Hey guys! Have some questions for you 4x4 geeks lol

So some of you may have heard or read that I do plan on doing a 4x4 slash build. Now you'll be wondering,"if you're going to put a lot of money into one rc, why not just get an xmaxx?" Because I like upgrading and to upgrade stuff on the xmaxx, it's not cheaper. So I want 4wd. Now money won't be an issue, next year. I plan on getting every piece by piece. This will be going on road, and off roading. Now I know some things that are a major upgrade from stock Traxxas parts.
    My biggest question is, will the sidewinder 8th scale and 2200kv work in the slash 4x4?
    The parts i know I need to get are:
    Tekno big bone center driveshaft
    King headz motor mount for the slash 4x4
    But I've heard something about the lcg chassis? There's a different motor mount for that? Well what does the lcg chassis actually do?
    MIP driveshafts the x-duty obviously
    (If suitable) Castle Creations Sidewinder 8th scale and 2200kv motor.
    What servo? Metal gears, needs at least 200 oz of torque, ?. I don't want to skip out on torque haha.
    RPM arms
    Strc battery strap.
    Proline shocks...
    And I don't know what else LOL! I know I'm missing a ton, but I need help... I don't know much. So what else do I need? Like you guys will laugh like crazy. "What do I need" doesn't even have wheels! There's a differential upgrade? And please I beg, what the heck do I have to shim! I hate shimming!! I like things to fit XD. And there's different models! I can't look at which is right or which is wrong... Anyone have slash 4x4 builds ;(

I know that lcg mean low center of gravity and hcg is high center of gravity.
    Rustler CCSCT3800KV / Slash 4X4 & 2WD Build

Quote Originally Posted by CastleNewbie View Post
    I know that lcg mean low center of gravity and hcg is high center of gravity.
    Okay. I'd want a lower center of gravity I believe...
    And DANG! MIP gets back to emails quick!! I sent one and like 20 minutes later I get a response:O I was wondering if the driveshafts come with two or four. I'd honestly get the strongest parts first, not mess around haha.

Yeah that's what I did on my rustler now he's sitting cause all the slash parts come today!!! The donated ones and also I got some tires for it and the rusty coming today I'll send you some pics man
    Rustler CCSCT3800KV / Slash 4X4 & 2WD Build

The sidewinder would be a good motor and esc choice for the Slash. I bought the MM2 2200kv and I love it. Never gets hot and has plenty of power. I typically run it on 3s most the time. Occasionally I'll break out the 4s, but not too often. XO-1 diffs would be a good upgrade too. I just recently did mine. E-Revo Slipper Clutch and Aluminum Pads, unless you plan on going center diff. MIP X-duties are definitely the way to go. Heavy, but durable. A good servo would be the Hitec 646WP if you're wanting water proof. Decent price and plenty of torque. Make sure to use a BEC though. The castle ESC's aren't the greatest at powering high torque servos without em. That's about all I got. Good luck with the build and keep us updated.
    If it ain't broke, run it faster, jump it higher!!

Is this the correct chassis?
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FddahgodDzMJ4Q
    Still figuring out some parts haha. I'll take all the suggestions you guys have!

The sidewinder 8th system has worked great so far in my slash. I am currently running an 18 tooth pinion and 2.8 trenchers and haven't had any heat issues on 3s. I have the traxxas steel cvds installed now as well.

I did just run into some wheel hexes being stripped though...so I'm going to be adding some 17mm adapters. If you have good throttle control you might not strip anything; mine were taken care of when I let my dad drive the truck for a bit. He's gonna need to get his own now
    Last edited by czlynx; 06-27-2016 at 09:27 AM.

RC Qualifier
    The xo1 diff upgrade is pretty straight forward, just put it together like the diagram says, you won't need to shim any thing.

I would keep the stock arms, the rpm's are too soft. I run stock on two rigs and protrac on another, very happy with both.

As for shocks, the powerstrokes are good, they ride nice, but they leak and collect dirt and require some attention. The gtr's are tough any trouble-free but they take a little more time and effort to set up (because you have to get the revo dampening kit and find springs that you like). I have both and I prefer the gtr's.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RC Racer

Your part list will vary on if you are wanting to speed runs, bash, or race. Don't forget the rpm shock towers, rpm bumpers, and the aluminum hub carrier sets for the front and rear. Plus depending on what body you are running, need to get either the rpm body mounts or the proline extended body mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by S0MEON3CRAZY; 06-27-2016 at 09:34 AM.

