Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    They sure do. All bulkhead & transmission/suspension mounting locations are identical, it's a direct bolt-on replacement with no modifications required.
    Knowledge gained is lost forever if not passed on.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingTigerDad View Post
    They sure do. All bulkhead & transmission/suspension mounting locations are identical, it's a direct bolt-on replacement with no modifications required.
    Great! Thanks.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    How does the truck handle with the aluminum chassis vs the stock plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    How does the truck handle with the aluminum chassis vs the stock plastic?

It handles pretty much the same with either. A slight advantage in steering with a more forward weight bias, and a little better flight characteristics in the air - more level/better control.

Well, I finally made to the track to test out the new "Carpet Edition" setup. I actually have been there twice, and the outdoor track once, since my last update. As usual, I learned quite a bit and made some adjustments/modifications as a result. First things first though - the carpet track maiden voyage. All can say about that, is that it was absolutely brutal. The thin Ozite carpet with no padding and a hardwood sub-floor underneath was exceptionally hard on equipment - worse than any off-road track I've ever run on. The chassis was slapping the floor so bad both myself and another buggy racer actually popped off a motor wire. Traction was, of course, insane, which led to my other big problem - traction rolling. I already had an idea that I would need a sway bar to run effectively on this track, but this first run confirmed it. I could barely make it around the track with any speed at all without flipping the truck on any number of the tighter turns. Needless to say, I didn't stay very long. Even at that when I got home and checked the truck out I found just about every screw not held on by a lock nut was loose. Thankfully, I decided to run the Bulldog body at the last minute instead of the Rustler body. I say that because the body was almost completely destroyed after only 1 and a half packs worth of running. The rear bumper took such a beating that it cracked the trans case at one of the mounting points. Not all the fault of the track or myself, though - there were a bunch of kids with Slash 4x4's playing demolition derby on the track that i got caught up in while trying to get some laps in.

I already had a Pro-Line sway bar kit for the Pro2-SC on back order before I even went to the carpet track, but after a disastrous track session, I knew I wouldn't be going back without one, plus a few more tricks up my sleeve. At first I thought about not going back at all, but then I just got even more determined to figure it out and make it work.

After I got home and calmed down a bit, I thought about what the truck was doing on the track, and what I could do to correct it. The aforementioned sway bar was a must, and I knew I couldn't wait for another discontinued, impossible to get Pro-Line part to arrive. So I found an alternative - a Dynamite sway bar kit for the Slash 2WD that looked almost identical, and was readily available. Next I came to the realization that I've been wrong about something very basic, yet critical - the shocks. As good as I've been able to get the highly modified Ultra's to work, they still lacked something that I can't fix about them - volume. Watching some of the other buggy's & short course trucks from Associated & Losi on the track, they just seemed to land quite a bit easier than what I was able to. Looking at their setup, the only real difference I saw was the 12mm bore shocks as opposed to the 10mm bore Ultra's - which is about 40% or so more volume. When I started my build I thought that shocks like the GTR's were to chunky & heavy for a race truck, not really realizing that all of the other manufacturers had moved to 12mm "big bore" shocks, like the GTR's.

With these things in mind, I knew I would be changing shocks also, but wasn't quite sure as to what. I looked hard at the GTR's, but figured in the end I would wind up with the same problems with adjustability that the Ultra's had - lack of good piston choices & no consistent spring measurements from Traxxas. Ultimately, I found the latest Associated V2 shocks for a great deal and got those to try.

Here's how the sway bar & new shocks look on the truck....

So I made my repairs, put locktite on every screw that went into aluminium, and installed the sway bar & new AE V2 shocks. One of the other things I did was replace the Traxxas rear bumper with an alternate that I modified, and few other little goodies. Those will have to wait for part two of this update, so stay tuned, much more to tell you all about....

My Slash definitely needed swaybars front and rear, I was always wary of mounting a front swaybar without a rear one thinking it would make the truck push too much. The Dynamite piece looks nice.

