RC Enthusiast

One Final Motor Question

Alright so I've been a little quite, mostly because I've been doing some massive engine research and I just want to get some questions I have answered before I make any final decisions.

So in a previous lengthy decision the EL Sob (Castle Creations) 2400KV motor with hobbywing sc8 WP ESC combination was recommended as the go to all around bash / race to your hearts content kind of thing. Something I will probably end up going with.

However, near the end a few people also mentioned looking into the 2200KV or the 2650KV, I gravitated towards the 2200KV because the black can does look nice, but looks aside would the Mamba Monster X or Mamba Monster 2 be worthy buys?

If so why, what exactly is the main difference between the MMX and the MM2? If not, please explain why the 2400KV would be a better alternative.

I currently use my 4x4 for bashing, some racing at the LHS though its more for fun and I still have more upgrades I want to add on down the road to strength the chassis.

Once again Thank You

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    2400 is hard to find....

2200 is jsut fine on 3s and 4s --- or more

the mmx is better than the mm2, but not by a whole lot.... way better than the sc8 --- I would get an MMX

RC Enthusiast
    The MMX is newer, can run sensored motors (which the MM2 can not) and is supposed to be the overall improved edition of the MM2.

On the other hand, as jimbo says the difference isn't necessarily all that great, so unless you really want to be able to try a sensored motor eventually or think the red X on the top looks really radically awesome (both entirely legit reasons) then they'll likely be pretty much the same except the MM2 will probably be a bit cheaper.

Bear in mind, I think I've seen some suggest the MMX might have a similar kind of current limiter that the XLX has, meaning that if you go really crazy on high speed gearing and cell count it might not play along entirely. That said, I doubt you'd be able to trigger that kind of limiter in a Slash 4x4 without some serious modifications to the drive train and motor mount.
    I didn't know it could break THAT way...

The mmx is great. It is much smoother than the mm2 at low speeds. It would almost make you think it has a sensor even if it doesn't.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Enthusiast
    Ha Ha the red X does have its own appeal and if the can is also black I can see why that combination would look awesome. That aside, I am currently running a 3S, I would assume I'd have to run a 6's before I even reached insane speeds, which I don't plan on doing. I do plan on upgrading my slash just to strength the chassis.

Castle likes to refer to the MMX as Tekin's RX-8's equal (this from a castle rep), I own a tekin RX-2 gen 2 and it's current control (not available on the Gen 1 RX-8) is a very attractive feature, a definite plus if the MMX has this as well, they also (the RX-8) have a 220amp rating where in castle still remains at 120 with the MMX.
    That said other then running sensored motors, having a better internal bec and data logging I dont see any real reason for a basher to spend the extra $ on the MMX, oh I was told the MMX has the ability to adjust things on the go if you have the right transmitter and receiver and a few other things, that would be nice as well but again open the wallet wider.
    If I had any complaints about my MM2 it would be no matter where I set the take off current (low, med, high) it still wants to imo lurch faster then I care for from a dead stop, IE the low speed current control again would be nice.
    Not owning a MMX I cant really say anything but what I've heard, it clearly has more bells and whistles and if you plan on racing a sensored motor is basically a must have.
    If bashing is as far as you plan to go the MMX wont handle anything the MM2 wont motor wise(except sensored motors).

Just for the record I run both 2200kv (matched to a Tekin Gen 2 RX-8) and 2650kv (matched to a MM2) castle in my two 4wd slash rigs.
    In my personal opinion with the esc factors removed the 2650kv is a much better motor for the slash.
    The 2200 is bigger, heavier and needs 4s (bigger heavier battery) to really come alive.
    The 2650 is a bit smaller and lighter but will dance on 3s and is a monster on 4s.
    Just my opinions, I was seriously considering the MMX but until I can find a real reason or need for the extra bells and whistles I'll stay with the MM2, for me the data logging to manage battery ripple and low speed current control would be the MMX's biggest appeal to me personally.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    2400 is hard to find....

2200 is jsut fine on 3s and 4s --- or more

the mmx is better than the mm2, but not by a whole lot.... way better than the sc8 --- I would get an MMX

I would hope it would be WAY BETTER than the SC8 since it cost over $100 more. For an extra $100 (or more) it should toast my bread and make me coffee. Since it doesn't do either, I wonder what it does that makes it sooooooo much better.........and is the difference really worth $100 for a basher?

I read the description and a lot of the things it CAN do are extras that are not included. It CAN run sensored motors if you buy an optional cable (only $11, so that's not too bad), and it DOES have telemetry capabilities if you buy the extra cable for $50 and have a Futaba T4PX.

Of course, we are comparing apples to oranges here anyway since the Hobbywing WP SC8 is realistically in the same class as the MMP, which it easily beats in pretty much every way IMO. So basically it boils down to what batteries will you be running. If you plan on running 3s or lower the Hobbywing SC8 is a pretty good choice, and if you plan on running 4s and 6s you would be better off going with the MMX or some other ESC built for the higher cell count.

