Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Found a Nice Metal Prop

Hey guys, a guy at my LHS bought DCB's today, and he wanted to upgrade to a metal prop on it. We dug around in the props my LHS had on hand, and we found an aftermarket prop that fits perfectly on it. It's an AquaCraft prop, from the GrimRacer boat. It's made out of copper-beryllium-titanium, so you can balance, and sharpen it. The new prop is 45x68, and the stock plastic prop 42x59, so the new one should be a nice increase. I'm planning on heading out tonight with him and trying it out and we're going to compare it to the stock factory plastic one. I'll report back on what we find!

Here's the prop we used in case anyone is curious.

https://vortexhobbies.com/aquacraft-...8-p-49721.html

On a side note, this DCB M41 is huge, pictures do not do it justice! It feels really well built, and the stand it comes with is quite nice. I"m really impressed with the overall quality on it, and I"m super tempted to pick one up for myself...
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 06-11-2016 at 05:58 PM.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Racer
    Hope you guys are impressed with the M41! I haven't heard any feedback from anyone yet. I'm glad they're actually available now. Post back with all the details. I really want one of these.

RC Qualifier
    watch the temperature! the new prop may be to big. Don

I watch his M41 run last night, and wow. It gets up on a plane really, really quick, and it's way faster than I was expecting. It really stable too, he kept trying to flip it in the water and he couldn't. I'm super impressed with it! Here's some pictures I snagged of it while we were at my LHS. Size next to my X-Maxx.

RC poster
    Was wondering how new prop worked out?

Quote Originally Posted by ncsnowboarder86 View Post
    Was wondering how new prop worked out?
    Welcome to the forums!

We haven't clocked any reading between the two yet, but the metal prop does seem to have more low end punch, it seems to get up to speed quicker. Can't tell if the top speed is any higher or not yet though. So far it seems much than stock from what I know.

RC Qualifier
    Is the stock prop that comes with the boat the same as the Spartan? I think I will be starting out with the Prather 215 stainless prop. This is very close to the stock Spartan prop in pitch but much more durable.

RC poster
    Ran mine today and ran into some heat problems. Motor wanted to deform/start to melt the inside of the canopy on 2x 3s 6400 traxxas batteries. Not gonna do 6s with this prop again.

I would be careful running such a large prop. It's bigger in diameter and has a steeper pitch.

If you're going to run a prop like this think of it like running high speed gearing in your Slash 4x4. Keep your acceleration smooth, run in a large area so you can maintain speed and try to keep the boat on plane to reduce drag.

I'd stop and check your motor / ESC temps on a regular basis until you're sure there won't be any issues with a full set of batteries.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

RC Qualifier
    42mm is larger than the stock prop? Wasn't the spartan's prop 42-43mm?
    Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    I would be careful running such a large prop. It's bigger in diameter and has a steeper pitch.

If you're going to run a prop like this think of it like running high speed gearing in your Slash 4x4. Keep your acceleration smooth, run in a large area so you can maintain speed and try to keep the boat on plane to reduce drag.

I'd stop and check your motor / ESC temps on a regular basis until you're sure there won't be any issues with a full set of batteries.

RC Enthusiast
    Stock is 42x59

RC Qualifier
    Does the "59" measure length front to back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostmontanan View Post
    Stock is 42x59

RC poster
    This prop wa's 45x68. Even on 4s the motor wires were getting too hot. Did testing today and kept checking. I found a 42x55 and a 42x66 lifter option to get closer to stock size

Ordered offshore electronics aluminum motor jacket and am waiting on the 42x66 option. Hope it helps out some
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-21-2016 at 01:33 PM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Doug, what do you think about the M41 not having turn fins? I was looking at maybe modifying it and putting on two rudders, each with a single water pick up. Maybe the double rudder will give extra stability at speed. Whats your take on that.

RC Racer
    From the owner manual. Traxxas recommends using props that range in diameter from 38-42mm, with a pitch-to-diameter ratio of about 1.4:1.

I just broke my spare prop today. I just got the boat in the water and it broke. I need a metal prop. Not sure about the one you listed. I'd rather stick to recommendations Traxxas provided. I'm not brave enough to test different sizes yet.

RC Qualifier
    What prop did you end up with?
    IG: @818sFastestRC
    Slash 4x4 138MPH

RC Racer
    The Octura X442 is a good prop to run. You will need to sharpen and balance it.

RC Qualifier
    seems so quite here for now, recommended props are Prather 215 or Octura X442 don't go more than that or else you will have a problem on your esc and motor due to cavitation bigger props needs more current draw it will start slow and gain more speed after, smaller props less cavitation faster start but lower speeds, boats stability is depending on the water behaviour most calm water is at night and morning. Be sure if you get a metal prop sharpen and balance it, you can find it under spartan forum.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC poster

M41 upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Edgemoulic View Post
    seems so quite here for now, recommended props are Prather 215 or Octura X442 don't go more than that or else you will have a problem on your esc and motor due to cavitation bigger props needs more current draw it will start slow and gain more speed after, smaller props less cavitation faster start but lower speeds, boats stability is depending on the water behaviour most calm water is at night and morning. Be sure if you get a metal prop sharpen and balance it, you can find it under spartan forum.
    Just wanted everyone to know that as per Offshore Electrics forum I was directed to use Octura X642 by Dasboata and several others on the forum. I got the prop from Chris's hobbies it came race prepped(balanced and sharpened) Do not try to use a metal prop that has the same specs as the stock prop you will overheat everything. You can run the X642 on the stock set up with little overheating issues however I highly recommend upgrading the cooling system on the M41 at least with a dual pickup rudder and a better cooling jacket. I did the following upgrades to my M41 even before the first run. High power 3/16 flex shaft kit, Hot racing cooling jacket, Hot racing motor mount, OSC dual pickup rudder, larger cooling lines, dual water outlet, electric water pump that runs off the BEC which constantly keeps water flowing even if the boat is not moving or idling along , Seaking 180v3 ESC, Castle creations 6.5mm battery connectors, All powered by the stock motor 1800kv and 2 Max amps 8000mah 150c 3S batteries. I get 25-30 min run times with speeds of 59mph and nothing get more than 95 degrees and is as close to bullet proof as you can get. M41 owners should really check out Offshore electrics for some cool upgrades. Thank you for allowing me to reply here.
    Last edited by Danzuby; 03-21-2018 at 02:30 PM.

RC poster
    Thanks!! Very helpful!!

RC poster
    I run the Octura x642 race prepped(sharpened and balanced) from Chris's hobbies aka Dasboata check out my upgrades just scroll down on this thread.

RC Enthusiast
    There are several props out there that work well. Just so you know I am the one that sells most of these upgrades for the shafts. "rcraceboat" I turn the 5mm to 3/16" so they fit the better props and you use a standard 10/32 nut but most of mine come with a bullet nut. I think the 078 wire drive has been the most popular for the spartan and the m41. X442 is a good choice for the Spartan on 6s but the m41 can take more prop. X642 is good or the M445 is very good. You do need the diameter for bigger hulls like cats. Just throwing it out there. I have sold hundreds of drives from wire to 150 to the 187 cables. You have to remove the liner for 187 cables. Upgrading water lines and opening up the rudder is a big help. These boats must be gone thru when you get them....QC is a bit sloppy most of the time but can make great boats. I do not get on here much but I get enough orders from this forum that I figured I should jump in once in a while.