RC Enthusiast

slash 2wd vxl... 30mph top speed on 3s? help!

Hello all! I recently purchased a slash 2wd vxl and Ive had brushed and nitro trucks before but this is my first brushless RC. Its been great in stock form but i bought a traxxas 3-cell 11.1V 5000mah 25c lipo battery and it tops out at only 30mph. I am Still running the stock 23/86 gearing but it dosnt seem to be any faster or stronger than the stock 7-cell 8.4V 3000mah nimh battery. I have made sure it was in Sport mode at least 3 times (only 1 flash) and i used the traxxas ez peak plus battery charger to balance charge the lipo battery and i can only get 30mph out of it. I see other guys doing wheelies at 30mph on 3s lipos and mine wont even get the tires up at all. If anyone has any ideas to what could be wrong it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Idk it should run I would think I haven't made the switch over to lipo yet "in time lol" when I can afford it maybe switch the gearing down I hear bout guys running like 21/50 but it still seems like even at the stock gearing it should run like 60 or at least I would think

Sent from my SM-N915V
    Luv my slash

RC Enthusiast
    I figured with stock gearing and 3s lipo i should be able to atleast hit 45-50mph and with the high speed 28/86 gear they include i should get around 60mph if i could keep it on the ground. Im kind of disappointed with it right now because there is absolutely no difference between the 3s lipo and the stock nimh battery. something is setup wrong or something i just cant figure out what it could be.

RC Racer
    Have you checked your lipo with a voltmeter?

Check the wiring from motor to esc.

Check your slipper clutch tightness, make sure it's not constantly slipping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Yeah idk mine tops out at like 45 with nimh and 28/76 so it should run 60 easy on 3s

Sent from my SM-N915V

Yeah good advice duce it very well could b the slipper clutch

Sent from my SM-N915V
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-23-2016 at 06:52 AM. Reason: merge
    Luv my slash

RC Enthusiast
    i just went and checked the slipper and tightened it all the way and backed it off 1 quarter turn then took it out side and still nothing. i also ran it in all 3 modes (sport, race, and training) and i didnt notice any difference between all three modes, except race mode has no reverse. they all run about the same speed and feel like the same power. all the wires seem to be connected properly and tight. i dont have a volt meter at the moment to check the lipo but even with the nimh it seems to run the same in all three modes

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    I didn't see this asked or spoken, did you change the programing on the ESC to lipo mode?

TO change to lipo mode (when you turn truck on light is red) after you turn it on (while it is powered on) hold the on button for 11 seconds, you will hear a little tone/beeps. than the light will turn green (low voltage dection mode)

To change back to NIHM mode (when you turn truck on light is green) after you turn it on (while it is powered on) hold the on button for 11 seconds, you will hear a reverse sounding tone/beeps, than the light will turn red (NIHM mode)

(nihm mode might not let you use 3s full potentional)
    Hope this helps!!!!

fourdub
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Yeah very good point low voltage should b on idk if that would stop it or probably not but worth a shot

Sent from my SM-N915V
    Luv my slash

RC Enthusiast
    yea i switched it to lipo mode for the 3s and then put it back in nihm and tried the stock battery but no difference in performance

Does the motor get hot after u run around a few mins I know I just sent mine back in to traxxas it did basically the same thing just on nimh my speed was slower then beginner mode so I took it apart took the motor out and plugged it back up turned it on and just squeezed the trigger wide open 4 like 1 sec and the shaft got blistering hot that quick so I took the motor apart and the rotor inside was shot there was metal shavings inside they sent me a brand new fir free I had to send the old 1 in so they could c if it was a defect or not about a 2 week process I was I only had it a couple months and had a broken ft and wrist so I wasn't even bashing it

Sent from my SM-N915V
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-22-2016 at 11:52 AM.
    Luv my slash

RC Enthusiast
    i can run it til the battery quits in lipo and nihm and its warm but not hot and the esc is about the same temp. i hope i can figure it out cause i really dont want to have to send it off and play the waiting game lol

RC Enthusiast
    well idk what did it but i reset the transmitter, reset the esc to lipo and sport mode and recalibrated the throttle and reverse and tried it again and now its just flat out dangerous. i couldnt try a top speed run because its dark now but i think its performing like it should. i tested it for about 5 mins and i allready see that the stock stuff wont hold up to 3s lipo too well. lol 5 mins = broke axle!

