Thread: Driveshafts

RC Racer

Driveshafts

Hello, just bought a used slash last week and was running it this morning and blew a driveshaft. What shafts do you guys recommend. I have heard about Mip but what about other brands like hot racing. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I think your only viable options are the mip x duty (heavy but extremely strong) or the tekno m6 which is what i have and love em (also really strong and lighter - have to use their plastic hubs though as larger diameter axles). I was blowing 2-3 axles a 3 hour bash session (3 hrs includes working on the car in the dark) since switching to m6 2 years ago i haven't broken or popped out once!!!! 3s winter and summer bashing

I have been happy with the Traxxas brand CVD's I would not rule them out!
    Rustler | MERV | Summit | Slash Ultimate | Slash

RC Competitor
    I 2nd the Tekno, have them on stampede and slash 4x4's and haven't had a single issue. Plus they are a lot less expensive than MIPs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I switched my mil driveshafts out for traxxas cvds.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Competitor
    I changed the rears for larger tmaxx shafts, requires them to be cut down and changed the bearings but have held up much better than stock slash.

RC Racer
    So what I am seeing is Tekno M6 or Mip x duty. . I like the tekno because they look lighter but how do the plastic hubs hold up. I have the platinum edition and like the aluminum hubs. I would also like to run 3s w/o any worries. And they are within $10 of each other so price isn't a big deal

RC Competitor
    I changed out the hexs to tekno metal ones, they are about $10.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotshot24 View Post
    I changed out the hexs to tekno metal ones, they are about $10.

this is basically a required addition to the Teknos, making them not any cheaper than the MIPs, which use a stronger keyed design, and come with metal hexes.....

my vote is MIP, what you add in extra weight, you make up for with increased durability......

Yes metal hexes are definitely recommended oh and the plastic hubs hold up excellent! Never broken one of my rears.. you can still use your front aluminum hub if you buy a 6 x 11 x 4 bearing (well a pair of them) I have an ultimate and that's what i did

My MIP X-Duty axles celebrated there five years anniversary this month! They have been on a few different trucks. I have bought another set for my new Ultimate Edition. Unless something drastically changes they will always be my go to CV axles
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

MIPs for me as well.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Like many others MIP for me....
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    well thanks to the communities help I have ordered a set of MIPs for the rear. I am hoping that I can get by for a while with the 3 good plastic ones to use on the fronts.

You won't lol

I run them both, mips are great super strong as well.
    Teknos weigh much less come with all the bearings to make up for any price difference as far a hex's go and if you want to put 11mmx6mmx4 bearings you can run any carriers you wish on the front.
    My PF-8 runs 6mm X0-1 6mm stub axles and Hot racing front and rear carriers and has been doing great with the hpi bearings, with tekno you'll need to stay with their rear carriers tho due to the bigger inner bearing.
    Imo there both great axles and top of the line, you cant go wrong with either set.
    That said I'll never buy another set of mip because they haven't done anything but added weight to my rig compared to tekno.
    Put to an all out strength test the mips would probably prevail but so far tekno and traxxas cvds have taken 6s power on my PF-8 speed rig and the mips are doing great on the MT.
    Both good choices imo either will get the job done.
    These bigger motors may not care but weight is weight no mater how you look at it.
    For a racer not worried about looks but very concerned about weight the tekno front carriers also come with shims for adjusting bump-steer, for bashing who cares.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    FWIW I know that the MIP's are a crowd favorite, but I am very impressed with the Tekno's and yes I got the alloy hubs with them. The knuckles and bearings they come with are beefy.. The rear set comes with adjustability to fine tune rear toe settings. I have tried really hard to break them, but not happening yet. I averages 6 axle repairs a day stock, and have been thrashing these hard for a month now no problem...

RC Enthusiast
    Is anyone running the Tekno shafts with RPM arms? I am looking to get the rear shafts replaced first and like the lighter idea of the Tekno but their website says not to use them with the RPM arms due to flex. I bash mostly but would like to run the Tekno if they hold up with the RPM's. Otherwise I'll end up going with the MIP X-duty.

RC Racer
    I am running the rpm arms with mine. That's why I never read directions..they always say you can't do things.

Quote Originally Posted by tooltimenova View Post
    Is anyone running the Tekno shafts with RPM arms? I am looking to get the rear shafts replaced first and like the lighter idea of the Tekno but their website says not to use them with the RPM arms due to flex. I bash mostly but would like to run the Tekno if they hold up with the RPM's. Otherwise I'll end up going with the MIP X-duty.
    I've heard that as well but have been running a set with rpm arms far about four years now and so far so good.
    Maybe I've been one of the lucky ones but I do believe tekno does indeed make a point of not using them with rpm arms.
    I've been pounding a set on 3s and 4s with a 2400kc castle on one of my 2wd's.
    They made it thru years of racing bashing and every other kind of pounding you could think of, the only issue I had was an outer bearing going out once or twice.
    I can't complain about that after four years, heck even the yokes show hardly any wear.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    Cool, thanks guys. I think im going to go with the Tekno just because of the weight difference. i dont like unsprung and rotating mass if i can help it. not a racing rig by no means but that all adds up to performance and breakage.