Carpet is brutal! I only ran it once at 702 raceway, but broke more stuff on my B5M in 3 packs than I did in a year on indoor clay! Good luck with the truck and the shocks. Machined pistons will go a long way towards making those AE shocks smoother. You also generally need to go up in springs on carpet, and traction is the enemy, not your friend!
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Ultimately, I found the latest Associated V2 shocks for a great deal and got those to try.
    Did you get the T5M shocks? It looks like you're running buggy springs, may want to try the truck springs.

Yes, those are T5M shocks all around - looks a little deceiving in the pictures from certain angles. I also got the T5M selection of machined pistons (1.4 thru 1.7) as well as the 3 packs of front & rear springs to try - medium in the rear (2.2lb., 2.3lb. & 2.4lb.) and hard for the front (3.75lb., 3.9lb. & 4.05lb.).

Yes, those are T5M shocks all around - looks a little deceiving in the pictures from certain angles. I also got the T5M selection of machined pistons (1.4 thru 1.7) as well as the 3 packs of front & rear springs to try - medium in the rear (2.2lb., 2.3lb. & 2.4lb.) and hard for the front (3.75lb., 3.9lb. & 4.05lb.).
    Cool.

I think you got the buggy springs, but you may want to take a look at the rear Truck springs (72mm). Looks like a lot of the AE factory guys are running Truck white on the rear for carpet/turf for those shocks --

http://site.petitrc.com/setup/associ...eld2017090910/
    http://site.petitrc.com/setup/associ...a332017031719/

The truck springs are longer and more progressive and fit the T5M shocks a little better. I found on my Slash that the truck springs would help with roll because the rate increases more dramatically, whereas the buggy springs are linear and the springs do not stiffen up as much as you go deeper into the compression. I'm running AE Truck gray springs on my Slash, and will start with that on my Rustler.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Cool.

I think you got the buggy springs, but you may want to take a look at the rear Truck springs (72mm). Looks like a lot of the AE factory guys are running Truck white on the rear for carpet/turf for those shocks --

http://site.petitrc.com/setup/associ...eld2017090910/
    http://site.petitrc.com/setup/associ...a332017031719/

The truck springs are longer and more progressive and fit the T5M shocks a little better. I found on my Slash that the truck springs would help with roll because the rate increases more dramatically, whereas the buggy springs are linear and the springs do not stiffen up as much as you go deeper into the compression. I'm running AE Truck gray springs on my Slash, and will start with that on my Rustler.
    The springs I'm using are the Factory Team optional springs for the T5M/SC5M. You are correct that they are linear compared to the progressive springs that those trucks come with stock. I went with those simply because I never had any luck using progressive springs for off-road (dirt/clay) tracks with the Rustler - it didn't like them much and seemed somewhat inconsistent on various parts of the track. I imagine the difference in length is due to the difference in how they work. I can see where the progressive springs might be of benefit on the carpet though, and may try them out in the future. At any rate, the second half of my track report will explain a lot more of where the truck is at now, and how it did on my latest carpet track run.

So after the beating the truck took at my first carpet track outing, I decided to go back to the outdoor dirt track and something I was much more familiar with. If for no other reason than to confirm in my mind that I still had a viable, decent driving truck. To that point I had only done all of the repairs and installed the new shocks & rear bumper setup. I had already received the sway bar, but didn't put it on yet since it wasn't really necessary for this track.

