Gtr shocks variable dampening kit questions

Guys I have the variable dampening kit for the GTR shocks and I was just wondering when adding the metal flap to the pistons - how tight do I tighten down the nut on the strut shaft? do I tighten it as much as possible (i feel then it would never open the other two ports)? or do I leave it with some leeway so that the metal flap can open and allow oil to pass during rebound

I tightened it down tight but did not "crank" on it. Per instructions I think it said do not over tighten.... Whatever that means lol.

Maybe i should tighten it all the way but not hard

Quote Originally Posted by whitie_bear View Post
    Maybe i should tighten it all the way but not hard
    That's what I came to find

Just get it snug. You can move the piston up and down to check if it is working. You should feel less resistance when you are pulling the piston back out. You should feel a noticeable difference, especially if you made the covered holes larger.

Hmmm i wonder how large is good for the covered holes. You guys like 60 wt? 80 wt?

RC Competitor
    I didn't tighten it all the way. I mean i tighten it and then unscrew it very, very little. Then this 'valve' works better.

Indeed if i tightened all the way 1-2 threads were showing above the nut. ..i backed the nut off so that there were no threads showing

There should be no axial play of the piston, tighten it until you feel a slight increase of friction when you turn the piston with your fingers. The flapper valve works by spring action and opens the holes under pressure so they should not be loose as this could cause variations or cause the flapper valve to move out of position. Too tight and the flapper valve may not seal the holes due to the deformation it gets when the piston is over tightened.
    As for hole sizes and oil weight, you have to use what works best for you. You can use what you had before the variable piston set-up if you had your previous non variable piston set-up tuned as a start which may save you some time tuning or make a fresh start which gives you a chance to change your base shock oil viscosity and tune the holes to that viscosity.

RC Enthusiast
    If you tighten too much you will bend the flap upwards or cause a crease.