I'm not bashing the MMX; I don't own one so I can't comment on it's performance. It just doesn't seem like it's worth $100 more unless you want to run higher cell count lipos, which means you wouldn't be running a MMP or WP SC8 anyway. You would step up to a different class of ESC at that point........and to be honest, I don't think the MMX is the leader in 1/8 class ESC's.

Ps... if you want the pretty red X you have no choice but to buy the MMX. It does look cool!

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofreak View Post
    Ha Ha the red X does have its own appeal and if the can is also black I can see why that combination would look awesome.
    Yes, it does!

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    I don't have my X anymore, had to cut it out for my new fan.

Member of the triple digit club 100mph p4de

RC Enthusiast
    Those are all valid points, which makes this decision a bit difficult for me. I know I've read the 2200 runs cooler than the 2650, but of course those who own the motor can testify if that is true or not. I am ultimately a basher who likes to race on a lot of dirt / of road courses for fun (not competitively). But from what I have read basically if I choose

The 2200 I'll need to run 4's, which means I'll be choosing an MM2 / MMX ESC
    The 2650 I'll keep my 3's and I'll be choosing the hobbywing SC8

PS: Hey Squeegie what motor are you running anyway? Everytime I search castle creations site I always find the green tint cans.

One Final Motor Question

Those are all valid points, which makes this decision a bit difficult for me. I know I've read the 2200 runs cooler than the 2650, but of course those who own the motor can testify if that is true or not. I am ultimately a basher who likes to race on a lot of dirt / of road courses for fun (not competitively). But from what I have read basically if I choose

The 2200 I'll need to run 4's, which means I'll be choosing an MM2 / MMX ESC
    The 2650 I'll keep my 3's and I'll be choosing the hobbywing SC8

PS: Hey Squeegie what motor are you running anyway? Everytime I search castle creations site I always find the green tint cans.
    He runs the traxxas version which is a rebranded castle. It's the 2200 traxxas.
    He has the can I want but I'm not spending that much money just to change can colors lol.

RC Enthusiast
    OH yeah I see this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRAXXAS-...sAAOSwYmZXIpZl

That would explain a lot, he still running 3's on there?
    Last edited by pyrofreak; 07-02-2016 at 12:19 PM.

OH yeah I see this one: https://www.dollarhobbyz.com/product...rushless-motor

Yea that's it, but it can be found for a lot cheaper than that price. I'm not sure what he runs battery wise. I run 4s on mine most of the time and 3s every once in awhile.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah actually updated the link while you were replying, found one for like $80 but doesn't matter right now. I still need to decide if I want to get a 2200, run 4's and get a better ESC. Or keep my 3s and run 2650KV with a hobbywing SC8. It seems like a win win either way, I just need to decide which I want.

Yeah actually updated the link while you were replying, found one for like $80 but doesn't matter right now. I still need to decide if I want to get a 2200, run 4's and get a better ESC. Or keep my 3s and run 2650KV with a hobbywing SC8. It seems like a win win either way, I just need to decide which I want.
    2650kv is a nice motor, it's what I ran before the 2200kv. Fun on 3s and beast on 4s. It would get hot on 4s, but I had a heavy rc and southern heat is no joke. I will switch back to the 2650 eventually.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah your not kidding, I didn't even think about the outside temp. I live in Knoxville TN and the heat is killer here. I think your like 5 or so hours south of here, I'm pretty sure we experience the same heat +/- 6 degrees.

Yeah your not kidding, I didn't even think about the outside temp. I live in Knoxville TN and the heat is killer here. I think your like 5 or so hours south of here, I'm pretty sure we experience the same heat +/- 6 degrees.
    If it was me instead of buying the whole new combo I would just get the 2650kv with your 3s and that would be a good system. If in the future you decide you want more power then upgrade your esc and slap a 4s on the 2650. Yea it's suppose to be 98 here today.

OH yeah I see this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRAXXAS-...sAAOSwYmZXIpZl

Yes, I'm still on 3S. I want to get a 4S, but SPC is still on backorder...
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Yes, I'm still on 3S. I want to get a 4S, but SPC is still on backorder...
    Not saying SPC isn't the battery of choice but there are other brands out there to get you thru till there back in stock.
    My lhs has 4s lipos for $89 and I seriously doubt near close to spc quality but better then nothing.
    My 2200kv is imo , a bit of a slug on 3s.
    Maybe I'm used to the 2650's 3s performance being so nice.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

One Final Motor Question

Y'all need to email SPC and get on their waiting list. I recently got all the batteries I was waiting for in one big order!
    Rustler | MERV | Summit | Slash Ultimate | Slash

RC Enthusiast
    actually ended up picking a motor / esc combo, still buying some accessories and I'll post a update later as I suspect I'll still need advice