislike SSC...just trying to find out if there are other options).

Yes, Factory Works makes custom Slash and Slash 4X4 chassis as well. Check out their Facebook page for a small idea of some of the things that they can do/make - https://www.facebook.com/factoryworksrc/

Not a bad price. Will he fabricate a chassis for any type of vehicle?

For the most part - if you ask nice & say pretty please...

RC Qualifier
    For the most part - if you ask nice & say pretty please...
    With sugar on top no less

RC Qualifier
    I just sent Jeff an email over at factory works.

Yes, Factory Works makes custom Slash and Slash 4X4 chassis as well. Check out their Facebook page for a small idea of some of the things that they can do/make - https://www.facebook.com/factoryworksrc/
    I don't have, nor will I use, Facebook. Is there a website?

I just sent Jeff an email over at factory works.

Good deal. He's usually pretty quick to respond. As far as the custom stuff goes, it depends on what you're looking to do. What I've done so far is fairly easy to accomplish, as it's really only slightly modifying the existing SRT-R chassis to adapt to a mid-motor arrangement, so not an entirely new design. He seems to do more Traxxas products than anything else, but has done a number of Tamiya, Kyosho, and Associated stuff as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    I don't have, nor will I use, Facebook. Is there a website?

There is a website, but it's not as up to date as the facebook page. It will have the e-mail link, if you want to contact them, though. http://www.factoryworks.com/

Now we're talking. And it has a wing!!!! YES!!! 7.5...and being MM you will be able stay on throttle in the air...it's gonna fly!

I like that bottom g-10 deck...have you measured it? I think it is slightly thinner than the 3mm carbon decks. Remember, if you want some cvd axles, the MIP c-cvd fits perfectly with the length of the protrac arms.

I look forward to seeing the details (as your time allows.) I know how long it takes to dial everything in.

Take a look at this aluminum servo mount...it sets the servo slightly lower than the RPM mounts and is nice and secure with some thread lock. https://www.amainhobbies.com/schumac...hu4327/p260380

It looks like it is coming along nicely!
    MTFBWY

Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    Now we're talking. And it has a wing!!!! YES!!! 7.5...and being MM you will be able stay on throttle in the air...it's gonna fly!

I like that bottom g-10 deck...have you measured it? I think it is slightly thinner than the 3mm carbon decks. Remember, if you want some cvd axles, the MIP c-cvd fits perfectly with the length of the protrac arms.

I look forward to seeing the details (as your time allows.) I know how long it takes to dial everything in.

Take a look at this aluminum servo mount...it sets the servo slightly lower than the RPM mounts and is nice and secure with some thread lock. https://www.amainhobbies.com/schumac...hu4327/p260380

It looks like it is coming along nicely!
    I figured this version of my truck would be something you'd appreciate and be able to relate to.. Haven't measured the lower deck, but it's definitely thinner - my guess would be about 2.25mm-2.5mm. After I get it up and running I may look into the CVD's for a little better rolling efficiency.

I saw the nice Schumacher aluminum servo mounts from one of your other posts and wanted to use them, but they're currently backordered at Amain - they're on the wishlist though. In the meantime to get this up and running I'm using the same Traxxas SRT (part #2715) servo mounts that the wife's truck has been using - they've held up well, are pretty cheap, and hold things together securely.

The G-10 lower plate seems really solid once everything is bolted together - also very light weight still. I went with that for the bottom simply because of the extremely abrasive dirt surface at the track that will tear up carbon fiber. I'm having a tough time keeping the chassis on the wife's truck protected - one day of running and a new chassis protector is completely destroyed, wouldn't dare run without one. I have been looking into some alternative (clay) tracks as well, but I'm getting ahead of myself (Look out Jason Snyder {Rawspeed/Shortcourseworld}, here I come).

Still have some steering linkage/geometry to work out once I get a selection of servo arms in and can actually moun the servo. As well as some rear camber link placement issues to solve - looking to fabricate something for that. By the way, what do you think of the white plastic dyed black? First time doing that - used the powdered Rit dye, I think it looks really nice in black. May do the wife's in pink next, since it was so easy.

I figured you'd just picked up a new battery box in black...it looks good in those pics! I'm pretty sure we'll see some more pictures closer up as your build continues. I really like the idea of dying the white parts...I'll keep that in mind for sure, thanks for the tip-I didn't even think about it.

I'm pretty sure I like that #2715 a lot better than the rpm mount...although I haven't had a failure, I don't like how soft it is. I'm betting the 2715 is stiffer plastic. You'll like that aluminum mount, it's a nice little detail.

I'm surprised to hear how abrasive the dirt track is on the carbon deck! It makes sense as I think about it, with all the tiny rocks and such. I'm currently using a thicker protek chassis protector...but I'm sure it would get ripped up fast as ours are already showing significant signs of wear from the carpet after appx. 10 hours of drive time! That g-10 ought to be perfect for your application.

It would be neat to compare a few top decks...perhaps one deck in 2mm that extends from the bulkhead all the way to the tranny. The last few weeks I have been slowly figuring out what to do with this other g-10 deck (it's similar to yours but a buggy version,) and one of the considerations I have been mulling over is chassis flexure. As I look at yours now...it may be something to consider. It's like the plastic battery box is the "knuckle" or "joint" in the chassis where there is some torsional flexure. Extending that top deck does add some weight back in there...but that's where carbon shines as a material.

How did you get your tranny to sit flush?
    MTFBWY

RC Racer
    1. You weren't kidding when you said that those springs were hard to find!

2. What class will you erase this in? I'm pretty sure truggies are in 8th scale vehicle, and I'm interested and how this will fit in to the rules.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast