RC poster

New M41 and some basic "N00b" questions...Also own a Real DCB Boat

Hello Everyone...

New to the forums, new to the Traxxas world, but not new to R/C world. Quick background for those that care.. Have been involved primarily with offroad Gas/Nitro powerplants,1/8th scale Nitro, 1/5 scale Gas/Alky.. Lost touch with those over the year, but still have them all in a tote buried in the garage. Have never been in the "Electric" realm, so this is slightly new territory for me. I am also a drone pilot, until recently losing my entire drone in Havasu with a new aftermarket battery capturing the Desert Storm poker run.

With that said, I am a huge DCB fan and own a DCB, with plans to purchase another DCB in the next year or so to upgrade from our current Mach 26 to an F29... Stepping stones... I know the entire crew at DCB, Dave, Tony, Eric, and Peggi who has recently moved on. Nevertheless, great people, Dave is a pretty cool and laid back guy, and Tony is a riot to talk with. The stories these guys have over the years is rather crazy. The most recent crazy is the fact that Tony test ran a new DCB M35 on Lake Elsinore with twin 1350hp Merc's, drained the fuel, put 112 octane in it, flipped the switch to 1550hp, and pulled 180mph.. On Lake Elsinore!! For those of you who don't know how tiny Lake Elsinore is, lets just say, its like the size of a fishing hole compared to most lakes, and 180mph on that lake is insane. I am also friends with Win who owns the first ever DCB M41 out of production called Silver Linings. The 2nd out of mold is the red one you see on the side of the Taxxas M41 box, which was at Barrett Jackson with a price take including Freightliner rig of $1.275 Mil. So know the Traxxas scaled version is pretty darn close to the real deal in terms of shape, looks, and details.. I could easily address where they could have improved, but that's beside the point...

On to the good stuff...

Being new in the electric world, the LHS sold me the cheapy batts steering me away from the Traxxas batts, not knowing any better until after I got home and did some research. With that said, what batts is are people running and having success with? What size are they using, what whats the typical run time.. I currently have 3S 5200's but have another LHS who is Traxxas friendly ordering in some 8400's... I also have the telemetry stuff on order too...

Also... Battery location.. I obviously know this is dependent on conditions, but where is everyone having the best success in battery locations? All the way forward, back an 1" or 2".. Ive only had 1 run with it so far, I have the batts about 2" away from the forward position, the lake behind the house isn't really big enough to open it up and get a set without seeing a bunch of proposing, so figured I would ask to find out where people are having the most success.

Ive also read a bunch of stuff about the silicone water jack and upgrading that, what are the typical options to upgrade that, ive read about a few, but once again, figured I would ask since this is all new... obviously with this being as new as it is, Im reading through various posts on mods, props, even motor upgrades so Im definitely following along and have read through all of the posts...

Im sure I will have more question, but this will get me started...

RC Qualifier
    My stock water jacket does not leak. I put silicone grease on before installing. Others have replaced it with metal.
    There are many battery brands. I have several including Traxxas and have had no problems. You do want a high "C" rating if you intend to run this boat with 6s lipos. Many run 40 to 60"C" but I think Traxxas ships with 25C if you buy with battery's.
    All IMO; Don

RC poster
    Hey Don,

Thanks for the info... Ive done the reading on C rating.. Ive also tried to look up the Constant Amp draw on the motors and burst, which everything I have found says 60-65amp continuous with 100amp burst.. I somewhat understand the whole C rating and having some overhead, what I find troubling is the fact that the traxxas batts are 25c.. My cheapo's are 50C... I haven't noticed my jacket leaking, but I was more inclined to better cooling performance vs stock silicone, not that I have an issue, but it seems as though when you mod, such as prop, batts, and extended run times with larger batts, keeping the motor cool with substantial cooling is key, which is why I was asking about the cooling jackets... Can you toss out some alternative Mfg's for cooling jackets?

