RC Enthusiast

Slash 4x4 Diff Questions

Hi, we were wondering what the best lube is for the front/rear differential housing (the part that attaches to the shock tower) . There is a lot of dirt and crap in there, and the oil is black. We've used high temperature wheel bearing grease for real cars in the other slash, and that doesn't seem to be a problem. What are your opinions?
    Also, how do you clean these out? How do you clean out the diff itself? What is the best type of differential oil for bashers on 3s and large brushless systems? We usually drive on grass, dirt, or asphalt.
    Thanks!

this is a google search type question and i only say that because there are different set ups for different uses. i honestly don't remember what i put in mine last time but it isn't a difficult piece of info to search.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    there isn't going to be one answer, the reason there are so many choices is because hte end user needs to experiment and find what best suits them......

oil goes in the actual diff, grease goes on the gears in the bulkheads

You want to know what to use on the differential ring and pinion gears? There are two popular choices. One is marine grease and the other is called Red and Tacky. I have had bad experience with white lithium grease.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    El sob is right . I use red and tacky auto grease . but not to much or it can run hot.. you can also use black grease from lhs its a bit thinner. but for bashing auto grease .
    What works for me... might not for you

I have Peak High-Temp Red Grease in mine and I have no complaints.

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Well, Being this post is about differentials, I might as well ask about diff oil itself here instead of starting a new post. I just bought a used slash a week ago and haven't opened the diffs yet but know it is not going to be pretty because this slash was beat. But on the flip side I got it dirt cheap. Any ways, what is a good fluid setup you would recommend to start off at. I bash a little but also have a little track in my yard that I race on with a couple of friends. What do you recommend.

I have a set up that has worked well for many years. I run 100,000 in the rear differential and 30,000 ( which is the stock fluid ) in the front. Everyone has a different combination that works for them. Trial and error is your friend
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

For cleaning out the diff, I just toss the whole housing and buy a new one with seals for about $5. Clean off the spider gears inside with RC motor spray.

For the ring and pinion, some kind of degreaser (Simple Green works) or RC motor spray (i.e. Duratrax Power Shot) once you get most of the gunk off.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Racer
    Isn't it recommended to run lower wt in the rear?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunamonkey View Post
    Isn't it recommended to run lower wt in the rear?
    it's personal preference