RC poster

Newbie Q: What do I need to swap out ESC speed controller?

Just got my X-Maxx and was running on a hot day in the dirt/sand. Stock ESC went into thermal protect mode after 3-4 minutes. I think the fan might be gummed up. Is fan supposed to run non-stop, or only when hot?

Anyway, after poking around here, I decided to order a Hobbywing Max6 ESC. Some photos online seemed to show some pre-wired Traxxas connectors, but my unit came with bare wire.

Can a kind soul tell me what I need to order to most easily swap this out? Looks like I need some kind of Y-connector harness to the ID battery plug. It seems the some soldering is in my future, unless maybe there is a female-female gizmo that will do the trick. I'm nervous about soldering such beefy wires and getting a good connection.

Thanks for any advice.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
    Just got my X-Maxx and was running on a hot day in the dirt/sand. Stock ESC went into thermal protect mode after 3-4 minutes. I think the fan might be gummed up. Is fan supposed to run non-stop, or only when hot?

Anyway, after poking around here, I decided to order a Hobbywing Max6 ESC. Some photos online seemed to show some pre-wired Traxxas connectors, but my unit came with bare wire.

Can a kind soul tell me what I need to order to most easily swap this out? Looks like I need some kind of Y-connector harness to the ID battery plug. It seems the some soldering is in my future, unless maybe there is a female-female gizmo that will do the trick. I'm nervous about soldering such beefy wires and getting a good connection.

Thanks for any advice.
    No need for a y-connector. You need traxxas # 3070 and some soldering skills to make it all work.
    Fortenwinkler

RC Qualifier
    Decent 60w plus soldering iron, and I dremelled the stock ESC wire holder off the chassis. Simple job.

RC poster
    Thanks. I will give it a try.