RC Racer
    About the shocks. Some people like the proline powerstrokes, some like the Traxxas bigbore shocks, and most people like GTR shocks. But there is one set of shocks that some overlook. The Vorza D8 shock #67296.

Comparison of Traxxas shock next to Vorza d8 shocks.

Only other thing you need is 2 or 4 of the Hot Bodies Lightweight Shock Stand-Off #67202 ( I've read some people use 2 of them while others use 4.)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderMelon View Post
    Is this the correct chassis?
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FddahgodDzMJ4Q
    Still figuring out some parts haha. I'll take all the suggestions you guys have!
    That is the correct chassis, I got mine off of Amazon for $45, You will need the LCG motor mount but other than that everything is the same.
    I just got done converting my P4de to a Slash MT. Initial run has been everything I hoped for. Way less of a wheelie king and the handling is night and day. Will be hitting up the bash spot this afternoon to see how it handles some air time. This forum has been great and seems that it is more active than some of the others. few guys that have done some impressive builds are GeneralPede01, Squeegie, & El SOB. Your gonna have a blast with this platform.
    My conversion thread; https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...rsion-to-Slash

RC Racer
    Yep that is the Revo upgrade. I also did the aluminum pads, fully tight and backed off 1/8 of a turn.

Vorza shocks, link? I cant find them? Thank you ghaavisto!!!!!!!!!!! I totaled up some of the parts and it came to a whooping $689.47 I still need diff fluid, gaskets, all the screws...., spur gears, pinon, sway bars? toe links, all the links lol.

RC Racer

Vorza shocks, link? I cant find them? Thank you ghaavisto!!!!!!!!!!! I totaled up some of the parts and it came to a whooping $689.47 I still need diff fluid, gaskets, all the screws...., spur gears, pinon, sway bars? toe links, all the links lol.
    http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/products...re-rear-shocks

Some people end up getting the grey springs for instead of the orange springs. There is a shock set that comes with the grey springs but they are $10 more than the ones with orange springs. I've seen some use the yellow springs for them as well.

Then there are these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/121898451289

A set of four shocks with 2 orange and 2 grey springs for $67 plus shipping.

Just remember that you have to get the standoffs to put the top end of the shocks away from the shock tower to provide clearance.

Last edited by S0MEON3CRAZY; 06-27-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by S0MEON3CRAZY View Post
    http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/products...re-rear-shocks

Some people end up getting the grey springs for instead of the orange springs. There is a shock set that comes with the grey springs but they are $10 more than the ones with orange springs. I've seen some use the yellow springs for them as well.
    Thank you! I'm glad you guys are here to help haha. It's a big project for me as I've never built a whole 4x4 from the ground up. Heck I haven't built anything from the ground up! It would absolutely suck if I forgot anything lol. This wasn't just a impulse thought. I've been looking at the 4x4 for a long time.

RC Racer
    The Vorza shocks are on EBAY.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Vorza-Th...BbzjElGlBX1qrw

RC Racer
    Thank you! I'm glad you guys are here to help haha. It's a big project for me as I've never built a whole 4x4 from the ground up. Heck I haven't built anything from the ground up! It would absolutely suck if I forgot anything lol. This wasn't just a impulse thought. I've been looking at the 4x4 for a long time.
    Trust me. I'm in the same boat as you. I've been buying parts, tires, and wheels here and there when I can. I've been building mine from the ground up and my parts list is winding down to a some small things like paddle tires, SC tires, MIP xdutys, springs, LED lights, King headz motor mount and telemetry sensors and the big ticket items like batteries, motor/esc, tx/rx, and custom dyed HCG chassis.

RC Qualifier
    If this is a ground up build and not a conversion why get the conversion kit? You can just buy the lcg chassis from a chop shop for like $15. Jennys rc might have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaavisto View Post
    Yep that is the Revo upgrade. I also did the aluminum pads, fully tight and backed off 1/8 of a turn.
    I will give you a great cheap upgrade for this....The T Maxx brake disk fits with 10 sec modification (open holes up)

I won't go back to the aluminum pads.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FVhbhgodGVoJGg
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4