I took both my boys with me and my youngest sons Slash for him to run as well. We couldn't have asked for a better day to be there. The weather was great (about 75 degrees) with no wind. There were a couple of guys there with some Slash 4WD's and that was it - otherwise it was empty. Anxious to try the new shocks out, I hit the track right away, and immediately felt right at home. After a few laps and some slipper adjustments, I opened it up bit on the jumps to test the shocks. They worked wonderfully and the truck felt great. As usual, the track was dry, hard as a rock & dusty. I had some traction issues, which confused me a little, as I was running the Panther tire setup that had worked very well here before with the same conditions. The truck couldn't have looked that bad out there, though, because as I was running laps I heard a spectator (he looked familiar, like a local buggy club racer) yell out "Hey, your kicking ***** out there, you should race that thing". I was starting to think I missed something in the setup, so I took a break to let the truck cool & think about things. I took my sons Slash out for a quick few laps to make sure all was well with it (it hadn't run on the track in quite awhile) before I turned him loose with it. To my amazement, this thing just hooked up and ripped. Instantly I was blazing around the track much faster than I could with my truck! Now I was really confused. So, I gave my son his truck to go have fun with, and then it hit me... compound & temperature (Duh). That was the difference - the Panthers that I was running were a "medium/soft" compound, and the Blockades that were on his truck (all around) were M3 soft compound. The Panthers worked so well in last few times there because the temperature was well over 100 - this time it was 75. So while he was having fun on the track, I switched to my semi-worn out Edge's in M3 compound on the front & some new Suburbs in M3 for the rear. By this time the guys with the Slash 4x4's left, leaving the track all to just my son & I, which it remained all ours for the rest of the day I hit the track with the new tire combo, and bingo! I was able to drive the truck at full force. For the remainder of the day I tore the track up, laid down some blistering laps, and had the best time with the truck that I've ever had. This was certainly sweet vindication, considering just the week before on the carpet I had the worst time I've ever had with the truck.

Besides getting lucky by having the track to ourselves and great weather, this was also the last weekend for this particular track layout - the one they used for the big Off-Road Shootout race, which I really liked as well...

And a parting pit-side shot.

So after this great day on the outdoor track, it was back to the carpet - with even more determination than ever to get it right there too. Final details to follow...

Track looks fun, glad the Rustler was dialed there. Just curious, did you have any problems spacing the shocks out enough on the Anza shock tower so they don’t rub?

Now I was ready to attack the carpet. After having my best day at the dirt track, I was pinpoint focused on making this thing work on the carpet track, or die trying! I made the necessary adjustment changes, cleaned the truck of powdery dust and began working on the sway bar. Since this kit was designed for the Slash 2WD, installation was pretty straight forward. I was able to use the 2 steering post screw holes to mount the bracket, just used a couple of millimeter longer screws and had to thin out some material from the control arms behind the lower shock mount screws so the ball ends on the turnbuckles would fit. That was pretty much it - everything fell into place with no interference at all. I started with only the front bar since the Rustler has a short wheelbase, the rear end will follow what the front does, to a degree. In addition, being designed for the much heavy Slash, this bar is very thick - 2mm to be exact. Most stadium truck/buggy sway bars tend to run 1.2-1.6mm by comparison, so I figured this would be a little overkill if nothing else.

For the rear bumper, I wanted something that both mounted to and protected the chassis, but also that didn't attach to the transmission case at all. I found a T-Bone racing one that fit the bill fairly nice. The only thing about their bumpers/skid plates is that they're huge and grey - neither of which I care for. Fortunately, this one came in black, and equally as fortunate, I have a nice new dremel that can hack things up no problem So, this is what i got to start with.

I cut down both sides to the width of the chassis, and reshaped the back to look like a proper racing stadium truck bumper that is also asymmetrical to cover/protect the motor as well. I don't have any good pictures yet of that, but you can get an idea from some pictures below. While I was at it, I needed a new chassis protector, so I found an awesome looking/tough one online that I installed at the same time.

With this all done, I was ready. I just needed to pick my time. Since the weekends can be hit or miss with crowds, I decided to take a vacation day last Friday and dedicate it my mission. That worked out really well. I got there shortly after they opened, and there was only one racer there running laps with a 4WD buggy. I was also greeted with a "modified" track layout - they didn't change the whole thing, just modified the portion in front of the drivers stand with a series of turns/tiny single jumps to make it more technical than it was previously. Here is the current layout.