RC Enthusiast
    Hey, Welcome aboard. My jacket leaked pretty badly so I ordered an aftermarket one from Kintec Racing. It cost about $17 or so and should be here today or tomorrow. Also, I bought the all inclusive combo pack that has the charger and two Traxxas batteries packaged with the M41. No issues with batteries or charger as of yet.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostmontanan View Post
    Hey, Welcome aboard. My jacket leaked pretty badly so I ordered an aftermarket one from Kintec Racing. It cost about $17 or so and should be here today or tomorrow. Also, I bought the all inclusive combo pack that has the charger and two Traxxas batteries packaged with the M41. No issues with batteries or charger as of yet.
    Cool Deal!! Ill look into Kintec, appreciate that.. As far as the batt, gonna pick up the 8400's from LHS, give those a try, I have an older racers edge digital charger that I might upgrade to something that does 2 batts at once. Are the Traxxas chargers decent, I know they have that whole battery ID thing, but I also know theres a whole spectrum of chargers out there also..

RC Racer
    Welcome to the forum. I just got my M41 for fathers day and have run it one time a couple days ago. I'm running 8400 6s batts and the boat is flawless straight line. I have been running the X-Maxx for a few months so I trade off batts with the 41. I haven't had any problems with my Dual ID charger, however my 5000s that came with the completer pack are swollen to the point of returning them to Traxxas if I can get an RMA. I ran out of range on my first run and walked the shore to get the signal back. Good luck and as you know don't bash the turns.

RC poster
    So the LHS got in the 6400's, so I decided to go with those along with a Traxxas dual bank charger... Yah, LHS loved me.. I added everything he had avail, including a Slash VLX for my 10yr olds bday... He still didn't have the telemetry Expander unit in... also couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the temp sensor (analog) to read, after 2 days of scouring the web, finally read, if you don't use the voltage line, which comes with it, you have to plug it into a free channel on the receiver... Sure enough, that worked, temp reading was good... Now all I need is the Trigger magnet adapter for RPM along with the expander, ill be set...

Another question I had for aftermarket cooling.. For those can coolers like kintec, when you use those, is there still room for the temp sensor?

RC Racer
    Where did you find the voltage line? I had to get one from my LHS for my X-maxx separate. Also I'm thinking the temp sensor goes under one or both screws at the front of the motor. Let us know what you came up with. I'm running the 8400 6s setup.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude98 View Post
    Where did you find the voltage line? I had to get one from my LHS for my X-maxx separate. Also I'm thinking the temp sensor goes under one or both screws at the front of the motor. Let us know what you came up with. I'm running the 8400 6s setup.
    So after scouring the web and finding a link related to the Temp/Voltage under a RC car, apparently the Voltage adapter if not being used to monitor voltage must be plugged into a spare channel on the receiver in order to either close the loop or provide power or feedback in order for the temp sensor to work. As soon as I plugged it in to Channel 4 on the receiver, the Temp sensor started working. The downfall to this is that on the app, in the upper right corner now Im getting a low voltage indicator on the RC... When I asked the LHS about monitoring voltage, they said it was kinda pointless cause the LiPo's don't really drop voltage like typical batteries to really monitor anything or monitor the decline of the battery voltage. But that was the fix, if you decide to monitor batt voltage you should be fine, if not, plug the voltage adapter into a spare channel on the receiver and the Temp will work.

RC Racer
    That's what i'm going to do, but what about the motor temp sensor? I think that is another harness to get.

RC Racer
    I think its the trx #6541 harness for voltage readings which is a EZ plug instead of solder. I'll check Trx for the temp harness.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude98 View Post
    That's what i'm going to do, but what about the motor temp sensor? I think that is another harness to get.
    So theres 2 different temp sensors, one is the Digital one which is Auto-Detectable(#6526), and the other is the Analog(#6521). The analog one is a 2 in 1, both Temp and Voltage. The #6521 has an adapter for connecting to your battery which you can get the Power Tap connector (#6541) to plug it into in order to get voltage readings off your battery.