RC Competitor

Dual drag link mod, no-flex drag link, alternative for alu draglink

The problem with the drag link is bending under stress off cornering forces. The ends bend to each other upwards, the middle bends downwards. If the bending could be countered, the problem would be solved. I used a second traxxas drag link and mounted it back side up on top of the first. It works, they linked together by metal parts and won't flex, now the other connected steerring parts will bend before the two draglinks bend.

Partslist:
    1 pcs TRA6445 drag link
    2 pcs bearings 5x9x3mm as spacers
    1 bumpershaft art.103364 3x5x42mm, both end cutt of at 13,2mm, use those ends and drilled through at 3,1mm for use as bushing
    2 pcs 3x20mm hex, Traxxas bud i can’t find the part number.
    2 pcs inner damper/ resistant plates out off Traxxas 1/16 shocks, i can’t find the part number bud had them lying around.

A few pictures to show you what i did to fix the flex of the drag link:

Last edited by Mc T; 07-02-2016 at 12:11 PM.

RC Competitor
    Hi all,

I made some runs this morning, a no-flex drag link makes a very, very big difference in handling, while cornering bud also more easily to keep to drive in a straight line. Driving on hand paved surface and especially while cornering, you could see the front wheels shaking whild because of a flexing drag link. Now the wheels stay sturdy in the angle you are steering. This mod or fitting the alu drag link, a definitive must have upgrade.

RC Qualifier
    Nice work. Would be cool to see a video of you showing more angles of it if you have one.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Competitor
    Is a sketch helpfull, i have made a sketch of the assembled parts/ dual drag link mod:
    :

Great mod McT! I'm definitely going to have to try it.

RC Competitor
    There was a seller of alu draglinks in the Netherlands, 20 euro's, i can't find the ad (approx. two weeks ago). Bud i like Traxxas plastic. It's tough and it gives/ is flexing during crashes and in most cases tjat will result in no broken parts. Alu parts, installing them results in bending or the braking down of other parts (something hase to give ;-). And i'm not that impressed with the accuracy/ fitting (the alu drag link is a nice piece though) or wearing out fast. That's why i wanted to solve the problem with standard parts such as this dual draglink mod.

RC Qualifier
    I have the aluminum link it helps a lot.do u know if I can use slash 4x4 St racing Belk crank so it's all aluminum

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Albie72 View Post
    I have the aluminum link it helps a lot.do u know if I can use slash 4x4 St racing Belk crank so it's all aluminum
    It don't look the same to me bud maybe it fits. Those parts also in alu would be fine bud futher i would go for standard plastic.

To you all, for more knowledge and tips on set-up, i find the X-ray and Hudy set-up books very usefull, google and you find downloads.

RC Qualifier
    Just did the McT mod, I used slightly different parts but the outcome was the same. Thank you for the write up and idea, will be testing this weekend.
    IG: @818sFastestRC
    Slash 4x4 138MPH

Quote Originally Posted by Miltdoggie View Post
    Just did the McT mod, I used slightly different parts but the outcome was the same. Thank you for the write up and idea, will be testing this weekend.
    What did your use bro? I've seen yiu vids I know you got skills....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RadReptiles831 View Post
    What did your use bro? I've seen yiu vids I know you got skills....

Lol, thanks man!!

I used a 3x20 shoulder screw along with a shock mounting sleeve and used the inner ring from 2 old slash bearings as the spacer.
    IG: @818sFastestRC
    Slash 4x4 138MPH

If you got time can you post a pic. I was looking on ebay for a london shoulder screws like that and could find one.