RC poster

Decided to convert the Slayer Pro to Brushless

Yes - I'm throwing in the towel. To much messing around and not enough fun. But the main reason being is that the nitro is simply too noisy to use in the neighborhood and on Sundays.
    I also have an older E-Slayer conversion and it's fabulous. Quiet, pulls endless wheelies and provides hours of bashing fun. I have a massive 4S battery in it which lasts ages. An HPI Alphastar with Q-base ESC and a Graupner middle diff.

So I've stripped all the Nitro parts out of the new Slayer Pro and have put them up on ebay along with all the other Nitro paraphernalia, funnels, air cleaners, oils etc. Now - my E-Slayer has been built on it's original silver alu chassis and I definitely want to built the Pro on it's original blue alu chassis. I think that's the real beauty of these trucks.

I've got a brand new high output 4S Lipo spare I'd like to use. I'm thinking of buying a Castle Sidewinder 8th combo. Would this have too much power and tear my Slayer apart, or not? Is this a good idea? I'd like to keep the truck fairly stock and don't want to upgrade everything. This is a toy not a serious competition vehicle.

Also - can anyone tell me where to connect the motor too? Sounds like a silly question I know. Obviously I'll need to junk the slipper clutch, but can I retain the Traxxas two speed transmission? Does it make sense too? Or is there a better center transmission idea? Not forgetting - the Sidewinder 8th alone will use up as much money as I want to spend. I guess I'll have to dump the disc brake? Shame I think that's rather cool, but I guess there's no practical way to make that work with forward and reverse governing the motor?

Also I'd like to keep the stock Slayer Pro wheels this time. My E-Slayer has extra large wheels from a Losi 10 truggy which make it as wide as a Pro, but this time on the Pro I want the stock looks.

The aim is that my son and I can both drive E-Slayers around and have fun together. Perhaps we should call them Tesla Slayers

Thanks
    Ed

The language filter has been tripped due to banned brand name.
    Last edited by Double G; 06-13-2016 at 03:59 PM.

RC Competitor
    Awesome project ED. Love to see pictures of it.

RC poster
    Ive taken a good long look at both my now stripped down Slayer Pro and my old E-Slayer. I think I want to try to build the new E-Slayer by modifying as little as possible, so I decided to retain the Traxxas transmission. Firstly I'll bolt the two gears together so that it's locked in second gear. This also removes the coast function so the truck will work in reverse.
    Here are all the nitro parts removed and put on eBay and some pictures showing the comparison between the Slayer and E-Slayer.

How do you embed pictures in this forum?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1054885...eat=directlink

RC poster
    Well I got a good price for all the nitro parts on eBay so I just placed an order for the Castle 8th combo, the charging link and a 13 tooth pinion. I've written to RC Monster asking if their Revo/Slayer motor mount works on the stock slayer aluminium chassis. If it does I'll order that too. I'm considering mounting the ESC at the back end just in front of and protected by the rear body mount tower. Motor where the nitro motor was and the 4S LiPo on the left hand side. I'll make an aluminium tray for that.
    Ed

RC Qualifier
    I left mine a 2-speed with disk brake and no reverse. The RCM mount bolts to the old nitro motor mount. I made a small esc mounting plate and screwed into the hole in the rear body mount tower.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Multirotor View Post
    I left mine a 2-speed with disk brake and no reverse. The RCM mount bolts to the old nitro motor mount. I made a small esc mounting plate and screwed into the hole in the rear body mount tower.

I did consider that. Do you find it better? Does it actually change gear? I do like the idea of using the disc brake.
    Ed

RC Qualifier
    Yeah it shifted good. You can adjust the shift point just like it was nitro. You can always go back and lock it out later. I bet the amps spike pretty hard when it shifts. I guess the amp spike depends on if you have the wide or close gear set installed into the transmission. Mine would yank a wheelie when it shifted and coast forever silently. It was one of a kind at street bashes where everybody else was direct drive single speed.
    You can still have reverse if you keep the shift servo and reverse fork, then set your esc to forward/neutral/forward on motor direction.

RC poster
    Well I've ordered the RCM motor mount and a Castle Sidewinder 8th. Already got a new 4S Look waiting to go in and I'll follow Multirotors advice and stick with two speed and disc brake. The idea of coasting appealed to me.

RC Competitor
    I'm interested in this Build as well as I just picked up a couple revos. One being a bunch of parts and the person started to build a slayer out of it. So I am without a nitro engine for now, and I have thought about doing an e conversion for the slayer. I will be following this. Thanks