Anxious/nervous to get started, I put in the first pack and headed for the drivers stand. By this time the 4WD buggy racer was packing up & leaving, so once again I found myself as the sole person there. I planned on starting out slow (to avoid any major disasters) and building up speed as I felt the truck out. Well, after the first couple of turns that went out the window . As soon as I turned the wheel on the first turn I could tell that I pretty much nailed the setup. The truck was glued to the track. After remembering to breathe again, I found myself pushing the truck harder and harder through every turn with no hint of a traction roll in sight. Of course, eventually I reached the trucks limits, but once I was at that point it was just a blur around the track. I could go anywhere, in the groove, out of the groove - it just didn't seem to matter. Wherever I ran, the truck just dug in and turned. The overkill sway bar was the missing link in the magic setup for this surface. Even as I pushed the truck tighter and tighter through the apexes, I would run over the sides of the "dots" used to mark the corners, get the truck on two wheels, and then watch it just suck itself back down on all four wheels and rocket away to the next corner. I actually had to work to try to get it to traction roll before it would even come close.

Feeling relieved and rather pleased with myself, I continued to run all by myself for the next few battery packs until a few 2WD buggy racers showed up for practice. As we ran together on the track later in the afternoon, I could tell that I was running very close to their lap times. I was a little over geared going in, but I didn't really care - it was fun to pull away from those guys at will, as I was easily the fastest vehicle on the track. The only negative I noticed all day (besides being a little over geared) was a tendency to lift the inside rear tire on hard, high speed corners coming off the straights. Something I've already corrected with a little stiffer set of front springs. This was easily now my new best day...

So next is another Friday vacation day - any guess as to where you'll find me?
    Last edited by FlyingTigerDad; 10-25-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Nice! Bumper looks good and like a proper rear bumper, I'll have to look into that. Truck sounds like it's driving awesome, good to hear the right setup is achievable, because I've only got one day under my belt and I am, ahem, far from it.

Track looks fun, glad the Rustler was dialed there. Just curious, did you have any problems spacing the shocks out enough on the Anza shock tower so they don’t rub?
    Not at all. If you get the shock tower "kits" instead of just the replacement parts, it comes with nice mounting hardware. Originally for the Ultra shocks I just used their hardware & the stock Ultra bushings. I think I had to use some of the little plastic spacers/limiters that come in the Ultra shock kit in front to space it out a little. For the AE shocks, I used the long Associated bushings all around with no issues.
    Last edited by FlyingTigerDad; 10-25-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Nice! Bumper looks good and like a proper rear bumper, I'll have to look into that. Truck sounds like it's driving awesome, good to hear the right setup is achievable, because I've only got one day under my belt and I am, ahem, far from it.
    Hopefully you can use some of the information here to get a head start or baseline and adjust from there to your track conditions.

Hopefully you can use some of the information here to get a head start or baseline and adjust from there to your track conditions.
    Yup, you gave me a lot of good ideas on what direction to head in. Much appreciated!

RC Qualifier
    To the OP, how do you like driving your racing rustler on the dirt track versus your son's 2wd Slash?

To the OP, how do you like driving your racing rustler on the dirt track versus your son's 2wd Slash?

I find them to be two very different experiences. The Slash is much easier to drive well when properly setup - I think the extra wheelbase and weight tend to make it more forgiving at speed. While the Rustler is much more nimble and faster reacting - you have to be on your toes and really pay attention to what it's doing every second. Overall I still prefer stadium trucks - always have even way before short course trucks existed. To answer your question, though, for pure relaxing fun at the track nothing beats the Slash, for maximum speed and to fine tune track driving skills nothing beats the Rustler. So in the end it really depends on the mood I'm in and what I want to do on the track that day - the vast majority of the time it's just plain going as fast as I can around the track. Which I suppose is where my love of stadium trucks comes from.

What ride height are you running at FTD?