Well it's good you got it fixed! If you break your axle, get the slash 4x4 HD driveshafts. They'll hold up. They hold up fine for me on the street, I run 6s geared 17/56. I was excited when I was able to run 3s in my Traxxas system. Now 6s is just flat out, okay I'll plug in these 3s batteries and pull out my wallet awhile... I haven't even gotten to my top speed yet, and I got my castle creations on June 7th LOL. Too many broken parts. But RPM works great. But aluminum caster blocks and bearing carriers by either Traxxas or STRC are the way to go. And riding at night is asking to bump into stuff LOL

RC Enthusiast
    yea its performing great now. thanks guys for all the input. but i got a while to go b4 i try anything past 3s... i think. lol! i went full throttle and twisted the axle in 2 right at the bearing carrier. so i need new axles and i might as well get caster blocks and bearing carriers too. so slash 4x4 hd axles from traxxas would be my best bet?

Quote Originally Posted by whitelightnin00 View Post
    yea its performing great now. thanks guys for all the input. but i got a while to go b4 i try anything past 3s... i think. lol! i went full throttle and twisted the axle in 2 right at the bearing carrier. so i need new axles and i might as well get caster blocks and bearing carriers too. so slash 4x4 hd axles from traxxas would be my best bet?
    Yes. A lot of people use them. They're cheap and reliable.

RC Enthusiast
    cool. thanks

cool. thanks
    No problem! It's what we are all here for

RC Racer
    Good to hear otherwise all got working properly. Didn't even think about the transmitter.

Yeah definitely get 4x4 drive shaft they r a lot tougher and aluminum caster blocks and rpm parts the stock plastic parts will never hold up some say the rpm a arms ain't t no good cause they give but I think they're racing not just bashing around 4 fun I thought about the aluminum a arms myself but I had just bought rpm so wut ever lol glad it's fixed and working like it should I hate 2 c n e 1 with a down vehicle cause I know how much it sucks lol

Luv my slash
    Luv my slash

RC Enthusiast
    I'm heading to my local shop as soon as I get off work. Lol maybe they have some so I don't have to order them and wait lol but I did loosen the slipper clutch a little bit so it won't just snap stuff in half as quick

Cool bro lmk how ya make out

Luv my slash

And u know I wa# actually thinking aluminum a arms as well idk I'll have to research it unless someone in here says something I wouldn't think it'd b much of a weight difference should be stronger tho

Luv my slash
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-23-2016 at 06:53 AM. Reason: merge
    Luv my slash

Quote Originally Posted by D4Jesus View Post
    And u know I wa# actually thinking aluminum a arms as well idk I'll have to research it unless someone in here says something I wouldn't think it'd b much of a weight difference should be stronger tho

Luv my slash
    Well many people say that aluminum arms are just for racing on tracks. Not bashing or anything.

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    most people leave the arms plastic, either stock or RPM, once you go ALL metal, you start bending things instead of breaking them. I would rather break a-arms, than bend the a-arm, bend the c-hub, and caster.

metal c-hun and caster is recommended, leave the weak link @ the a-arm, so it breaks rather than the other parts bend.

Hope this helps!

edit: I have a almost FULL metal slash 2wd... thing thing deff weighs more than stock plastic, and makes a nasty thud noise everytime I land a jump. This truck dosent get bashed a lot because of the metal. it gets driven around in parades and stuff haha.

Last edited by fourdub; 06-22-2016 at 10:01 AM.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Oh ok I kinda thought that wasn't really sure I ain't looked into it it wasn't gonna b til I broke an rpm arm if possible they say it's not likely but idk lol and c hub u talking bout the hub carrier or something else I'm still learning parts lol

Luv my slash

Thanx 4 the advice tho much appreciated dub I've got the aluminum caster blocks I've heard that's basically the only thing that really should b metal

Luv my slash
    Luv my slash

RC Enthusiast
    In the traxxas manual you have to run 76/31 gearing to get the 60mph with a 3s 5000+mah 11.1v battery... i have 86/18 in mine right now and cant keep the front tires on the ground...

