Thread: New M41

RC Qualifier

New M41

Okay I ordered my new M41. Curious how the motor attaches. I will be updating the motor and ESC and will see how fast I can make it. I also would like to upgrade the flex cable and go with two cooling lines like my Spartan. I know it will never beat my Spartan but I hope it does better in the rough water.

I contacted Jeff Wholts and he said he would build me a flex cable for the boat. All I have to do is give him the spec's on the ca ble when I receive the boat. Now all I need to find is a dual pick-up rudder to fit the boat. Look out Spartan I am going to have one fast M41
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-23-2016 at 06:59 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    I am going to try and use the flex cable from my spartan, it's a Jeff Wholts cable. looks like we won't be able to add a bigger (longer) motor without ripping or cutting some of the Styrofoam away.
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    I contacted Jeff Wholts and he said he would build me a flex cable for the boat. All I have to do is give him the spec's on the ca ble when I receive the boat. Now all I need to find is a dual pick-up rudder to fit the boat. Look out Spartan I am going to have one fast M41

RC Qualifier
    Received my new boat today. I had to see if the new leopard 4082 would fit. It bolted in perfectly. Also my aeromarine coupler also fits just clearing the shield. My next task will be install the new 180 ESC. The biggest problem I see will be finding a dual pickup rudder.

RC Enthusiast
    You may have to modify the stock rudder for now.

RC Qualifier
    The 4082 fits without modding the foam? My stock motor sits right up against the foam.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Received my new boat today. I had to see if the new leopard 4082 would fit. It bolted in perfectly. Also my aeromarine coupler also fits just clearing the shield. My next task will be install the new 180 ESC. The biggest problem I see will be finding a dual pickup rudder.

RC Qualifier
    The Leopard motor fits great. There is even a slight gap between the foam and the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR View Post
    I am going to try and use the flex cable from my spartan, it's a Jeff Wholts cable. looks like we won't be able to add a bigger (longer) motor without ripping or cutting some of the Styrofoam away.
    The Spartan cable will not work on the M41. Also the Leopard 4082 fits perfectly and does not touch the foam. I also sent Jeff Wholts the specs on the cables and he will be building them and a wire drive also.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-23-2016 at 06:58 AM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    This thing will blow over at 55mph on glass so make sure you have your retrieval system at hand if your gonna try 60+. The swim of shame. LOL

RC Qualifier
    I run my Spartan and my M41 off my big boat and I always have my dinghy ready to go for retrieval. I do not think any one has pushed this boat that far past 50 yet so blow over is yet to be determined. Bat placement , trim tab adjustment, and rudder angles all play an important roll in blow over. I think I can achieve over 65mph. Right now I am still building the boat. The Leopard motor and 180 ESC are now installed and they fit perfectly. I ordered a new rudder from Traxxas and will be machining that for a larger opening. I will then run a larger cooling line in to the boat. Once inside the boat I will use a y to split the cooling lines. One to the motor and the other to the ESC. They will then exit the boat on both sides of the hull. I like to have them exit on both sides so I can see the flow from the motor and ESC separately . Once I do this and get my new flex cable from Jeff Wholt I will be ready to run.
    Last edited by SJS; 06-25-2016 at 07:13 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I have now modified the rudder to flow more water. What I found was the hole drilled down through the rudder by Traxxas was just over .100 in diameter. The restriction comes from the hose fitting and the lower cross hole in the rudder. I opened the cross hole and the barb fitting up with a 3/32 drill bit which is almost .100 in diameter. I then smoothed out the cross hole with some small sand paper. I figure with this easy mod the rudder should flow 50% more water. Now with my larger tubing splitting off with the y in the boat to cool the motor and ESC separately I think they will be fine. I will monitor the temps with my infrared gage to make sure. I have also added the Traxxas trim tab adjusters to the tabs in case I want to adjust them. I am now just waiting for my flex cable from Jeff Wholt and I will be ready to test.
    Last edited by SJS; 06-30-2016 at 11:33 AM.

RC poster
    Which Leopard 4082 KV are you testing??

RC Qualifier
    I am running the 1600 KV. Had the boat out for the first time. Was rough water so I could not run speed runs. My cooling system worked great. I had good water flow out both outlets. My ESC temps were 95 deg and the motor temps were 85 deg. I did not see much difference between the Spartan and the M41 in the rough water. They will both blow over in the waves. Next weekend I will be running on a different lake so I hope to get some speed runs in.

RC Qualifier
    I also added four extra straps in the boat and strapped down foam round pipe insulation in the rear straps. This keeps the bats from sliding back and you do not have to try and tighten the bats real tight as they are a little difficult to get to. The other thing I do like is that the M41 has foam flotation in the rear and when the boat flips it rides very high and level upside down. This helps keep a lot of water out of the boat. I hope the water is calm and I can get some speed runs in next weekend with the GPS. I will be in Lake Charlevoix on round lake next weekend where it is also Boyne Thunder. There will be 125 of the real hot boats passing by for the poker run. I like to give them a show with the RC boats. They love it.

RC poster
    I think we are all interested to see some pictures of your modifications when you get a chance. Good luck on your speed runs next weekend.

RC Qualifier
    I have some pictures but I am unable to load them with a URL. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by SJS; 07-05-2016 at 07:05 PM.

RC Qualifier
    ///////////////////////
    Last edited by SJS; 07-05-2016 at 06:45 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Get on tapatalk,it's very friendly to these forums . .. pics are easy then !

sent from Northern Vermont

RC Qualifier
    Last edited by SJS; 07-07-2016 at 01:30 PM.