For outdoor off road I run 28mm front, 27mm rear, for indoor clay 26mm front, 25mm rear, and for the carpet I'm at 24mm all the way around. Of course that also depends on the overall diameter of the tires your running for your track conditions, as that will vary slightly from tire to tire. For example, the clay setup is with JConcepts Smoothies, but when I run Pro-Line Primes it winds up being 1mm taller at each end, if that makes sense. Generally, I just set it to arms level in the front & axles level in the rear and it is what it is with whatever tire combo I'm running. The only exception to that is the carpet - there I deliberately set it to 24mm and run slightly below level at each end.

Awesome, thanks. I was running 27mm f/r on indoor clay, but am going to try 26mm. I don't really have any chassis slapping problems oddly enough, whereas my TLR truck will slap at anything under 28mm.

Well, another Friday vacation day, and another great day of running on the carpet. I made my slight change in setup to a stiffer front spring - from 3.75 lb. to 4.05 lb. & geared down a bit, and I was good to go. I got there right as they opened, so once again I had the track all to myself. Also once again, they made some minor changes to the track, adding some small jumps in the turns they added in front of the drivers stand.

Both of the two changes I made worked out perfectly, the front end was now absolutely lock in, and the gear ratio really helped comfortably clear any jump easily without sacrificing straight line speed at all. It was truly a pleasure to drive on this track and just be able to concentrate on my driving skills without having to wonder about setup changes. I also finally ran the Rustler body and got real positive results with it as well. And bonus, because the truck is dialed & I drove nice and clean, it didn't get destroyed. As a matter of fact, nothing broke, got loose, or suffered any damage on the truck at all.

My son gave it try with my truck for a few laps to see if he liked running on carpet - which he did. Now he's asked me to setup his Slash for this track. While he was running, I finally had a chance to get some pictures of the truck on the track. Unfortunately, the lens on my phones camera was dirty (fingerprints I think), so they didn't come out very clear.

So next I think will be to run with my son & his Slash....

Hey, Nice build. I'm not sure if you said this in one of your last posts, but 258 posts would be a lot to read. lol.
    I was wondering, do you have a rough estimate on how much your Rustler cost total? I have a vintage rustler sitting on my shelf which I want to get running, but I'm looking for a good budget to set.
    Thanks!
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas9008 View Post
    Hey, Nice build. I'm not sure if you said this in one of your last posts, but 258 posts would be a lot to read. lol.
    I was wondering, do you have a rough estimate on how much your Rustler cost total? I have a vintage rustler sitting on my shelf which I want to get running, but I'm looking for a good budget to set.
    Thanks!
    Post #84 on page 3 has a breakdown of upgrades/mods with pricing that was done to that point. The way the truck sits now I have about $700 into the mods + the $190 for the truck itself. However, over the last 2 years of tinkering, modifying and upgrading a lot of trial & error was performed that cost a bit as well, as I would experiment with one thing and then if it didn't work I wound up trying something else.

I would estimate that for a good track handling Rustler on a limited budget you could get there for about $200-$300, depending on how far you go with electronics, which are easily the most expensive part of any build. By comparison, the truck I built for my wife with all my spare parts, cost about $80. But I've stuck with the original XL5 speed control & Titan motor that came in my truck for her trucks build, so that was a zero dollar investment. You should check that thread out to get some basic ideas of a real minimal cost, great handling Rustler build. https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...er-Track-Build

As for my truck, I think it's about as far as you can go with this truck, and many things I've done in the latter half of the build, I would consider not necessary, just things that I did because I liked them and wanted to do just to go to the extreme.

Okay, Thanks! I have to say, yours is an awesome build. Plus, I'll have to decide where I want to drive it more. Its probably going to be mainly road and grass so I might have to make a few adjustments compared to what you did.
    I'll definitely check out your other thread for more ideas.
    Thanks!
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

So after the beating the truck took at my first carpet track outing, I decided to go back to the outdoor dirt track and something I was much more familiar with. If for no other reason than to confirm in my mind that I still had a viable, decent driving truck. To that point I had only done all of the repairs and installed the new shocks & rear bumper setup. I had already received the sway bar, but didn't put it on yet since it wasn't really necessary for this track.