Yeah I wanna ride wheelies on demand like that will 2s do it

Luv my slash
    Luv my slash

RC Enthusiast
    I don't need 60 for driving around the yard but I'm glad it's not stuck at 30 anymore lol I just replaced the axles with new HD traxxas axles and it's pretty fast but about half the time I hit the throttle it's sounds like it's surging. The motor is like stop, go, stop, go, etc. Any guesses?

Cogging. Motor doesn't have enough torque right away. I mean I used to have that problem with my Traxxas system.

RC Enthusiast
    it seems to be only doing it when i have a freshly charged lipo but after a few mins of run time then its fine. what causes it?

Well I've heard the motors actually work their best at a certain temperature. Idk...

RC Enthusiast
    gotcha. that would explain y it was only at the start then ran fine the rest of the time.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by D4Jesus View Post
    Oh ok I kinda thought that wasn't really sure I ain't looked into it it wasn't gonna b til I broke an rpm arm if possible they say it's not likely but idk lol and c hub u talking bout the hub carrier or something else I'm still learning parts lol

Luv my slash
    Rpm has life time warranty on their products. That's one of the main reasons I use all of their parts.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpedduce View Post
    Rpm has life time warranty on their products. That's one of the main reasons I use all of their parts.

Yes I am definitely a firm believer in rpm I think sometimes I purposely try 2 break parts just to upgrade to rpm lol but I was unaware of the lifetime warranty on their products tho I did not know that

Luv my slash

Yeah idk mine e was doing the same thing until I got a new 1 from traxxas does it only do it when u give e it full throttle that's how mine was it would go like 10 ft then slide n go until I get up speed or I could take off slow it wouldn't do it I couldn't even do doughnuts

Luv my slash

I don't need 60 for driving around the yard but I'm glad it's not stuck at 30 anymore lol I just replaced the axles with new HD traxxas axles and it's pretty fast but about half the time I hit the throttle it's sounds like it's surging. The motor is like stop, go, stop, go, etc. Any guesses?
    Yeah idk I had the same thing until I got a new motor from traxxas does it only do it when u give it full throttle that's how mine was it would go like 10 ft then slide n go until I get up speed then it goes so I couldn't do doughnuts or nothing if I would take off slow it wouldn't do it idk what it was I called traxxas they said a few ppl was having the same issue so they sent me a glitch buster didn't do nothing

Luv my slash
    Luv my slash

RC Racer
    Just make sure you understand their terms on their warranty. Some believe they will replace the part with no questions asked which is false.

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/faq/rpm...-policy/#terms

Yes definitely not true I basically had to fuss and cuss cause I hadn't even hardly drove it and the motor went out they was gonna charge me 4 it but they ended up not they said send in the motor and if it's a defective motor then they'd replace it free and they did

Luv my slash

Oh lol I'm an idiot lol u were referring to rpm lol

Luv my slash
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-23-2016 at 06:54 AM. Reason: merge
    Luv my slash

RC Enthusiast
    So camber and bearing holders should be aluminum and a-arms should be rpm? What about the bulkheads and shock towers? I'm goina be using the proline extended body mounts and 2.8 trenches too so what are yalls thoughts on that? And about the surging it only does it when the lipo is fully charged.. after about 5-10 mins it runs fine even after I let the truck cool back down. Also I'm lookin into the ESC fan and the hot racing aluminum trans case with heatsinks... thoughts?

Okay I've heard aluminum cambers bend. I have all a-arms, bearing carriers, and castor blocks, and shock towers RPM... I haven't had a problem with plastic bulkheads. That hot racing aluminum case works great. I got the plastic one, because it was cheaper I didn't know if it would work. I have a 5075 can on it and works great! Uh loctite the blue fins. I've seen people lose them. I haven't used it that much, but from off roading on 6s, it help up. I like the replaceable things that connect to the arms. I've never had a problem with plastic shock towers.

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds good. i can use rpm on most things and save some money in the process lol. Putting the 2.8 trenchers on shouldnt put to much more stress on the drivetrain should it?

Not at all. Once your car weighs more and gets more grip, your drive train needs to be stronger. But as most are light, you don't have to worry

RC Enthusiast
    Gotcha. Sounds good. thanks.