I took both my boys with me and my youngest sons Slash for him to run as well. We couldn't have asked for a better day to be there. The weather was great (about 75 degrees) with no wind. There were a couple of guys there with some Slash 4WD's and that was it - otherwise it was empty. Anxious to try the new shocks out, I hit the track right away, and immediately felt right at home. After a few laps and some slipper adjustments, I opened it up bit on the jumps to test the shocks. They worked wonderfully and the truck felt great. As usual, the track was dry, hard as a rock & dusty. I had some traction issues, which confused me a little, as I was running the Panther tire setup that had worked very well here before with the same conditions. The truck couldn't have looked that bad out there, though, because as I was running laps I heard a spectator (he looked familiar, like a local buggy club racer) yell out "Hey, your kicking ***** out there, you should race that thing". I was starting to think I missed something in the setup, so I took a break to let the truck cool & think about things. I took my sons Slash out for a quick few laps to make sure all was well with it (it hadn't run on the track in quite awhile) before I turned him loose with it. To my amazement, this thing just hooked up and ripped. Instantly I was blazing around the track much faster than I could with my truck! Now I was really confused. So, I gave my son his truck to go have fun with, and then it hit me... compound & temperature (Duh). That was the difference - the Panthers that I was running were a "medium/soft" compound, and the Blockades that were on his truck (all around) were M3 soft compound. The Panthers worked so well in last few times there because the temperature was well over 100 - this time it was 75. So while he was having fun on the track, I switched to my semi-worn out Edge's in M3 compound on the front & some new Suburbs in M3 for the rear. By this time the guys with the Slash 4x4's left, leaving the track all to just my son & I, which it remained all ours for the rest of the day I hit the track with the new tire combo, and bingo! I was able to drive the truck at full force. For the remainder of the day I tore the track up, laid down some blistering laps, and had the best time with the truck that I've ever had. This was certainly sweet vindication, considering just the week before on the carpet I had the worst time I've ever had with the truck.

Besides getting lucky by having the track to ourselves and great weather, this was also the last weekend for this particular track layout - the one they used for the big Off-Road Shootout race, which I really liked as well...

And a parting pit-side shot.

So after this great day on the outdoor track, it was back to the carpet - with even more determination than ever to get it right there too. Final details to follow...
    Does anyone know were you can still get the bulldog body?
    No one stocks it down here in Australia

The Pro-line Bulldog body for the Rustler (Part# 3391-00) has been discontinued for awhile now. There were a few sellers here in the States that had some old/overstock for awhile, but those have been few and far between lately. The last one I got was from a seller on eBay, and that's the last on I've seen available anywhere since then.

The best suggestion I have would be to keep an eye on places like Amazon & eBay - after long dry spells they do (or did, anyway) pop up occasionally, for a brief period at least. Searching Google with the part number & being persistent should eventually payoff.

So I went through the truck again today, got the layer of rubber dust off the body, and confirmed that everything was still undamaged and tight - and it is. I did come across the new Robinson Racing Absolute hardened 18T pinion that I couldn't find when I geared down for the carpet. I used an older well worn Robinson aluminum 18T that I had laying around at the time, so I replaced that while I was at it - 18/84 seems to be perfect for this track.

I also took some detailed pictures of the T-Bone rear bumper/skid plate to illustrate how I modified it into a proper stadium truck bumper.

As you can see it's a bit scrapped up already. This is from it's first, and so far only run on the outdoor dirt track. The last two carpet track runs didn't do anything to the underside of the truck. That's the only disadvantages to running on the outdoor dirt track- extreme tire & undercarriage wear. That's also why I had to replace the old JConcepts clear chassis protector - it got torn up as well. This surface is very abrasive - think of it as running on 60 grit sand paper with dust on top. As a comparison, I've run 3 different days on the carpet with the JConcepts pink compound carpet tires, and they barely show any wear at all, yet one day of running on the outdoor dirt track will take any soft compound tires (M3 or similar) from new to slicks.

Next items on the agenda are to setup my sons Slash for the carpet, and to check out another outdoor dirt track that's about and hour and a half away, that looks like a lot of fun.

As for my truck, I have something special in the works that will be completed within the next week to week and a half. I'll be posting pictures as soon as its completed. In the meantime this is the current track look.

RC Qualifier
    Looking forward to your sons carpet Slash build.

Quote Originally Posted by Blown94 View Post
    Looking forward to your sons carpet Slash build.
    Thanks. And I'm really looking forward to that too. I just ordered the front sway bar for it today! Let the fun begin

Have you tested running no front bumper? I find that it sticks out too far and slams the ground way too easily/much when landing even a little nosedown, and reducing it or removing it altogether makes the truck land so much better. I could run stiffer springs/shock oil, but it's about perfect right now and it seems more like a design flaw than a shock package issue.

I agree that the whole front end design is a bit flawed. I don't like the way the bulkhead attaches to the main chassis, and then is left exposed. On all my prior off road trucks the chassis had the kick up and the bulkhead mounted on top of that, leaving nothing exposed to the ground. I never really thought about not running a bumper - interesting. I do think that it would leave too many of the fragile front end pieces (tie bar, bulkhead etc.) vulnerable to damage, though.

My solution was a customized front bumper made from the Pro2 SC that covers the whole lower part of the bulkhead & attaches with all four bulkhead screws. I also heated and bent it up at an angle closer to the tie bar (thus pulling it back a little) to shorten the lower forward length for more ground clearance. The problem that I ran into, that I was trying to solve with this custom bumper setup, was that the bulkhead itself would scrap the ground (tearing it up), and would catch in the joint where the bulkhead meets the chassis.

I received one small part of the next upcoming phase of the build today. Since it seems like a bit of a slow day on the Rustler forum today, I thought I'd post some pictures as a preview.

So the new decals are custom made, to my specs, by Darkside Designs. The same people that make decals for most of the pro drivers. Hopefully later in the week the rest of the things will be completed & I can post pictures of that next.

Looking pretty flash.
    Definately needs a Rustler decal.

RC Qualifier
    Looking pretty spiffy. No Rustler decals. Let it be a sleeper.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice paint job. I'm digging the stance. I also like the wing being clear. I'm thinking since my moms dog ate my last Rustler body when I was in, I'm due.

Looking pretty spiffy. No Rustler decals. Let it be a sleeper.
    Thanks, MaXDee. I like the "sleeper" effect as well. It's surprising how many people don't know what body it is without a Traxxas ProGraphix paint job - I get asked all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Nice paint job. I'm digging the stance. I also like the wing being clear. I'm thinking since my moms dog ate my last Rustler body when I was in, I'm due.
    Thanks, Grip. I thought you speed run guys would be able to relate to the stance. When setup so low for the carpet, it doesn't sit much higher than your guys' trucks. I've become a big fan of the unpainted wing - don't know why, I just think it looks pretty cool that way. While I like your latest JConcepts Raptor body, (especially the colors) I think the Rustler body probably has an edge in high speed aerodynamics - you should definitely get another for your next one.

Something else I've thought about with regards to you speed run guys - the front sway bar. Having run mine with one on the carpet a few times now & seeing the stability it has to offer, I wonder if it wouldn't help with high speed stability as well?
    Straight line it won't do much of anything, but with even the slightest steering correction/input, I would think it would help avoid any flips at extreme speed. Something to think about, perhaps.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I agree with the Rustler body being a bit better and will look into the sway bar option. The Raptor body is cool, my intention was to get more clearance for the MMX, I've since reconfigured the esc, so it's no longer an issue. My wing will be clear in your honor. The Rustler is purpose built, as is yours.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast